• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Who’s biting big dexter

Just one last cast

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
WHO’s biting big dexter

So whilst having a go at feathering & spinning on a recent slow daytime session something odd occurred. No luck on the feathers (daylight white ones). Tried a dexter wedge but it was pretty rough & it was back in in no time so stuck on a big dexter about 4 inches long. On braid this can be cast a fair distance. A couple of times it tangled & I recognized the feeling of it was coming in sideways.

Then next cast low & behold a fish on but just as it reaches the beach it comes off before I can see it! This happened about four times, very frustrating.

On returning to the big beach today exactly the same things happened again. Definitely a fish putting up a fight & once again gone before I see it

It isn’t the ledge of the gutter, the line is kept tight. I’m thinking perhaps small bass? If so why don’t they take the smaller identical version.

Ps I am aware the fish will be around the surf but would rather cast past & retrieve back through.

Any ideas what’s going on please & how to rectify it.

Oh and it has a sharp treble hook fairly large size to match the wedge.

That is a strange one . Try other lures aswell and see if the same happens.
Are you pretty sure it was fish, and not some weird tide thing happening behind the breakers ,causing it to feel like fish on and off again. Which can happen .

Just read post again and you say definatly a fish so I'd say try other lures

Try using two split rings instead of just the one. Sometimes the fish can lever off the hook, particularly small active schoolies. Also, I find that single hooks, particularly semi-circle hooks keep the fish on better and cause less damage when unhooked.

I totally agree with what Where's Wally,I've got single hooks on 90% of my lures & they seem to work better with just a single hook on them.

You could be right Rock River,it could be a cuttlefish or a squid mate,it wouldn't surprise me if you are right

Cheers guys thanks for the input. Will add an extra ring & try a single circle hook along with some different lures next time out. Hadn’t considered squid or cuttlefish but it certainly went nuts before it let go. Will keep you posted if anything interesting happens.

Had something similar myself the other night fishing high tide. Definitely something on,good resistance then poof gone once you got into the last wave area. Happened a few times.

Back