• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Why do people bait fish?...

Fishyrob

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
Lure fishing has become pretty established this last decade, with evermore people spending more and more time with latex and metal pursuing an ever wider target list of species...

Personally, I lure fish because squid makes your hands stink. Although not as much as mackerel makes your hands stink. And latex and metal when left in your car in hot sun, don't make you vomit when you open the door and breathe in deeply. I also more and more enjoy the challenge of tricking fish in all conditions, and from my own observations, still feel the pursuit of fish with artificial is in its relevant infancy, seeing how many fish actually say no. And I do like a challenge...

How did you fall into loving latex, and do you too find it absorbing more and more of your rod hours?

In answer to your question, I find it more enjoyable.
I like casting a fly, but working plastics and rubber bores the hell out of me.
That's why I bait fish, that and I get a buzz out of swinging a lead into a raging gale!

Lure fishing has become pretty established this last decade, with evermore people spending more and more time with latex and metal pursuing an ever wider target list of species...

Personally, I lure fish because squid makes your hands stink. Although not as much as mackerel makes your hands stink. And latex and metal when left in your car in hot sun, don't make you vomit when you open the door and breathe in deeply. I also more and more enjoy the challenge of tricking fish in all conditions, and from my own observations, still feel the pursuit of fish with artificial is in its relevant infancy, seeing how many fish actually say no. And I do like a challenge...

How did you fall into loving latex, and do you too find it absorbing more and more of your rod hours?
For me I still enjoy both bait and lures, but I do feel and believe it sharpens you eye in watercraft, travelling light, following the feeding fish, and where are they feeding on the state of tide and weather conditions. that has in returned improved my bait fishing, finding better results and catch rates than before.

Lure fishing stated back in Zimbabwe, fishing for Tiger fish, Large Mouth Bass and Robustus. best session the bass was 214 fish in one day, between two of us. The best tiger on spoons was 15lbs of pure anger.

arriving here in the UK, 2009, I was so glad to see bass fishing on lures, but only took it up in the last 2 years.

Definatly the more I can get out the better

That's why I bait fish, that and I get a buzz out of swinging a lead into a raging gale!
yes but try casting a fly and lure fishing in a gale, very exciting, with huge results mate

If I chose to have a nice sit down, enjoying a sandwich and a cup of coffee then I'll bait fish
If I want the heart in mouth, adrenaline pumping in expectation, or anticipation of seeing a bass smash into a well worked surface lure........then I'll go lure fishing.
To be honest, I even find fishing Soft Plastic lures or metals a little dull

If I chose to have a nice sit down, enjoying a sandwich and a cup of coffee then I'll bait fish
If I want the heart in mouth, adrenaline pumping in expectation, or anticipation of seeing a bass smash into a well worked surface lure........then I'll go lure fishing.
I don't use metals to much, but the soft plastics will come into the their own , where hard lure wont work, for me any way

I love the variety and living in an area with mostly coloured seas would make lure fishing only very difficult at times.

Yeah, I love seeing a bass hit a surface lure, or even better, catching a mullet on the fly, but I think you're missing out if you only do that and don't bait fish at times.

I always say Id rather catch on lures but Id rather catch on bait than blank on lures.

Chuck a bait out in East Kent then your get dogs there's 100's of them and when they go the bloody tings take over

I love the variety and living in an area with mostly coloured seas would make lure fishing only very difficult at times.

Yeah, I love seeing a bass hit a surface lure, or even better, catching a mullet on the fly, but I think you're missing out if you only do that and don't bait fish at times.

I always say Id rather catch on lures but Id rather catch on bait than blank on lures.
I was being a little tongue in cheek, I live on a Sussex beach that folk travel miles to bait fish on. I do bait fish, but mostly November to January.
#hookedonlurefishing

Yaay... Hey shirley. ???

When it's not happening, its all bloody boring tbh... The older I get, the more action is important...

Absolutely. There are times and places for all techniques.

I love the adrenaline you get from lure fishing, I love the fact its on a light weight rod and you can feel every little bump and tap. I used to bait fish a lot but I feel a lot more goes into lure fishing, lots of casting lots of walking, lots of finding where the fish are rather than chucking out a big bait and waiting, oh your rods bent over!! Oh the line has weed on it , false alarm?

I have also learnt so much more about fishing since mainly using lures. I feel it's much more of a satisfaction catching on a lure than bait too.

Bait fishing is great when you want to chill out with some mates on a beach in the summer tho.

I started using lures as I was so far away from the coast that I’d often miss the tackle shops opening and digging bait was to me a valuable chunk of my time away from actually fishing.
Like many who start using lures, I had absolutely no idea what to buy or even what to do with them.
An expensive start followed by a couple of seasons with no success whatsoever, due mainly to taking my bait gear and lure fishing together.
I witnessed everyone else having success and ditched the bait gear and instead submitted myself to lure only approach.
I joined the old Lure Forum and met up with some of the guys off there about 10 years ago and they were a great help.
(That forum was bought by the same lot who ruined WSF recently, that said I’ll hold my tongue on what I think of certain members there who are not welcoming.)
I travel the country in search of Bass and occasionally salmonids or wrasse. I can load my motor and roam around the various coastlines with minimal load and never tire of the bend in my rod or the screaming drag.
I’ll no doubt go back to bait at some point, perhaps if I moved closer to the sea, but for now I’m just obsessed by the whole scene.

Trying to return to fishing (when my health allows me to get out) after many years of boat fishing with a mate. Spoons for Plaice, Redgills & similar for Pollack, Feathers for Mackerel etc, Fish to catch to eat.
Bait fishing is OK sometimes, but I love the freedom of being able to get out anytime 24/7, without having to run to the local tackle shops for fresh Rag/Lug/Squid etc. Had a bit of luck with Gulp artificial worms & similar, and it's so much easier. Maybe not quite as effective, but easier. Love the challenge of trying to catch species on lures/artificials that would normally only be targetted with bait. It encourages me to get a little creative at times!

Back