• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Why do people bait fish?...

Whilst I do enjoy chucking artificial baits around, I'm probably happier bait fishing. Lure fishing, you tend to be targeting specific species, whereas with bait, you have more chance of a mixed bag. If I only lure fished, I'd miss the unique flavour of may sandwiches after handling squid, sandeel and rag.

No two ways about it a hit on a surface lure on kit that weighs as much as most bait anglers terminal kit and bait is a huge rush , much moreso than bait angling , however like shirl i spent a lot of time casting over grass for 30 odd years so also enjoy bashing leads out.
Tings and dogs are pests but careful selection of bait and location normally minimise the aggro

Lures only for me, for the last 10 years, anyway. This last year has seen me thinking of having a go on bait again.
Not too fussed about targetting cod again but I miss fishing for big conger from the deep water marks at the Mull of Galloway.
Maybe a bit late to try it this year but could be on the cards for next summer.

For me I bait fish in the Winter as the Bass all clear off to warmer climes, I feel quite jealous of you SW boys when I read lure catch reports into November and beyond.
Having said that though, of the 31 Bass I landed this Summer, only 10 were caught on lures. The majority were caught with fresh dug worm using my lure rod and reel and 1oz weights when conditions allowed.

Theres a time and place for all types of fishing iam crap at shore lure angling unless I go old school Toby's or bubble float/bombarda redgills,if I want to do well then it's bait if I am on the shore.its down to conditions etc

That’s one reason why most of my Bass came to bait this Summer.........conditions. It seemed that the air was still all through the week then blowing a hoolie every weekend! Unlike the SW, the Lincs coast is mainly big, flat and open.......no rocky coves to find a sheltered spot so taking the forecast on board it was digging bait on the Saturday and fishing Sunday.
I did always take a few lures to try but the wind was generally always blowing at right angles to the line, in either direction and for my limited talent I just couldn’t work the lures.

That’s one reason why most of my Bass came to bait this Summer.........conditions. It seemed that the air was still all through the week then blowing a hoolie every weekend! Unlike the SW, the Lincs coast is mainly big, flat and open.......no rocky coves to find a sheltered spot so taking the forecast on board it was digging bait on the Saturday and fishing Sunday.
I did always take a few lures to try but the wind was generally always blowing at right angles to the line, in either direction and for my limited talent I just couldn’t work the lures.
Makes sense to me. It is about catching fish and not posing one way or the other.

I like to do both in the summer wack a bait out and mess about with the lure rod while waiting for a run on the big rod but in winter i just use bait.
I’ve tried that but got a crick in my neck retrieving the lure and looking around at the bait rod!

Use bait or fly as chucking lures bores the crap out of me
Have you ever tried a surface popper Stan? When a decent Bass takes from underneath and leaps 2’ out of the water with the lure in its mouth it really gives your heart a work out!

Back