• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Why do people bait fish?...

Use bait or fly as chucking lures bores the crap out of me
Probably the most exiting for me. Clambering around west coast rock marks or wading out on shallow reefs in the middle of the night. No light on, no sounds except the odd sea trout jumping or bass rolling. Trying to fish to features you know are there in daylight. Love it

Have you ever tried a surface popper Stan? When a decent Bass takes from underneath and leaps 2’ out of the water with the lure in its mouth it really gives your heart a work out!
I have indeed and caught on them but the fact that bluefish and bonito in the 8-14lb range were crashing them sort of takes away from the "thrill" of a bass hitting them. ;)

I have indeed and caught on them but the fact that bluefish and bonito in the 8-14lb range were crashing them sort of takes away from the "thrill" of a bass hitting them. ;)
Luckily for me I guess (or unluckily!) I don’t think I will ever have the opportunity to lose the thrill of taking a Bass on a popper . Not many bonito off the Lincs coast....

Lures only for me, for the last 10 years, anyway. This last year has seen me thinking of having a go on bait again.
Not too fussed about targetting cod again but I miss fishing for big conger from the deep water marks at the Mull of Galloway.
Maybe a bit late to try it this year but could be on the cards for next summer.
A big challenge from the shore, but I think not completely impossible on the south coast, a cod on a lure. Just saying like :) :) We are getting them afloat just now, and I have had plenty within casting range in recent years.

For me I bait fish in the Winter as the Bass all clear off to warmer climes, I feel quite jealous of you SW boys when I read lure catch reports into November and beyond.
Having said that though, of the 31 Bass I landed this Summer, only 10 were caught on lures. The majority were caught with fresh dug worm using my lure rod and reel and 1oz weights when conditions allowed.
Seas warming and will eventually come your way... :) We are seeing rapid changes in all sorts of ways, shapes and forms. And brilliant. Light lining for bass is awesome regardless of what you have on the end :) :)

Seas warming and will eventually come your way... :) We are seeing rapid changes in all sorts of ways, shapes and forms. And brilliant. Light lining for bass is awesome regardless of what you have on the end :) :)
In the Winter I use a 15’ beachcaster and 5, 6 or even 7oz grip leads. I cannot wait until that all gets put away and I have feisty schoolies on my light gear again.

I can think of a few reasons.!
1. They like stationery fishing
2. They like drowning worms
3. They're tired of losing expensive lures.

Fishing with my partner, we both love that way of fishing, small bucket of rag worm and we both use lure rods on a running ledger
It’s great sport isn’t it. Those schoolies really hit the bait and put a bend in the rod. One of the places we fish, we set up at low water, half a mile out from land and let the tide come in chest height around us. Fishing with a tripod and 2 lure rods, everything has to be above the water apart from usually the rod buts. Sometimes the Bass are biting in water knee high on the flood or ebb.

It’s great sport isn’t it. Those schoolies really hit the bait and put a bend in the rod. One of the places we fish, we set up at low water, half a mile out from land and let the tide come in chest height around us. Fishing with a tripod and 2 lure rods, everything has to be above the water apart from usually the rod buts. Sometimes the Bass are biting in water knee high on the flood or ebb.
Think some of our best memories with fun catch mullet or bass and a mini compbetween us , usually biggest fish, most fish and most species.

One thing I totally love, is wading in , and getting right in the mix of things at night, people walk right by you but don't know that your there. It almost makes the hunt for bass complete

Must admit it gets a little dicey if the wind gets up and puts a chop on the sea with the waves lapping over the top of my chesties! Unable to move I get very cold, even in summer. It’s a venue I would never fish on my own! Unhooking a feisty Bass when it is being held almost shoulder high has its own challenges too.......it’s almost Xtreme fishing!

Must admit it gets a little dicey if the wind gets up and puts a chop on the sea with the waves lapping over the top of my chesties! Unable to move I get very cold, even in summer. It’s a venue I would never fish on my own! Unhooking a feisty Bass when it is being held almost shoulder high has its own challenges too.......it’s almost Xtreme fishing!
But totally awesome though, live got those wild moments

Wrt the above , just beware that sometimes people do know your there.
One pleasant night some ratty ol baggage came screaming down the beach hurling all sorts of abuse at me "getting in there wont save you you $$@@%##$#" i was told , once i turned and said "do i know you ?", she growled off back under the bridge from whence it came forth.
Changed spot later on and shed found the "Love ? of her life" , was she tearing into him or what.
Was really funny but just be aware for mistaken identity, my mate Sole intentions narrowly escaped a large bench being thrown on him

Wrt the above , just beware that sometimes people do know your there.
One pleasant night some ratty ol baggage came screaming down the beach hurling all sorts of abuse at me "getting in there wont save you you $$@@%##$#" i was told , once i turned and said "do i know you ?", she growled off back under the bridge from whence it came forth.
Changed spot later on and shed found the "Love ? of her life" , was she tearing into him or what.
Was really funny but just be aware for mistaken identity, my mate Sole intentions narrowly escaped a large bench being thrown on him
Wow I want to go fishing were you fish, sounds very exiting

Wow I want to go fishing were you fish, sounds very exiting
Lol, used to be brilliant mate , used to kip in my touran thats got blacked out windows in my carp bed chair , the stuff you saw was amazing ! as used to be the fishing , gone from 100 plus 60s, to 20odd, to nothing this year , very sad even the commercials been drawing blanks

Back