• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Why do people bait fish?...

Lol, used to be brilliant mate , used to kip in my touran thats got blacked out windows in my carp bed chair , the stuff you saw was amazing ! as used to be the fishing , gone from 100 plus 60s, to 20odd, to nothing this year , very sad even the commercials been drawing blanks
That is Shocking mate, fishing has changed so much when you hear stories of old.

Yep! I havnt had a haircut since January. Wifey now calls it my ‘silly old mans hair’!
I keep getting told I need to trim my grey beard. I tell her I'm getting ready for Christmas! :D:D

Keep my grey beard short with scissors but my hair is longest it’s been for 45 years..........it’s great, it really annoys the missus!
Hahaha! Been out with the clippers this morning, all gone now! Made a loaf of bread, leisurely soak in the tub, lunch & dropped Wifeys car across to Cornwall for MOT. Don't think they're going to get to it this afternoon so gentleman of leisure until SWMBO comes home! ??

Not a bad day for you then......it’s been a miserable lot here most of the day. Ive just been pottering in my polytunnel most of the day with my pallet wood. Hopefully it’s a bit dryer tomorrow and I can earn a few pennies gardening for the morning.

For me I still enjoy both bait and lures, but I do feel and believe it sharpens you eye in watercraft, travelling light, following the feeding fish, and where are they feeding on the state of tide and weather conditions. that has in returned improved my bait fishing, finding better results and catch rates than before.

Lure fishing stated back in Zimbabwe, fishing for Tiger fish, Large Mouth Bass and Robustus. best session the bass was 214 fish in one day, between two of us. The best tiger on spoons was 15lbs of pure anger.

arriving here in the UK, 2009, I was so glad to see bass fishing on lures, but only took it up in the last 2 years.

Definatly the more I can get out the better
I started fishing in Zim and Zam for tigers when I was just a kid. Long time ago. We used to float fish little frogs on very light gear and managed some serious hauls. Brilliant fun.

I started fishing in Zim and Zam for tigers when I was just a kid. Long time ago. We used to float fish little frogs on very light gear and managed some serious hauls. Brilliant fun.
woooow another country man , , awesome fun mate, we used frogs for the barbel comps at lake chivero

woooow another country man , , awesome fun mate, we used frogs for the barbel comps at lake chivero
It was fun. We (me and dad) fished Kafue, Zambezi a lot plus various lakes and reservoirs on private land. If the fishing was slow it helped to twitch the poor little frogs slowly to induce a bite, sort of half way between lure and bait fishing I guess. We kept a bait out ledgered to try and catch a few catfish but it was the tigers we really wanted. Come evening as the light levels dropped the tigers used to come on the feed big time.

It was fun. We (me and dad) fished Kafue, Zambezi a lot plus various lakes and reservoirs on private land. If the fishing was slow it helped to twitch the poor little frogs slowly to induce a bite, sort of half way between lure and bait fishing I guess. We kept a bait out ledgered to try and catch a few catfish but it was the tigers we really wanted. Come evening as the light levels dropped the tigers used to come on the feed big time.
Never went to Kafue, heard so much about it.

Nothing like hooking into a tiger, very hard fighting, The company dad and I own,came with a company house at Charara, 4 pm finish work, zip up to kariba getting the 8ish ready for fishing the next morning at Naodza and Sanyati for the tiger

Never fished Kariba. Took a visit to see but the dam was not complete back then. They were still finnishing the road on the top. The flood waters had pushed thousands of snakes up onto the high ground where they just sat around. I suppose they did disperse eventually, or got squashed by the giant tipper trucks etc. I didn't want to get out of the car at first but my sister did so I had no choice. Kafue was wild and beautiful with amazing bird life but you had to be careful or the crocs would get you. Good times fondly remembered.

Never fished Kariba. Took a visit to see but the dam was not complete back then. They were still finnishing the road on the top. The flood waters had pushed thousands of snakes up onto the high ground where they just sat around. I suppose they did disperse eventually, or got squashed by the giant tipper trucks etc. I didn't want to get out of the car at first but my sister did so I had no choice. Kafue was wild and beautiful with amazing bird life but you had to be careful or the crocs would get you. Good times fondly remembered.
Oh my, snakes ....... Love to see them but do not like touching them.

Wow mate, so when did you leave Africa ?

I heard so much about Kafue, from the fishing to wildlife. You are so lucky to have experienced it in its untouched state.

1966 when there was still plenty of wildlife to be seen. Did see one chap taken by a croc which was pretty sobering. Dad did warn him but would not listen.

1966 when there was still plenty of wildlife to be seen. Did see one chap taken by a croc which was pretty sobering. Dad did warn him but would not listen.
Wow, that's not a nice thing to see, crocs are so clever, they have sused you out before you even knew they were there.

Crocs are doing well now, kariba I think the ban on killing them is still in place, kariba is what 280 kms long and 40 km wide , and they reckon that the is a croc for every 20 foot of shore line .

They are pretty cunning. If they see you they will swim upstream and then float down with the current snatch you of the bank and drag you under. You won't even see them 'til it's too late. This particular bloke was a tourist from Yorkshire and he just would not listen. Stood with his feet actually in the water. He went under with hardly a splash and that was it. We used to pick a streach of vertical bank, a few feet will do, and then we were safe. Only had to worry about the other stuff which might appear after that.

That's nothing we use ducklings for pike on the river wye!,or live mice and goldfish from the petshop! Lol

They are pretty cunning. If they see you they will swim upstream and then float down with the current snatch you of the bank and drag you under. You won't even see them 'til it's too late. This particular bloke was a tourist from Yorkshire and he just would not listen. Stood with his feet actually in the water. He went under with hardly a splash and that was it. We used to pick a streach of vertical bank, a few feet will do, and then we were safe. Only had to worry about the other stuff which might appear after that.
That's the problem, it's the threat unseen I worry most about, and it's everywhere. I miss it so much, a very specail place in this world we live in.

That's nothing we use ducklings for pike on the river wye!,or live mice and goldfish from the petshop! Lol
????, and if the public knew , oh dear, If we had access to bait like that we would have used it, but it didn't take much to get a strike , as long as you chum the water with Kapenta , you would draw the shoal, but that was not need in some parts

I was born and raised off Umvukwes. One of my earliest memories of fishing was getting my ass paddled by my grandfather for running off with his blow up lilo after he retrieved his float from the Zambezi by paddling out to it. Tight fisted old goat would rather run the guantlet with crocs than loose his penny float.

Back