• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Why do you fish?

Just being out there. Fished since I was in short trousers and a trip to Southend pier was a real treat. Never kill anything I can't eat in one sitting or I don't like eating. Lakes and rivers are OK but there is nothing like a good surf beach with the wind in your teeth or perched on some rocky mark keeping one eye on the sea. Bait, fly, lure etc I don't care all have their place and I enjoy them all.

The most ridiculous past time ever. Spending a bank vault full of money to catch a pin whiting. Sitting for countless hours in all manner of sh1te weather, hoping and praying for any sort of rod tip movement. Wondering why crabs prefer your bait. Realising that your own little nippers are now grown men and consider you to have some sort of mental disorder as you play with your tackle in the shed. Wondering why your wifey still despairs as you wake up at 3am to wet a line. Insisting on making her understand that 600+ quid is a wise decision to find out how deep the water is. Oh yeah, there's that smell as well, that god awful stench. Lets not forget the mind numbing forums and you tube channels that glorify the whole shebang. Disgusting. You should be ashamed of yourselves.

Tight lines :devilish:

The most ridiculous past time ever. Spending a bank vault full of money to catch a pin whiting. Sitting for countless hours in all manner of sh1te weather, hoping and praying for any sort of rod tip movement. Wondering why crabs prefer your bait. Realising that your own little nippers are now grown men and consider you to have some sort of mental disorder as you play with your tackle in the shed. Wondering why your wifey still despairs as you wake up at 3am to wet a line. Insisting on making her understand that 600+ quid is a wise decision to find out how deep the water is. Oh yeah, there's that smell as well, that god awful stench. Lets not forget the mind numbing forums and you tube channels that glorify the whole shebang. Disgusting. You should be ashamed of yourselves.

Tight lines :devilish:
Quite agree great init ?

I think I fish as it’s something I have always done. Well nearly always...I’m 66 now and can remember fishing with my dear old Dad from the age of about 6. He would be stood on the rocks fishing into the Camel Estuary, Cornwall, hoping for an Bass, while I would fish in the deep gullies and huge rock pools for Blennies and small Pollack. I remember my first rod was made from an old tv ariel, bamboo cane and wire rings....worked perfectly well for me!
I fished alongside Dad up until leaving school at 19 and then had a period of a few short years when I left home and beer, women, cars, night clubs........you know the story!
Married and settled in Lincolnshire in the mid 80’s I bought a complete set up and have been fishing regularly since.
My Dad is no longer here and I really miss not being able to phone and tell him about my days session.
I guess I have always been a bit of a day dreamer (according to many school reports) and what better time to drift away than while looking up at the rod tips?
i do take the odd fish for my pot or friends who appreciate fresh fish but the vast majority of my catch are returned as quickly and carefully as possible.
Looking forward to lots more day dreaming sessions....

I think I fish as it’s something I have always done. Well nearly always...I’m 66 now and can remember fishing with my dear old Dad from the age of about 6. He would be stood on the rocks fishing into the Camel Estuary, Cornwall, hoping for an Bass, while I would fish in the deep gullies and huge rock pools for Blennies and small Pollack. I remember my first rod was made from an old tv ariel, bamboo cane and wire rings....worked perfectly well for me!
I fished alongside Dad up until leaving school at 19 and then had a period of a few short years when I left home and beer, women, cars, night clubs........you know the story!
Married and settled in Lincolnshire in the mid 80’s I bought a complete set up and have been fishing regularly since.
My Dad is no longer here and I really miss not being able to phone and tell him about my days session.
I guess I have always been a bit of a day dreamer (according to many school reports) and what better time to drift away than while looking up at the rod tips?
i do take the odd fish for my pot or friends who appreciate fresh fish but the vast majority of my catch are returned as quickly and carefully as possible.
Looking forward to lots more day dreaming sessions....
Day dreaming?? And I thought you was just crap Alan ????

To be at peace, and quite, but not always possible with the gale force winds, that always draws you to the shore, the sound of the wave lapping or crashing the shingle. Always hoping for a catch of a decent fish, and if not, so what, there is always another time. But out in the fresh salty air with nature, with some beautiful beaches, shorelines, rock marks, breath taking scenery, Sunrise to Sunset, Dawn to Dusk, Night times, Moonlit or pitch black. All weathers, Wind, Rain, Showers, Sun, not so much Snow and Ice these days now, but just something i have always enjoy doing, since a young boy.

Grew up fishing. My father and both Grandfathers fished primarily for the pot. The days of fishing for hounds or huss etc are pretty much over for me, there is nothing better though than coming home with a bit of fresh good eating fish for the pan. If I am bored though and near a source of water I will fish for whatever swims.
Love the solitude and sense of completeness standing in water up to my waste in the complete darkness. Ears, eyes and mind focussed on the job in hand

I started fishing when i was eight . I caught my first fish in this pond amongst the cluster of trees on the map here : https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.0909102,-2.8594747,75m/data=!3m1!1e3
We walked across five fields with ditches and barbed wire fences with shakespere boxes and large holdalls on our backs to get there . A proper slog . Part of my soul has a datum point set there . There has always been an ancient family of foxes who live in a large underground set under the trees at the back of the pond. When we used to fish there alot, we used to leave them some cat buiscuits by the set . And they would come out while we were fishing to eat them . The fishing is no longer evident in there when i went to visit the pond last year and never got a bite . The water level then was 3-4ft down than average . It used to be a popular natural fishing pond round there before private fisherys sprang up . Just by learning the hobby of fishing has opened up many other knowledge routes that i wouldnt otherwise know about nature and the earth by not going fishing . Other than course fishing . I was in new brighton sea angling club for a few years traveling around the uk beachcasting with them . I have also been in a boat fishing club going out the mersey bar light and fishing off wales / anglesey boats , whitby . scarborough . Fished for carp in canada 3 times . Im now in a syndicate club with a private lake near by since 2009.
My latest fishing scene of interest is the tidal river douglas that ive been getting good natural dangling from .

I started fishing when i was eight . I caught my first fish in this pond amongst the cluster of trees on the map here : https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.0909102,-2.8594747,75m/data=!3m1!1e3
We walked across five fields with ditches and barbed wire fences with shakespere boxes and large holdalls on our backs to get there . A proper slog . Part of my soul has a datum point set there . There has always been an ancient family of foxes who live in a large underground set under the trees at the back of the pond. When we used to fish there alot, we used to leave them some cat buiscuits by the set . And they would come out while we were fishing to eat them . The fishing is no longer evident in there when i went to visit the pond last year and never got a bite . The water level then was 3-4ft down than average . It used to be a popular natural fishing pond round there before private fisherys sprang up . Just by learning the hobby of fishing has opened up many other knowledge routes that i wouldnt otherwise know about nature and the earth by not going fishing . Other than course fishing . I was in new brighton sea angling club for a few years traveling around the uk beachcasting with them . I have also been in a boat fishing club going out the mersey bar light and fishing off wales / anglesey boats , whitby . scarborough . Fished for carp in canada 3 times . Im now in a syndicate club with a private lake near by since 2009.
My latest fishing scene of interest is the tidal river douglas that ive been getting good natural dangling from .
Hell those foxes wouldve had it! We used to take the terriers with us when we went coarse fishing!

Hell those foxes wouldve had it! We used to take the terriers with us when we went coarse fishing!
Im glad its off the road a little cfish . Theyre protected somewhat by that detail ( hopefully ). It dosnt look like the set has ever been dug out . The farmer whos field it is i guess likes nature to stay the way it is there . (y)

Back