• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Why do you fish?

Started with my dad when I was 5yr old. Now it's all about "escaping" and having a laugh with friends. Solo sessions in Argyll are for "clearing" my head. Can't explain why but being near water, be that river, loch or sea relaxes me and calms me down.

Started with my dad when I was 5yr old. Now it's all about "escaping" and having a laugh with friends. Solo sessions in Argyll are for "clearing" my head. Can't explain why but being near water, be that river, loch or sea relaxes me and calms me down.
Something about water warbs ,watching it go by on a river or hearing it rush along shingle or what ever.
Very calming

I have a weird feeling that the sea dosnt like me . Its nearly had me a fair few times . I firstly remember getting Swept out in to a rip current and was rescued by 2 lads off moreton when i was about 9.

Another time was while i was walking my pet ferrets on formby beach, i came across a gillnet and i started untangling live edible crabs from the net and when i looked behind me . the tide had swept in behind me and i had to resort to crossing a 100+ foot wide gully that was gushing left to right like a salmon river while i had my ferrets on my shoulders . another very scary moment with no phone on me or nothing .

One more rememberable moment was when 10 of us was fishing off a charter boat off flamborough head and a rough wave came over the back and into the boat and knocked everyone off there feet .

why do i fish?........buggered if i know really, it's just become a habit.

Natural hunter-gatherer instinct. I used to eat many of the fresh water fish I caught back in the forties and fifties. ?
Initially like Warbs I started about 5 yo out with dad, as a family we ate as did our friends and relatives much of what we caught which back then was predominantly trout, sea trout and salmon with the odd sea fishing trip thrown in for cod, whiting, flounder plaice, mackerel etc.
We still enjoy eating what I catch, when I get out and catch anyway, sometimes bringing back wild berries or mushrooms if there are any about so like you Pigtin very much hunter gatherer.

I eat the first couple of fish I ever caught, a couple of perch about 1/2 lb. I even eat roach. Pike were very nice but gudgeon fried in butter were my favorite. Drew the line at bream, and tench were absolutely foul. I never had access to game fish.
My grandparents were Dutch, so had some expertise at cooking fw fish.

Eaten perch,pike,gudgeon,carp and agree on the bream and tench?but my favourite is eel and still is??smoked,jellied,fried in butter still wriggling??love it.
Yep, had smoked eel in Amsterdam, it was very nice indeed.

I am sure Jack Hargreaves caught an eel and cooked it possibly in a smoker on the parapet of and old stone bridge in one of his programmes.

Trout & Salmon from rivers and lakes for me, you can keep the rest.
And most stuff from sea, except doggies.

Yep, had smoked eel in Amsterdam, it was very nice indeed.

I am sure Jack Hargreaves caught an eel and cooked it possibly in a smoker on the parapet of and old stone bridge in one of his programmes.
Eel done the Japanese way is fantastic. Skinned and cut into 2" lengths. Marinated overnight in a mixture of soy sauce, sugar, and a drop of sherry. Grilled, while being basted with the marinade mixture...
Food of the gods.?

Back