• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West A first for me

John Mitchell

Reaction score
Ben and i went out last night to use up a load of rag from a trip on Wednesday which was bad , weather wise , etc
well it was another rubbish trip apart from a wrasse I caught about a pound .
BUT and it’s a big BUT we saw an otter it swam in front of us , at first we thought it was a dog but then we realised it was a big otter , WOW that’s all I can say .

Ben and i went out last night to use up a load of rag from a trip on Wednesday which was bad , weather wise , etc
well it was another rubbish trip apart from a wrasse I caught about a pound .
BUT and it’s a big BUT we saw an otter it swam in front of us , at first we thought it was a dog but then we realised it was a big otter , WOW that’s all I can say .
Brilliant spot John it's part of what makes fishing so enjoyable for me I had a deer walk past me the other night while fly fishing then on my way back to the car a fox crossed my path oh and one trout returned not a bad evening ?

Always a great joy to see otters. I see them a fair bit over on the west coast of Scotland. They're making a comeback over here in the east with frequent sightings in and around Edinburgh. I encountered one in the park (Braidburn Valley) at the end of my street while out walking Alfie one night. He barked at it then got confused when it did an "exit stage left" into the burn.

Nice one John! I was just wondering how you boys got on. Lovely sighting the Otter. ????

Yes one of the joys of fishing seeing the wildlife , otters are scarce in and around plymouth, I think they are starting to pop up here and there , hence the lack of fish . Me thinks ???

Bet that was great seeing him swim by, beats seeing bloody seals!!, well done on the wrasse (y) (y)

If I saw one it would probably take a fish off of my line. It's already happened this year by seals and a dolphin.
Seals are a regular accurance down our way , not so many dolphins , Tuna definitely seen them jump , seen killer whales , but only one otter

Seals are a regular accurance down our way , not so many dolphins , Tuna definitely seen them jump , seen killer whales , but only one otter
There was a Seal at Mount Wise last time we were down there, just after you left. I think Ben saw it. Not seen one up the river before.

The seal was in plymouth all last summer , it even had a minder down the Barbican, it was a young female
How do you know it is the same one? Are you on first name terms with her? ??

Back