• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

A second blank...... but steps in the right direction

RichfromLincs

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
The return to Huttoft..... and the sequel to my first outing in 25yrs

A few jobs and a trip to the peak district were holding things up but, I was keeping a keen eye on the weather and the tide times. I'm not really a people person, so it was important to time my return to avoid the worst of the crowds. After an eager wait, eventually everything fell into place and the high tide was at 19:30 (ish) with me arriving around 17:30

About the first thing I'd learned from last time was that arriving earlier would buy me more time, that's pretty obvious really so the next lesson was tougher baits will get me longer casts and therefore longer fishing time! So, my mackerel and raw prawns were really helping and my casts noticeably improved - to around 80-100yds I think

Once both rods were out and two rigs waiting baited for the next cast, it was time for some sarnies and filter coffee (an unusual treat), The sea was much calmer this time, the leads held well and I'd set the drags so any more than the rods' tension would take line - and, nothing! After multiple casts and re-baits, I hadn't noticed even the slightest twitch

Still, I was much happier with the casts and hadn't seen anyone else catch so, I wasn't doing bad - I was enjoying the peace and, as we all understand, ever hopeful

Sadly, nothing at all happened until about an hour into the ebb - I didn't see any movement in the rod tips but the line started to peel off, albeit quite slowly. Three times I struck at it but to no avail - either it was something small or just the current/weed etc

That's about it, I'm sorry to say - so, my main question is about bait size - is a chunk of mackerel about 1.5" x 1" or half of a king prawn on a 1/0 too big? I noticed the "bites" came an hour or so after high tide and on smaller baits (1" x 1/2")

And, secondly, would i be better off with rigs that get the bait off the bottom?

The return to Huttoft..... and the sequel to my first outing in 25yrs

A few jobs and a trip to the peak district were holding things up but, I was keeping a keen eye on the weather and the tide times. I'm not really a people person, so it was important to time my return to avoid the worst of the crowds. After an eager wait, eventually everything fell into place and the high tide was at 19:30 (ish) with me arriving around 17:30

About the first thing I'd learned from last time was that arriving earlier would buy me more time, that's pretty obvious really so the next lesson was tougher baits will get me longer casts and therefore longer fishing time! So, my mackerel and raw prawns were really helping and my casts noticeably improved - to around 80-100yds I think

Once both rods were out and two rigs waiting baited for the next cast, it was time for some sarnies and filter coffee (an unusual treat), The sea was much calmer this time, the leads held well and I'd set the drags so any more than the rods' tension would take line - and, nothing! After multiple casts and re-baits, I hadn't noticed even the slightest twitch

Still, I was much happier with the casts and hadn't seen anyone else catch so, I wasn't doing bad - I was enjoying the peace and, as we all understand, ever hopeful

Sadly, nothing at all happened until about an hour into the ebb - I didn't see any movement in the rod tips but the line started to peel off, albeit quite slowly. Three times I struck at it but to no avail - either it was something small or just the current/weed etc

That's about it, I'm sorry to say - so, my main question is about bait size - is a chunk of mackerel about 1.5" x 1" or half of a king prawn on a 1/0 too big? I noticed the "bites" came an hour or so after high tide and on smaller baits (1" x 1/2")

And, secondly, would i be better off with rigs that get the bait off the bottom?
I've struggled just lately to catch and even with top class baits like peeler crab and fresh prawns and dirty squid. One day the fish are there and the next day there gone. Your probably not doing any thing wrong and if the fish are not there with all the will in the world you still blank. Just stick at it . Try one rod 20 or 30 yds out with a two hook flapper with small but strong Aberdeen hooks with small worm baits and the other rod cast that to the maximum with a dirty squid bait .

Fishing is a mystery ,too me at any rate :ROFLMAO: You cannot catch what is not there but by the same token it is in the lap of the gods why any fish should take a bait that is inanimate and fixed in position. The simple fact is that all you can do is use what is considered the best possible bait and try your luck it is then pure serendipity as to whether your bait is taken by a fish. This is where I think shore fishing and boat fishing differ slightly, when boat fishing it is possible to give your bait a bit of movement to encourage a take... and of course three is also the advantage of fish finding sonar so you know there are fish there to catch.
I share your situation because where I am trying to catch I am sure there are fish in the area maybe just not where I am fishing and I may be using the wrong tactics to catch them. I have some ideas for my next trip one of them being a large balrag type sea float to cast a long distance over rocky ground that a bottom fished bait may snag on and be able to slowly move the bait with a gentle stepped retrieve. It is a great day out trying to catch the B's though:ROFLMAO:

Your not doing anything wrong as such, as others say, the fish may just not be there.
JJ is right, try a close in rod aswell as one further out and vary the distances abit aswell as you may find your casting over the fish and missing them all together. Depending on the beach, I sometimes go as close in as 10 yds as thats where I've had my best bass and it's surprising how little water fish actually feed in.
Does the beach have any lug/rag beds on it at all? They'd be prime fishing ground I'd imagine if so.
Have you thought about trying to find someone who fishes your area and maybe tagging along with them to see if they do anything differently to you or if they can advise what may help? There are a few people on here who I believe fish your area or there abouts.
Another thing would be to see if there's any catch reports from your area and see what sort of times, bait, distance, etc....that people use and try to gain some extra knowledge.

Back