• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Another rod....

bacon

Reaction score
So I was cruising Gumtree at the weekend and noticed a Grauvell Vertix Gravity KW MT450 local to me, he had never used it since purchasing it in a closing down sale at Veals last year. I don't need any more rods, but for what it cost it was a no brainer to me. With a full set of kwags fitted too I can't complain.
Being the only 3 piece rod I now own perhaps it can be the travel rod when trying to fit fishing gear in around all the baby/stuff and the dog......

It is rather beefy for a conti, weighing in at 699g with a 24.7mm butt section, 4.5m (roughly 15ft) long, pretty stiff throughout with a mixed tip, which seems like a very short (3 inches or so, from the last guide ot the tip ring) length of solid glass for the tip.

It is rated to 275g, so is at the stiff end of the conti spectrum.
I will be giving it a go with 5-6oz plus whole squid when I am next out, maybe 7oz if needed, see how it copes with the tidal pull, anyone used one? It feels quite stiff throughout so we will see if it copes with BC mixed ground fishing or not.

Cheers

So I was cruising Gumtree at the weekend and noticed a Grauvell Vertix Gravity KW MT450 local to me, he had never used it since purchasing it in a closing down sale at Veals last year. I don't need any more rods, but for what it cost it was a no brainer to me. With a full set of kwags fitted too I can't complain.
Being the only 3 piece rod I now own perhaps it can be the travel rod when trying to fit fishing gear in around all the baby/stuff and the dog......

It is rather beefy for a conti, weighing in at 699g with a 24.7mm butt section, 4.5m (roughly 15ft) long, pretty stiff throughout with a mixed tip, which seems like a very short (3 inches or so, from the last guide ot the tip ring) length of solid glass for the tip.

It is rated to 275g, so is at the stiff end of the conti spectrum.
I will be giving it a go with 5-6oz plus whole squid when I am next out, maybe 7oz if needed, see how it copes with the tidal pull, anyone used one? It feels quite stiff throughout so we will see if it copes with BC mixed ground fishing or not.

Cheers
Nice find Bacon! I've got a Vertix Jack which I love, but it's only rated 100 - 200g so quite a bit lighter. I'll try to remember to weigh it sometime. Not sure about the Vertix gravity, but one of the things I like about mine is the decent neoprene case it came in. Good quality rod - I enjoy using it. If it gets to the stage you don't get on with it, think of me! Looking for another Vertix Jack. ??

Grauvell-Vertix-JackP.jpg

Ah, no neoprene case here! It's a sort of velvet bag, a proper case would have been great....

It does have a scratch on the mid section, assume from in store in Veals before he bought it. I got it for the sum of £50....which is what he said he paid in the closing down sale. I won't gripe at that.

I did find the rod details in the end on some archived versions of the vmo website. So it doesn't look like it was a cheap rod when released.

Screenshot_20210419_213014_com.android.chrome.jpgScreenshot_20210419_213124_com.android.chrome.jpgScreenshot_20210419_213140_com.android.chrome.jpg

Nice! I got mine from an eBay crowd called home-un-leisure. They were selling a lot of Grauvell rods (both auction & buy-it-now) back at the end of 2018. Mine was stated to be £299 RRP but they were selling them buy-it-now for £149 and putting some up for auction. I sat on the fence like a Buzzard waiting for one to come up near auction end at a good price. Paid £57 I think. Home-un-leisure have still got cases for sale for about £19.

Daveys fishing tackle have got a few Vertix rods for sale, but he's fortune hunting with most of his prices!

Nice, looking forward to trying it out. Defo feels like a powerful rod! Be interesting to see how a 15ft rod as stiff as this performs with an otg cast. Bearing in mind I'm 5ft 6 and under 11 stone!

Sounds like your Jack was a bargain mate

Well all is not well!

I went out with it Friday and found the mid section male end was split. I didn't use it.....luckily I took a 3rd rod just in case.

When I picked the rod up all looked fine, when the gent was dropping the sections of the rod back into the bag one section hit the floor, from within the bag. So I am assuming this is when it split.

signal-2021-05-01-154349.jpg
The split extends through the scratch.

I wouldn't normally bother with contacting the seller, but I was a bit annoyed, so I messaged the guy expressing my dissapointment. I know with private sales you can basically jog on so I wasn't expecting a reply even, but he replied and was mortified that it was damaged.

Long story short, he offered my money back, or said I can have it as it is for £20, so I took a partial refund and I will now try to repair it. He was a gent throughout, shame about the rod.

Now then my repair plan, I plan to get a carbon tube/section of old rod. Whatever I can find that is a close fit, then bond it in with epoxy adhesive. Any cracks on the exposed spigot I will try and get adhesive in, then I will whip approx 18cm of the rod to fully encapsulate the cracks and then some.

I've whipped it already, so I will apply flex coat tonight, I then need to bond in a tube on the inside to cover the entire area affected.

Can anyone think of an alternative approach to this repair?

Cheers

Should really need no thread wrap, just a good fit insert, carbon or glass. Preferably glass, hollow. I may be reading it wrong but if you thread wrap over the split area how on earth will you get itto fit into the female??

Cheers for the reply Stan, and excuse my poor description, I've left 100mm bare for fitting into the female joint. Then 180mm of thread to encapsulate the rest of the split and then some. The main split is actually 200mm long...

I'll see what I can knock up at work. Failing that I'll look on eBay for some tube, or an old rod I can cut up.

I need at least 200mm long and at least 16mm OD. Ideally larger so that I can fettle to a very close fit with the taper.

OK gotcha. Still not 100% certain you need the thread wrap, internal repair piece should be sufficient, done it dozens of times. I`ll have a look workshop tomorrow, I`ve got mountains of glass sections in there I`ll send you a bit down. Assume the 16mm is at the end of the joint so would need 16mm increasing to take into account the taper. Ideally insert from the opposite female end.

Hi Stan, that is incredibly kind of you.

This male joint inserts into the butt of the rod. So it is the widest part of the section.

The ID here where the split starts is 16.7mm diameter, assuming the same wall thickness throughout I have made the approximation that the diameter at the tip of the split to be approx 16.3mm. but I'd like it to go a little further. But yeh a little over 16mm would be good, allow for a bond line of adhesive etc, if its tapered then all the better.

You are probably right that I don't need the thread wrap, but I scraped off all the paint to see how far the crack had propogated so it needed something.

So I whipped over it last night to tidy it up as well as reinforce the whole area. Worst case I've made it a little heavier than it needed to be and wasted a bobbin of thread. I had a red that was similar, ish, and I finished off with silver when that ran out (the guides are currently finished with silver thread anyway). Hopefully won't look out of place when done, tempted to coat it tonight.

Hi Stan, that is incredibly kind of you.

This male joint inserts into the butt of the rod. So it is the widest part of the section.

The ID here where the split starts is 16.7mm diameter, assuming the same wall thickness throughout I have made the approximation that the diameter at the tip of the split to be approx 16.3mm. but I'd like it to go a little further. But yeh a little over 16mm would be good, allow for a bond line of adhesive etc, if its tapered then all the better.

You are probably right that I don't need the thread wrap, but I scraped off all the paint to see how far the crack had propogated so it needed something.

So I whipped over it last night to tidy it up as well as reinforce the whole area. Worst case I've made it a little heavier than it needed to be and wasted a bobbin of thread. I had a red that was similar, ish, and I finished off with silver when that ran out (the guides are currently finished with silver thread anyway). Hopefully won't look out of place when done, tempted to coat it tonight.
OK, I`ll have something that will do the job. I`ll send you a few variations so you can play around. Glass is a better repair. PM name and adress and I`ll sort you something out. FOC. Matter of interest a drop on the floor did not do a split that length, been stood on or jammed in something.

Well all is not well!

I went out with it Friday and found the mid section male end was split. I didn't use it.....luckily I took a 3rd rod just in case.

When I picked the rod up all looked fine, when the gent was dropping the sections of the rod back into the bag one section hit the floor, from within the bag. So I am assuming this is when it split.

View attachment 9074
The split extends through the scratch.

I wouldn't normally bother with contacting the seller, but I was a bit annoyed, so I messaged the guy expressing my dissapointment. I know with private sales you can basically jog on so I wasn't expecting a reply even, but he replied and was mortified that it was damaged.

Long story short, he offered my money back, or said I can have it as it is for £20, so I took a partial refund and I will now try to repair it. He was a gent throughout, shame about the rod.

Now then my repair plan, I plan to get a carbon tube/section of old rod. Whatever I can find that is a close fit, then bond it in with epoxy adhesive. Any cracks on the exposed spigot I will try and get adhesive in, then I will whip approx 18cm of the rod to fully encapsulate the cracks and then some.

I've whipped it already, so I will apply flex coat tonight, I then need to bond in a tube on the inside to cover the entire area affected.

Can anyone think of an alternative approach to this repair?

Cheers
Aw Mike, that's really bad. Hopefully you can do the business on it and I'm still hoping to hear what you think of it when you get chance to use it. It's no consolation to you, but if Grauvell had supplied that rod with a decent padded bag like my Jack, it probably wouldn't have happened.

OK, I`ll have something that will do the job. I`ll send you a few variations so you can play around. Glass is a better repair. PM name and adress and I`ll sort you something out. FOC. Matter of interest a drop on the floor did not do a split that length, been stood on or jammed in something.
Brilliant of you to offer some help Stan! ??

Like you, I thought the damage was a bit too severe if the thick end of that middle section had tapped the floor as it went in the bag. Thank heavens, as I mentioned above, my Jack came with a thick padded neoprene case.

Ouch, hope you manage a repair.

Stan has kindly put a piece of E glass tube into the post for me, very much appreciated.

With some luck I'll have it fitted by the end of next week and ready for its first outing :)

Hopefully I can do a good enough job of it!

Stan has kindly put a piece of E glass tube into the post for me, very much appreciated.

With some luck I'll have it fitted by the end of next week and ready for its first outing :)

Hopefully I can do a good enough job of it!

End of next feckin` week ????o_Oo_O It`s a fifteen minute job,(including the tidy up after)

I've got a 1yr old mate......I don't get much free time, haha, I'll flex coat this weekend over what I've already done, then bond the spigot repair one evening if I can.

Back