• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Bait boards (Boat) - Whats best ?

SteveT

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Boat
Hi all,

(Hope this is ok to post)

IMHO there is not a decent bait board out there at a reasonable price that exists, so...

As a boat fisherman and engineer specifically in plastic, I'm considering making one or a few versions that fit everyone’s needs and producing them to sell small batch, initially handmade / machined as opposed to a simple moulded generic version.

So looking for suggestions of what you do & don't like and what you would like to see in terms of size and features also what it would be worth to you in terms of cost, which obviously could limit the features.

The idea is to incorporate all things to all men (or women) in an affordable price.

Seems the simplest way to get it right is to ask experienced users on here, I'm also not a fan of trauling through all the stupid farcebook replies :sleep:

Thanks, Steve T

Sounds a great idea, Steve. I'd like to see a compact one that can fit securely to the railings and can be removed easily (for charter boat fishing). A good solid bait board for cutting and storing a few essentials like scissors, knife, bait elastic etc. The ones out there are quite cumbersome imho!

Knowing your background, you'll make a quality product that is well thought out :)

Interesting to see what comes back with ideas on how something like this could be designed (y)

Rocking boat - Safe Knife holder - big enough to use for fish cleaning etc - needs to be adaptable to a variety of set ups / boats e.g to railings - just flat on fish cooler. Easy to take off & clean.
Still looking for one!

Good luck

I’d like to see one that slides back and forward, so you can push it out the way when not needed. Also along with the suggestions above, a dimple in the board would be good. This is for placing your lead on and stopping it from rolling around when anchored in a chop.

Thanks for your comments so far everyone (y) I am watching and noting the comments, keep them coming ;)

I have a railblaza fillet table, not cheap at £60 but it is quick to mount, has a drain all round, knife storage, 3 raised sides and is a reasonable size.
I can’t think of what else I would want from a bait board.

I have a railblaza fillet table, not cheap at £60 but it is quick to mount, has a drain all round, knife storage, 3 raised sides and is a reasonable size.
I can’t think of what else I would want from a bait board.
Like the look of those but can’t stomach the cost. The chopping board in the adapted cat litter is more my budget and I’m okay leaving it on boat in case it goes walk about.

I made one from an 18" Bamboo Chopping Board and built up the sides with hardwood, this clips to back railing and is supported by two of those plastic adjustable legs

@Steveh24 good idea, btw nice looking boat in the avatar.

Hi all,

IMHO there is not a decent bait board out there at a reasonable price that exists, so...

As a boat fisherman and engineer specifically in plastic, I'm considering making one or a few versions that fit everyone’s needs and producing them to sell small batch, initially handmade / machined as opposed to a simple moulded generic version.

So looking for suggestions of what you do & don't like and what you would like to see in terms of size and features also what it would be worth to you in terms of cost, which obviously could limit the features.

The idea is to incorporate all things to all men (or women) in an affordable price.

Seems the simplest way to get it right is to ask experienced users on here, I'm also not a fan of trauling through all the stupid farcebook replies :sleep:

Thanks, Steve T
bit of marine ply and when its worn out chuck it and get another bit simples

Hi all,

Thanks, Steve T
E6C261BA-4939-4225-93EB-C94266287242.jpeg

This is the best picture I have of my one. An aluminium tray with a nylon board secured inside. It’s been there for about 6 or 7 years. Tray holds bait and stops it sliding off and there is a slot at the side to put your knife safely. Being made purely of plastic would be better though.

View attachment 3774

This is the best picture I have of my one. An aluminium tray with a nylon board secured inside. It’s been there for about 6 or 7 years. Tray holds bait and stops it sliding off and there is a slot at the side to put your knife safely. Being made purely of plastic would be better though.
Looks like a harbour on the Moray coast. Nice idea for the board. Good to make or repurpose stuff.

Hi all,

Thanks, Steve T
I agree the bait boards that are out there are expensive and don’t all ways meet to one’s specifications if we could order a board that would be compatible to our spec ie width and depth etc at a reasonable price that would be great

It’s Lossie, well spotted! ??
Looks like a good slipway at Lossie. Banff Marina and Rosehearty look okay. My boat lives at home so trail around a bit.

View attachment 3774

Thanks Bigads, greta photo and thanks for the description/feedback (y)

I agree the bait boards that are out there are expensive and don’t all ways meet to one’s specifications if we could order a board that would be compatible to our spec ie width and depth etc at a reasonable price that would be great
Cheers Don, thats the aim (y)

Looks like a good slipway at Lossie. Banff Marina and Rosehearty look okay. My boat lives at home so trail around a bit.
I have a berth in Banff but with all the harbour renovations we have moved it up to Rosehearty. There are a few spots I want to try up there

Back