• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Review Baiting tool.

Me too, never used a needle or any sort of baiting tool.
Not knocking them, they seem to produce neat baits but I always figured the fish don’t really care how neat it is and I manage well enough with my fingers.

One thing I do these days is thoroughly cut off old bait with scissors and ensure the elastic is in tiny pieces so if anything were to swallow it, hopefully it would pass through without causing any problems.

Perhaps one for another thread but I’ve often wondered whether we should be leaving that much elastic out there and whether there was a biodegradable alternative?
I think it is biodegradable. Old rolls just fall to pieces in my experience

Me too, never used a needle or any sort of baiting tool.
Not knocking them, they seem to produce neat baits but I always figured the fish don’t really care how neat it is and I manage well enough with my fingers.

One thing I do these days is thoroughly cut off old bait with scissors and ensure the elastic is in tiny pieces so if anything were to swallow it, hopefully it would pass through without causing any problems.

Perhaps one for another thread but I’ve often wondered whether we should be leaving that much elastic out there and whether there was a biodegradable alternative?
Late to the party I know I did think the same as you f when it comes to baiting up ie don’t matter to the fish but arfter fishing with a very good match angler who spends time getting his bait looking like they were crafted by god then seeing the amount of fish he catches id say there’s something in bait presentation

Late to the party I know I did think the same as you f when it comes to baiting up ie don’t matter to the fish but arfter fishing with a very good match angler who spends time getting his bait looking like they were crafted by god then seeing the amount of fish he catches id say there’s something in bait presentation
Yes and no, it depends where u fish I think, our coast line is very murky stick your hand just under the water and u can't see it at all, so presentation in that situation nah, nice clear water then definitely

Something like pva string that resolve after 30 mins that would work
Also wouldnt a neat streamline bait cast a bit further, and once the rig has settled, it would stop any spinning bait in the tide, coz my understanding is that fish are put off from a spinning bait

Also wouldnt a neat streamline bait cast a bit further, and once the rig has settled, it would stop any spinning bait in the tide, coz my understanding is that fish are put off from a spinning bait
That's the point of it. How well it casts and how well it remains intact with hook points showing when it settles

Mind you, he probably does a lot of things well, that’s why he’s a good angler.
Certainly can’t hurt to have neat baits but whether it catches more, I really don’t know.
I’d argue that as long as it’s good bait, right hook size and plenty of point showing, the fish won’t be too fussed either way.
Having said that, it needs to be the right size easy for them to swallow, no good creating a messy blob.

But neater baits certainly aren’t going to hurt your chances, I just can’t be bothered with loaders and needles lol.

I asked him wot he recons the most import part to fishing is once he said he had the same discussion with some of the guys he fishes and no 1 is the best bait you can get he travels miles to get worm and crab from certain locations he puts a lot of effort in and catches a lot of fish

I asked him wot he recons the most import part to fishing is once he said he had the same discussion with some of the guys he fishes and no 1 is the best bait you can get he travels miles to get worm and crab from certain locations he puts a lot of effort in and catches a lot of fish
Can't argue with that. Got to have the right bait on the day

Oh yep I agree, you need the right/best bait. I don’t think ultra neat presentation is crucial but if it gives a bit of an edge, why not.

But as Valley said, it’s got to be streamlined enough to cast and so the hooks are clear, so still gotta put something into presentation however it’s done.

As I say, not knocking needles etc, I can see they get good neat results, it’s just not something I’ve ever felt the need for.
Don’t think I was even really aware there were such things for about the first 10 years that I fished!

Btw, I also think location and timing are the other top two ingredients for fishing, as important as bait imo.
They go hand in hand really, you can be in the right spot with the wrong bait and not catch, or the wrong spot with top bait and still not catch!

Oh yep I agree, you need the right/best bait. I don’t think ultra neat presentation is crucial but if it gives a bit of an edge, why not.

But as Valley said, it’s got to be streamlined enough to cast and so the hooks are clear, so still gotta put something into presentation however it’s done.

As I say, not knocking needles etc, I can see they get good neat results, it’s just not something I’ve ever felt the need for.
Don’t think I was even really aware there were such things for about the first 10 years that I fished!

Btw, I also think location and timing are the other top two ingredients for fishing, as important as bait imo.
They go hand in hand really, you can be in the right spot with the wrong bait and not catch, or the wrong spot with top bait and still not catch!
Great answer mate

If u fish in clear ish water then yes presentation must be the key, murky water then nah it doesn't matter to jots as fish only go on sent ,obviously when casting the bait has to be nicely packed so u get far out as u can but where I fish soon as the bait hits the water its lost in the murky water, so sent is the key

True that F but in match’s sometimes you fish bad tides are club is renowned for it as they pick the best tides for boat comps sometimes we might be fishing 4 hrs of the ebb that’s when little details like bait Presentation play a big factor and orso I’ll never go plaice fishing without a baiting needle plaice like the worm to be spot on rather than just threaded up the line ma Bute

True that F but in match’s sometimes you fish bad tides are club is renowned for it as they pick the best tides for boat comps sometimes we might be fishing 4 hrs of the ebb that’s when little details like bait Presentation play a big factor and orso I’ll never go plaice fishing without a baiting needle plaice like the worm to be spot on rather than just threaded up the line ma Bute
All down to personal experience I guess mate. A lot of what you do on the ‘south coast’ is quite different to the north coast fishing I grew up with - cleaner beaches, clearer water, different match formats etc.
Bit like beach shelters, they’re a totally alien thing to me!

If I’d grown up fishing Chesil etc I’m sure I’d have a different approach to a lot of it

All down to personal experience I guess mate. A lot of what you do on the ‘south coast’ is quite different to the north coast fishing I grew up with - cleaner beaches, clearer water, different match formats etc.
Bit like beach shelters, they’re a totally alien thing to me!

If I’d grown up fishing Chesil etc I’m sure I’d have a different approach to a lot of it
Yep. Not much call for beach shelters with a 14 m tide that goes out 1/2 a mile

Or tries to pull their trolley from boulder to boulder
They’ve fished your local marks too then? ???

Tbh the amount of kit people talk about carrying amazes me. If I can’t get it in rucksack or box and walk a couple of miles, it’s not going with me.
Then again, like you, none of my local marks are places where you can stay for 48 hours, or even eight, usually.

Back