• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Bass on fly, off the top

Andy135

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Boat
Took the fly rod out for a mullet session, using a hand-tied bread flake pattern with a mud shrimp pattern suspended underneath. However, it turns out bass like bread flake flies too. He hammered the fly and put up a decent scrap on the 5 weight river rod. Sadly no mullet on the day, but there's always next time!

hsy2b98.jpg

Andy135

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Boat
Thanks all. Bit strange thinking of bass as bycatch, but now I know they'll take the same fly as mullet I'll start targeting them both in the same session.

Warby72

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
Nice Bass mate. That 5 weight is going to feel seriously "under gunned" if you connect with a big mullet. I usually use an 8 weight and at times that feels a bit light.

Andy135

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Boat
Nice Bass mate. That 5 weight is going to feel seriously "under gunned" if you connect with a big mullet. I usually use an 8 weight and at times that feels a bit light.
I can believe that - the little schoolie put a good bend in the rod, so I can only imagine what a decent mullet would do. Thanks - you've just given me all the excuse I need to go rod shopping again...! 😁

Thrasher

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
I can believe that - the little schoolie put a good bend in the rod, so I can only imagine what a decent mullet would do. Thanks - you've just given me all the excuse I need to go rod shopping again...! 😁
Don't be too hasty with that, I am sure I read that Colin McLeod (timmy mullett) on the fly fishing forum uses a #5.

Andy135

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Boat
Don't be too hasty with that, I am sure I read that Colin McLeod (timmy mullett) on the fly fishing forum uses a #5.
Yes, he uses a 5 or 6 weight depending on conditions IIRC. But I've been thinking of investing in a higher weight rod for a little while anyway as I find it hard to punch a line into a head wind with the 5 weight, so something like a 7 weight would help with that.

Thrasher

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Yes, he uses a 5 or 6 weight depending on conditions IIRC. But I've been thinking of investing in a higher weight rod for a little while anyway as I find it hard to punch a line into a head wind with the 5 weight, so something like a 7 weight would help with that.
Yes that is true and allow you to chuck bigger flies for bass too.

Andy135

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Boat
Nice fish 😀
Were you loose feeding bread?
Yes, casting into a trail of bread and letting the fly drift with the tide and the bread.