• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Brixham: lrf/hrf wrassing

fiveyardcast

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
I met up with Rich at Brixham yesterday (17/11) and he was keen to give a run out of his new MC Triple Cross hrf rod on the wrasse. Despite a very milky sea early on we had bites and fish from the off and this carried on throughout the session. We fished a couple of hours of the ebb and about 3 hours of flood before we lost the light. We used a variety of texas, flex-head, and jig rigs and a few chucks with metals.
We finished with over 20 ballans, 10 corkwing, a couple of scorpion fish between us, a few mackerel, a rock goby and a pout. Rich's best wrasse (below) was very conservatively estimated at 3lb but may well have been more. A busy and enjoyable session.

20201117_213425.jpg

20201117_212844.jpg

20201117_211755.jpg

20201117_211331.jpg

Last edited:
Great pics, well done on the fish, thats a nice haul for this time of year (y)
Thanks bananas. We were actually on the rocks just north of Battery and everything was on the feed from the off. Mackerel were swirling on the surface at low tide and it was virtually a bite a cast on the flood.
I love this time of year for lure fishing. When the conditions allow it can be very busy right into january, especially if the herring and sardines show up!

Nice!! Beautifull colours!
I honestly think some of the fish on the western curve of Lyme Bay are some of the prettiest in the UK. The wrasse seem to have different markings to Cornish wrasse (and definitely Yorkshire wrasse).
I may be imagining it though!

Missed out on the Herrings this year, hopefully will get a few next year, have been trying for a Baillions on the breakwater, have you ever had any on the battery side, dont fish it over there as much as I should.

Missed out on the Herrings this year, hopefully will get a few next year, have been trying for a Baillions on the breakwater, have you ever had any on the battery side, dont fish it over there as much as I should.
No, i havent had Baillons there.. A couple of Rockcook but no Baillons.
Im still after one myself..

Had them up near the boulders on the breakwater, about 30-40 yrds out where its a bit cleaner, had a couple there last year, struggling this one tho, oh on rag not lures im afraid

Had them up near the boulders on the breakwater, about 30-40 yrds out where its a bit cleaner, had a couple there last year, struggling this one tho, oh on rag not lures im afraid
Im still hoping to see a cuckoo from there. Ive only caught them in Scotland

The spot i just mentioned, I had a rockcook then next cast a cuckoo this year, had me jumping up and down with joy with them to added to my species hunt.

There is a funny story about John (and Herrings!) - long before I joined WSF I went and saw a guy locally to buy a 2nd hand Bass rod. It was only when John PM'd me his phone number & I put it in my phone as a new contact that all the old messages came up from buying the rod! Back then, I was occasionally fishing at Mount Wise, and I'm sure John said there were Herrings to be caught down there on Sabikis right up to Christmas. He'll probably chip in at some point to put me right!

Herrings are in the tamar and sound until January, you know when they are in as there is an industrial ring netting effort from the inter fish trawlers, even inside mountbatten?

Herrings are in the tamar and sound until January, you know when they are in as there is an industrial ring netting effort from the inter fish trawlers, even inside mountbatten?
Pilchards here and the ring netters are out along with gillnetters nearly up to the shore! I may try and get a trip out on a ring netter to see what goes on,I certainly don't believe they only catch there target species!!!

Back