• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Chum Or Not To Chum

Mukiwa

Reaction score
Good afternoon guys,

So we know that chum is alsorts of fish ect in a bucket, sack or a net bag, on the side of a boat to leave a sent trail in the water , for fish to follow and hopefully find your perfectly placed bait.

Fishing from the shore, do you still chum the water? I would say I do if I am targeting bass, at close range within the gutter, or find the places at low water that fish might feed over and put my chum there .

But if I am chasing something that needs a fair bit of effort to get the bait out as far as possible then no.

I was watching a very well known angler that made a video on chasing Ray's on Chezel beach, and one thing he advised to do was to cut up small pieces of bait to chum the water with , promptly went over to the water and chuck them in, but just cast his bait 100 plus meters away.

So do you chum or not, and what have you seen that has lifted your eyebrow.

Tight lines for the week ahead

Use chum on the boat alot in the summer when float or lure fishing and definitely works in my opinion , never tried it of the beach but would say it works under certain conditions , once fishing selsey and had some garlic chicken pieces in my lunch box which were way to garlicky so threw them in , couple of hours later I had a bass of 5lb ish which I kept and gutted on the beach and wondered why I could smell garlic untill I found the chicken pieces in its gut ! , Have found kfc pieces inside bass before as well and believe in certain areas these types of food items are regularly on the menu.

Chicken, yeah good bait , especially around harbours or where boats are moored.

I believe same that chum works on shore but under close or tight fishing.

But don't get it if you bait is 100m away from your chum, which the scent drifting on the tides goes to the angler's down tide of you and they land fish lol.

Summer time the match boys will chum like mad seen decent bags of gar but orso mackerel scad plus big mullet and bass we always chuck a few chunks of bait in when bass in the dogfish love it ?

Summer time the match boys will chum like mad seen decent bags of gar but orso mackerel scad plus big mullet and bass we always chuck a few chunks of bait in when bass in the dogfish love it ?
Dogfish, lol had enough of them lately. I didn't know the match boys chummed the water. But yeah can imagine they would have done well

Dogfish, lol had enough of them lately. I didn't know the match boys chummed the water. But yeah can imagine they would have done well
Guy who’s a member of our club but luckily doesn’t fish many of our matches will chum like mad in chisel match’s and catch gar 3 at a time

Guy who’s a member of our club but luckily doesn’t fish many of our matches will chum like mad in chisel match’s and catch gar 3 at a time
Wow that's it ban chumming lol.

But would you say that you chum if your casting at distance to get to Ray's ect

Depending on what rigs you are using you can always use a PVA bag full of goodies on the lead as long as you use PVA friendly feed and oils, you will be able to cast 100 yards no problem (y)

Depending on what rigs you are using you can always use a PVA bag full of goodies on the lead as long as you use PVA friendly feed and oils, you will be able to cast 100 yards no problem (y)
Now that's interesting, I wondered about PVC bags and keen To try it. But apperently they take longer to desolve in sea water. Is that true mate

Forgot to add that you need to pierce the PVA bag with a few holes to let the goodies scent ooze out cus they dont melt in seawater (y)

Ahhh got it, thank you for the tip mate.
I have found that the fast melt ones with plenty of pin pricks in have sometimes disappeared but it makes no difference, its a matter of having something out there that keeps oozing scent.

I do make up a bucket of stinky "ground bait" if I'm going after mullet. Any dry/stale bread I have banged through the food processor to make crumbs, little bits of chopped up Mackie, bashed up mussels and limpets and a glug of winterized sardine oil. Spoonful into the water while I'm setting up, then another spoonful every 5/10 mins.

Orso d vice casting leads like concrete uses fill them with small bits of bait and wack them out herd of people useing this technique before as well

I only did it once, when I could be bothered, at a local rock mark.
It worked, I think, in the sense that doggies were pretty much crawling up the rocks towards us.
Must have had 30-40 each, I dunno, it was crazy.
In the end I was even picking them up on half mackerel baits dropped immediately over the side into the gully next to me.

We gave up in disgust in the end ???

That’s the problem with it I think on certain marks you will just get plagued by dogs better for gar mullet and alike on calm days
Yea I think you’re right. That particular mark threw up the odd ray and other stuff but is a dogfish mark at the best of times, so probably wasn’t the place to try it!

They’re very keen on ‘shirvy’ in the Channel Islands, for mullet but they also get the gars abd black bream feeding well too.
I’ve never tried it there except when fishing with locals as it’s not so much something you can whip up as a travelling angler

I do make up a bucket of stinky "ground bait" if I'm going after mullet. Any dry/stale bread I have banged through the food processor to make crumbs, little bits of chopped up Mackie, bashed up mussels and limpets and a glug of winterized sardine oil. Spoonful into the water while I'm setting up, then another spoonful every 5/10 mins.
Sound good for the mullet mate, do you use that recipe in the estuary or open ocean, reason I ask is I find the added scent of fish brings the crabs in from miles , plain bread they still take but not as bad

I only did it once, when I could be bothered, at a local rock mark.
It worked, I think, in the sense that doggies were pretty much crawling up the rocks towards us.
Must have had 30-40 each, I dunno, it was crazy.
In the end I was even picking them up on half mackerel baits dropped immediately over the side into the gully next to me.

We gave up in disgust in the end ???
Would have made for a new thriller movie, "Day of the Dogs"

Back