• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Chum

Tatunka joe

Reaction score
Really fancy trying chumming this year but not sure the best way of makeing it how much roughly I’d need how often I’d chuck it out so many questions ??any ideals will be greatly received ?

Watched a Smash Fishing video on You tube last night, he was chumming for garfish, white bread and fish oil made into a slop.

Depend a lot on species, time of year, tidal flow etc etc. Used to sort of do it Mull of Galloway many years back. Generally rocky shoreline and a good rise and fall of tide. Got there at low tide and rammed various bits of loaf, old hard rolls etc etc into crevices in the rocks. Incoming tide starting slopping them, was great for wrasse.

Really fancy trying chumming this year but not sure the best way of makeing it how much roughly I’d need how often I’d chuck it out so many questions ??any ideals will be greatly received ?
It’s easy enough mate, you can throw in what you like really.
The easiest way to deliver it is by making up coarse style groundbait - buy a bag of the cheaper fish based stuff and use it as your base, mix in breadcrumbs if you want, fish oil, mashed up old bait, add water to the consistency you want.
Then you can make it into balls and lob out every 20 minutes or so. At the start, lob in a few more to get a scent trail going.
When I’ve used it for mullet fishing, I prefer the fine groundbait that explodes in a cloud when it hits the water.

In the Channel Islands they go call it shirvy and it’s more of a fish oil slop. I don’t know an exact recipe but again it’s mashed up fish, oils etc and usually pretty rank (I think some are left to go a bit minging before they use it). I think they all have their own recipes!
In terms of actual delivery I’d think you’d just have a scoop or something and flick out a scoopful fairly regularly.

I guess you mean the shirvy style more than the coarse style but I like making it up from dry as obviously you can throw a ball further than you can flick a scoop of slop.

Maybe try both? As people have said, I think it depends a lot on where you’re fishing.
If the tide isn’t too bad and you can get a good slick going, I reckon it definitely works.

Aside from mullet fishing, I’ve only tried it once or twice just because it’s a lot of extra crap to carry, but there’s definitely a benefit to doing it.

I've seen it done on Youtube lots of times. Most guys seem to buy a cheap bag of Bran that they use to feed horses as a base, and then add oils, and chopped up fish guts & trimmings. I think Mark Williams did some on his channel, and John Locker did a good one on making Shark Chum which would do the job.

I keep the heads guts n bits from mackerel, any left over old rag n lug, freeze them , then defrost for a few days, blitz them and a loaf a bread in a blender, job done, if im a bit flush ill buy a bottle a fish oil and add that.
Little and often when flicking it out , brings the gobies on a treat??

I keep the heads guts n bits from mackerel, any left over old rag n lug, freeze them , then defrost for a few days, blitz them and a loaf a bread in a blender, job done, if im a bit flush ill buy a bottle a fish oil and add that.
Little and often when flicking it out , brings the gobies on a treat??
Fiddler! ???

I've mentioned a few times how I do it when I can be bothered...
Old bait, breadcrumbs etc... Anything you want really, moisten it, roll it into sausage shapes in cling film/paper/whatever then freeze.
On the beach, put your bait on then put a piece of still frozen sausage on, either hooked or elastic wrapped.
As it thaws it disintegrates and makes an oil slick and chum trail directly to your bait instead of just randomly washing about in the tide.
It's worked well for me for a few years.
Obviously you can't cast as far but for me that isn't an issue, I don't try to hit the horizon anyway.

T.a fishing got a big bottle of fish oil, pricked it and tied it down at low tide - he shew the oil slick from the cliff tops before he started fishing. Sounds expensive though

Not chum as such but I guess you could do similar with a mesh bag of fishy stuff if you'll have time to retrieve the rubbish at the next low

Couple of loafs of bread into the oven at its lowest setting till it drys out, any old breakfast cereal you have kicking around, put them through your blender to make fine crumbs, cup or two of portage oats, same of cooked rice then add a couple of cans of cheap sardines and mush it all together. Split into two batches, make one into balls, add water to the other to make a "soup". Start with a few balls, then add a cup of soup about every 10mins.

Back