• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Dropped a clanger...

bacon

Reaction score
So I decided to turn my fridge off 2 weeks ago as had left it on with nothing in it for a while, well the last few days there has been an odd fishy hum in the garage... Couldn't work it out.
Well today I plan to buy some worm for later and went to turn my fridge on, turns out I had turned off the switch at the wall which coonnects to an extension lead that is also powering my freezer.....

So, that's a fairly recent bulk squid and bluey order that has sat defrosting and festering, alongside 15+ wraps of blacks, pack of peeler, sandeels etc.....I am going to estimate around £110 minimum of bait...

I opened the freezer door, oh my......the smell.....

Is this bait going to be useable? I have taken the early decision so far to refreeze it all then take it to the tip tomorrow....

At least you were able to re- freeze it all prior to dumping it.
I feel your pain a few years ago my under counter freezer full of bait and a few eating mackys packed up completely,whilst I was away for a while,I will never forget that stench, absolutely vile..

Feel for you mate, I hate it when the other half doesn't close the freezer door and I get a bit a defrosting, but nowt on the scale you have, if it is total pants as usable bait, could try making it in to ground bait, may bring a few fish in, instead of going to the tip with it.

Just had a count, as I bagged it all I to convenient qtys.

34 bags of squid, 5 to a pack.
27 bags of bluey. 2 per pack.
Blacks weren't as bad as I thought. About 8 wraps.
Forgot about a pack of random fish I tried from the Chinese supermaket. The packet was open and they were bathing in a sort of lumpy broth....

Feel for you mate, I hate it when the other half doesn't close the freezer door and I get a bit a defrosting, but nowt on the scale you have, if it is total pants as usable bait, could try making it in to ground bait, may bring a few fish in, instead of going to the tip with it.
If I had a boat it would make excellent chum no doubt

Just had a count, as I bagged it all I to convenient qtys.

34 bags of squid, 5 to a pack.
27 bags of bluey. 2 per pack.
Blacks weren't as bad as I thought. About 8 wraps.
Forgot about a pack of random fish I tried from the Chinese supermaket. The packet was open and they were bathing in a sort of lumpy broth....

did the same as you the year before last
i lost 3 x 5lb boxes of squid and 160 wraps of blacks, and 70 frozen crab
expensive mistake

I thought mine was bad.... just did a more accurate tally of about £90.

it was a sickener
i noticed it after a week,
went in the garage and the defosted juices had leaked out the bottom of the doorseal and liberally coated the garage floor in the vicinity
it fkin hung, proper time, best thing to do was freeze it all back up again and take the freezer and its contents straight to the tip

now ive got 3 freezers on different sockets to prevent disasters such as this

Bin bin bin bin.
Quality bait is the single most important thing with angling.
No good having the Greatest knowledge of water craft, best gear, fishing the right tides and time if your bait is shot.

We all know of a bass caught on week old mackerel or the cod caught on a rotten peeler crab, but these are very rare exception's.

Bin bin bin bin.
No good having the Greatest knowledge of water craft, best gear, fishing the right tides and time if your bait is shot.

We all know of a bass caught on week old mackerel or the cod caught on a rotten peeler crab, but these are very rare exception's.

Yeah they were my thoughts as well.

As @Cfish points out, need a mate with a boat who would probably relish the thought of 10kg of manky fish/squid

As Jimmy says, make some chum with some Bran. If shore fishing, put it in a bag with a weight & a rope, at low tide where you intend to cast. Fish as the tide comes in, and haul the bag back out when you pack up. ?? Telecomms guys use that 5mm orange rope for hauling cables through underground ducts, and they are only allowed to use it once. I got a huge drum of it for nowt.

Bin bin bin bin.

Totally agree. It MIGHT be of use for chum but do you really want it hanging around for months?

Probably best just to consign it to the bin, write it up to experience, bleach the freezer and start again... ??‍♂️

Probably best just to consign it to the bin, write it up to experience, bleach the freezer and start again... ??‍♂️

Sez the local fkn freezer expert!! :unsure: ;):LOL:

42640AEF-851D-4E3A-8EEF-4C65141471A8.jpeg

Well first thing this morning, as soon as the tip opened, I triple bagged my 10kg of frozen stink meat and binned it.

I'd love to be able to make chum, but given the smell and the fact I'd likely be storing it for the next year I decided to get rid of it.

Bleached all of the trays, only job remaining is to scrub the freezer clean.....and check if I need to cut any of the old carpet away in the garage if any of it leaked.....

Back