• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West Evening wrasse

Mr Fish

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
How many more nice and relatively warm days are we going to get to allow me to indulge in local wrassing?
Probably not many so after I’d done what I wanted to do today, I figured I’d nip out for a short wrasse session at a remote rocky beach.
I was well aware it was quite a walk and climb (albeit not dangerous as long as you’re happy on rocks) and the session would only be about 2.5 hours.
Meh feck it, at least it’s exercise.

After the usual hike down and climb over a LOT of big boulders, I was up and fishing by 5.30. Low was at 6pm and I guessed I’d have to pack up at 7.30 because that was sunset and I needed to see what I was doing to get back!

D3E60E1C-E1D2-4004-81CB-68D3F73C2461.jpeg
First impression was yes the sea looked nice, but there was actually quite a swell.
You’ll note the end of the rock on the right by my gear is wet, that’s because a wave came over before low tide, and despite being 20 foot up.
I wouldn’t usually fish this mark in a swell, but this one developed quickly in a couple of days.

I was getting bites from the off but it was small pecks and rattles, most likely very small wrasse or indeed my old friend Mr Strap.
I carried on, keeping a wary eye on the swell and moving back whenever a bigger one came in. A few more came over, so that was wise!

As the flood started, I was casting out when the other rod screamed off.
Never good to let a wrasse go to ground so I grabbed it quickly with one hand and struck, before putting the other down and dealing with the fish.
Snagged at first, then moving, then snagged again but finally moving freely.
It wasn’t a monster but it was the target. I really should have weighed it but the scales were out of the way of the spray and recent wrasse have been a bit delicate.
Initial guess was maybe 2lb 8, but then on carrying it back it didn’t feel massively heavy.

Hard to tell, but definitely over 2lb and lovely colours.

BBE4A311-2983-434D-963D-120A53F5079A.jpeg
44A70847-FE1F-4E8F-B1FD-8D2140818CE8.jpeg

There wasn’t much time left and the sun was sinking…

AB812A74-C069-44DF-BBD4-EC8BC3157B76.jpeg

The swell had actually stopped coming over as the flood rose, but the enemy now was dwindling daylight.
I had a few more small bites and another that was a bit better but it stopped quickly, by then the sun was indeed low on the yard arm…

A78B7D52-E01D-4033-B3D2-DCC65FCDA610.jpeg
And gone… time to go!
29A4973E-F8D7-4A81-BED6-E1C6FC1CB445.jpeg

I hear a hasty retreat before the light died completely and made the gruelling hike back up the path to the car.
Target achieved, good exercise and I very much doubt there’ll be many more days like that this year.

Cheers chaps. It is a serious hike to that spot and I was probably crazy to go there just for two hours, but my local mark where I had the big one at the weekend isn’t accessible on smaller tides.
This is bloody remote but at least you don’t get bothered by anyone.

It was one of those trips where I questioned myself even while walking down, but sometimes it’s good to do a spur of the moment session.
If I’d stayed there after dark the huss might have come out to play but I didn’t have a light and in any case, I only would have got another hour or so before it was cut off.

How many more nice and relatively warm days are we going to get to allow me to indulge in local wrassing?
Probably not many so after I’d done what I wanted to do today, I figured I’d nip out for a short wrasse session at a remote rocky beach.
I was well aware it was quite a walk and climb (albeit not dangerous as long as you’re happy on rocks) and the session would only be about 2.5 hours.
Meh feck it, at least it’s exercise.

After the usual hike down and climb over a LOT of big boulders, I was up and fishing by 5.30. Low was at 6pm and I guessed I’d have to pack up at 7.30 because that was sunset and I needed to see what I was doing to get back!

View attachment 14435
First impression was yes the sea looked nice, but there was actually quite a swell.
You’ll note the end of the rock on the right by my gear is wet, that’s because a wave came over before low tide, and despite being 20 foot up.
I wouldn’t usually fish this mark in a swell, but this one developed quickly in a couple of days.

I was getting bites from the off but it was small pecks and rattles, most likely very small wrasse or indeed my old friend Mr Strap.
I carried on, keeping a wary eye on the swell and moving back whenever a bigger one came in. A few more came over, so that was wise!

As the flood started, I was casting out when the other rod screamed off.
Never good to let a wrasse go to ground so I grabbed it quickly with one hand and struck, before putting the other down and dealing with the fish.
Snagged at first, then moving, then snagged again but finally moving freely.
It wasn’t a monster but it was the target. I really should have weighed it but the scales were out of the way of the spray and recent wrasse have been a bit delicate.
Initial guess was maybe 2lb 8, but then on carrying it back it didn’t feel massively heavy.

Hard to tell, but definitely over 2lb and lovely colours.

View attachment 14437
View attachment 14438

There wasn’t much time left and the sun was sinking…

View attachment 14439

The swell had actually stopped coming over as the flood rose, but the enemy now was dwindling daylight.
I had a few more small bites and another that was a bit better but it stopped quickly, by then the sun was indeed low on the yard arm…

View attachment 14440
And gone… time to go!
View attachment 14441

I hear a hasty retreat before the light died completely and made the gruelling hike back up the path to the car.
Target achieved, good exercise and I very much doubt there’ll be many more days like that this year.
Great report and photos Tony! Sure looks like a nice mark even if difficult to access, but you had a stunning looking Wrasse for your efforts. ??

Great photos and a good looking wrasse well done , you love your wrasse fishing
Here’s John! Yes I do enjoy it but also it’s a convenient quick thing you can do for a few hours on a nice day, whereas most of my bassing etc happens after dark so has to be planned a bit more.

Great report and photos Tony! Sure looks like a nice mark even if difficult to access, but you had a stunning looking Wrasse for your efforts. ??
Thanks Dave, yes it’s a nice spot. I have more scenic pictures but it would give the mark away.
Not that it’s especially secret but very few bother with it at the moment and it would be nice to keep it that way!

You’re a lucky man mr fish, gorgeous marks! A lot of my fishing has to coincide with low water falling at the right time on a day off.

Thanks Dave, yes it’s a nice spot. I have more scenic pictures but it would give the mark away.
Not that it’s especially secret but very few bother with it at the moment and it would be nice to keep it that way!
Agree, and with your description of the access, you'd not see me down there anyway! ??

Back