• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

First lure session this year

John Mitchell

Reaction score
Well it did not go well I was meeting dirty squid at a local mark, he was already there when I arrived so I got my gear on and set off .
But as I walked the mile or so to meet him I had an accident I tripped over a tree root and went flying , when I picked myself up I knew something was wrong I had snapped my stradic C14 4000 reel at the base of the reel, it was hanging loose , oh dear was a comment I made to my self . But on a plus side the rod was ok and I was ok apart from trapped fingers when I fell . So I walked on down to Nick to tell him I would not be fishing .32875757-F587-4FE9-8F10-EFAB2CE7B345.jpeg

Well it did not go well I was meeting dirty squid at a local mark, he was already there when I arrived so I got my gear on and set off .
But as I walked the mile or so to meet him I had an accident I tripped over a tree root and went flying , when I picked myself up I knew something was wrong I had snapped my stradic C14 4000 reel at the base of the reel, it was hanging loose , oh dear was a comment I made to my self . But on a plus side the rod was ok and I was ok apart from trapped fingers when I fell . So I walked on down to Nick to tell him I would not be fishing .View attachment 8175
That’s not great by any means of the imagination, I feel your pain chap

Not the greatest start to this year's lure fishing for you, must have been a proper downer to get all that way then have that happen!
I've had a drag knob thread strip mid session (bait) around a half mile from my van and ended up walking back to get a spare reel to carry on with. Always handy to have a spare with you, even if it's left in the car.
On a slightly more positive note, maybe you can source a new reel body and rebuild the reel?

Not the greatest start to this year's lure fishing for you, must have been a proper downer to get all that way then have that happen!
I've had a drag knob thread strip mid session (bait) around a half mile from my van and ended up walking back to get a spare reel to carry on with. Always handy to have a spare with you, even if it's left in the car.
On a slightly more positive note, maybe you can source a new reel body and rebuild the reel?
Trampster is in the process of doing this for me from a french company, good old Dave

Nice to see some helpful people about and also someone trying to salvage something rather than throw it away and buy a new one. Good on you and trampster for trying to sort this out.

But as I walked the mile or so to meet him I had an accident I tripped over a tree root and went flying , when I picked myself up I knew something was wrong I had snapped my stradic C14 4000 reel at the base of the reel, it was hanging loose , oh dear was a comment I made to my self . But on a plus side the rod was ok and I was ok apart from trapped fingers when I fell . So I walked on down to Nick to tell him I would not be fishing .View attachment 8175
The only way is up now John, luckily I have gone arse over tit so often that I now instinctively raise my rod carrying hand above my head on the way down ?

I had a Daiwa reel break just there while using it after many years of use. Sent it back to Daiwa with a nice letter and they sent me a brand new top of the line reel. Many years ago and I doubt you would get such customer service now.
Should be a fixer if the frame hasn't warped too badly.

Unlucky there john . I done simular thing after walking 4 miles to a mark only to trip over a jagged piece of rock just as i got there and split the end eye on the rod lol.

I'm a friend of John's, I wasn't there to see exactly what happened and I feel very sorry for his accident.
I don't know how he was carrying the rod when he tripped and fell.
However, I'd like to suggest to you guys that when carrying a made-up rod you do it butt-first, tucked to your side under your arm or against your thigh (not like Henry Gilbey in a recent photo).
There are several reasons for this.
If you fall forwards, you are not going to stab your rod tip into the ground or land on the rod. If the butt hits the ground first, serious damage is less likely.
The line, lure or rod rings are much less inclined to catch in trees and bushes you are passing through.
If you do fall, it is easier to drop or even throw aside the rod, which being low down to start with may not suffer impact damage when it hits the ground. The aim is not to land on it or ram it tip-first into the ground.
I still see experienced anglers carrying rods tip-forwards while walking along and know it takes only one stumble for an expensive disaster.
I hope John can source an identical or compatible reel or have his repaired rather than scrap an otherwise perfectly good Stradic. PH

I'm a friend of John's, I wasn't there to see exactly what happened and I feel very sorry for his accident.
However, I'd like to suggest to you guys that when carrying a made-up rod you do it butt-first, tucked to your side under your arm or against your thigh (not like Henry Gilbey in a recent photo).
If you fall forwards, you are not going to stab your rod tip into the ground or land on the rod. If the butt hits the ground first, serious damage is less likely.
The line, lure or rod rings are much less inclined to catch in trees and bushes you are passing through.
If you do fall, it is easier to drop or even throw aside the rod, which being low down to start with may not suffer impact damage when it hits the ground. The aim is not to land on it or ram it tip-first into the ground.
I still see experienced anglers carrying rods tip-forwards while walking along and know it takes only one stumble for an expensive disaster.
I hope John can source an identical or compatible reel or have his repaired rather than scrap an otherwise perfectly good Stradic. PH
Trampster is in the process of speaking to a french company about parts for me , it’s all about postage and tax etc I think the parts are about £40 ish we will see , I have got a stradic 4000 which is a good reel , they are still making these although a better model I expect, for about £180 I think ?

Great tip PH (y) I will use that technique next time for sure .

This is the 4 mile trek i did to the mark i mentioned . It was in monsoon rain aswell . After the 4 mile slog . I had to walk down a steep grass hill the size of a large 2 tier football stadium before you get on to the mark . It was just as i got down the steep grassy hill i went splat lol .

553zb1.jpg

Great tip PH (y) I will use that technique next time for sure .

This is the 4 mile trek i did to the mark i mentioned . It was in monsoon rain aswell . After the 4 mile slog . I had to walk down a steep grass hill the size of a large 2 tier football stadium before you get on to the mark . It was just as i got down the steep grassy hill i went splat lol .

View attachment 8205
Is that when you bumped your head ...?

I done simular thing after walking 4 miles to a mark only to trip over a jagged piece of rock just as i got there and split the end eye on the rod lol.
No conspiracy theory to explain how that happened Joe. ? Or was it just one of those things.(y)Damn failed to see the reference to Monsoon Rain.?

Last edited:
Is that when you bumped your head ...?
Is that a joke or really flappy lol ? I cut my knee if i can remember . You want to try there flappy if your in for the treck . Good looking mark

Back