• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

First time out in 25+ years

RichfromLincs

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
To cut a long story short, I've been a coarse angler for around 30yrs but dabbled with shore fishing a handful of times around 25yrs ago (even then I didn't really know what I was doing)..

Just recently, I "inherited" some gear from someone who's given up. Nothing fancy but mostly near enough new shore fishing gear. So, it's time to try again.

The plan, at the moment, is to head to huttoft sometime next week if the weather improves. Aiming for the high tide in the evening, through to whenever I've had enough. Obviously, tell me if I'm going about that all wrong.

However, the way the weather's been is a bit of a concern - to my mind it's probably stirred up a lot of natural food so the fish probably won't be all that hungry?

Rigs-wise, I think I'll keep it simple with a single hook pulley with an imp clip to help to prevent tangles from casting. I do have a couple of grip leads but mostly just plain ones and not particularly heavy - I guess the grip leads are best suited to this, with it being quite a flat, Sandy beach

I have a pair of cheap 12ft beach rods and fixed spool reels with (I believe) 25lb mainline and a 50lb leader. I don't know whether it's normal to use a lighter hook length though? I don't have much choice; I have some 12, 15 and 16lb line to choose from if I remember right

Hooks, I don't think I've got many to choose from, 1/0 mostly and 4,6,8 I can scrounge from my carp gear - though I gather 1/0 Is about right for the area this time of year?

As for bait, though it's not ideal, I'll probably end up with mackerel and white bait from Morrison's as I'm gonna be a bit short on time and I'm trying not to make this a very expensive trip. If I get time, I'll also see what I can forage from the shore when I get there and possibly take some garden worms as I hear they work in a pinch

Any advice really would be appreciated, I can't spend anything much really though - having told my boss where to ram it.... so, more or less working with what I've got at the moment

don't know the area but 1/0s a good starting point ...be hard to present a decent bait on your carp hooks.

mackeral from supermarket works well for lots of species but could also draw a complete blank in some areas ..
if u don't wana spend on it like u say then take a fork down and get some worms before .

To cut a long story short, I've been a coarse angler for around 30yrs but dabbled with shore fishing a handful of times around 25yrs ago (even then I didn't really know what I was doing)..

Just recently, I "inherited" some gear from someone who's given up. Nothing fancy but mostly near enough new shore fishing gear. So, it's time to try again.

The plan, at the moment, is to head to huttoft sometime next week if the weather improves. Aiming for the high tide in the evening, through to whenever I've had enough. Obviously, tell me if I'm going about that all wrong.

However, the way the weather's been is a bit of a concern - to my mind it's probably stirred up a lot of natural food so the fish probably won't be all that hungry?

Rigs-wise, I think I'll keep it simple with a single hook pulley with an imp clip to help to prevent tangles from casting. I do have a couple of grip leads but mostly just plain ones and not particularly heavy - I guess the grip leads are best suited to this, with it being quite a flat, Sandy beach

I have a pair of cheap 12ft beach rods and fixed spool reels with (I believe) 25lb mainline and a 50lb leader. I don't know whether it's normal to use a lighter hook length though? I don't have much choice; I have some 12, 15 and 16lb line to choose from if I remember right

Hooks, I don't think I've got many to choose from, 1/0 mostly and 4,6,8 I can scrounge from my carp gear - though I gather 1/0 Is about right for the area this time of year?

As for bait, though it's not ideal, I'll probably end up with mackerel and white bait from Morrison's as I'm gonna be a bit short on time and I'm trying not to make this a very expensive trip. If I get time, I'll also see what I can forage from the shore when I get there and possibly take some garden worms as I hear they work in a pinch

Any advice really would be appreciated, I can't spend anything much really though - having told my boss where to ram it.... so, more or less working with what I've got at the moment
Morning Rich! Sounds like you are on the right track already. Re hook lengths, I tend to use 20Lb Flourocarbon, so something around that size for what you are planning should be fine! Best of luck - we'll look forward to the catch report! ??

Thankyou very much, just need the weather to settle down really and I will of course do a write up

I'll need to look but I'm pretty sure the heaviest line I have is 16lb and then the 25 and 50lb so looks like 16lb if I'm using hook lengths.

I also have an old multiplier, some 80lb braid and an "antique" beach caster that looks like it'd cast a housebrick across the channel but that's something to try another time I think.

Hi Rich,

A couple of bits of advice I would offer would be to throw the lob worms back in the garden as they would be the worst option out of all your suggestions. As Trampster said above, if you have time then take a garden fork with you and try and dig a bit of lugworm. If not, use small strips of mackerel on size 1/0 hooks. As for hook lengths, it’s slightly different to coarse fishing. If you try to go too light then the bait washing around will cause the hook length to twist badly around the rig. I normally use at least 30lb but occasionally 20lb for smaller fish.

If you only have 16lb for now, start with that but be prepared for a few twists.

Good luck. Let us know how you get on.

For pulley rigs, your hook length breaking strain should be heavier than you would normally use on a paternoster or running ledger rig.
Reason being is that the trace and hook length are "both" carrying the forces of the cast, with most rigs just the trace takes the load of the cast.

Also I'd start with a minimum of 20lb Amnesia for hook lengths. It's thick and doesn't tangle as easily as some monos. As above, your rig is going to be battered around by the tide.

I don't know your area but if you are going to be casting over 50 yards I'd want to be using 4 to 6oz of grip lead for a static bait, you can always try a 3 or 4oz weight, but the further out you go, the deeper and more effect the tide will have on your rig. Tide and weather dependent of course.
Close range a few ounces of plain lead should do you fine. Especially if you want a moving bait.

Do you have any 20lb Korda IQ or ESP Ghost fluro in your carp gear mate? For hooklengths, I tend to use 30lb amnesia, especially on the open beach, I’ve used 15lb on clipped down flapper rigs, but usually on sheltered marks with little undertow. I tend to have lots of rigs pre-tied so I can swap over quickly instead of trying to untangle things. Then I can recast and sort the tangles out at my leisure.

For my pulley rigs I will usually use 50lb trace and hook length over clean ISH ground marks in the Bristol channel. For mixed and rougher marks I use 80lbfor both.

Fyi most sea species are not line shy!

Hi Rich,

A couple of bits of advice I would offer would be to throw the lob worms back in the garden as they would be the worst option out of all your suggestions. As Trampster said above, if you have time then take a garden fork with you and try and dig a bit of lugworm. If not, use small strips of mackerel on size 1/0 hooks. As for hook lengths, it’s slightly different to coarse fishing. If you try to go too light then the bait washing around will cause the hook length to twist badly around the rig. I normally use at least 30lb but occasionally 20lb for smaller fish.

If you only have 16lb for now, start with that but be prepared for a few twists.

Wasn't me Forking Guvnor - I think it was @had1lost2 !! ??

Sounds to me like the 50lb I have is probably the best option (Out of what I've got at present), thanks for pointing that out, about the hook moving around and tangling everything up and the force of the cast.

I've had a bit of a sort through my gear and I think I'm about set. I even found my old stuff from years ago and found a few useful bits and pieces, including some slightly smaller hooks (#2 iirc). I have a total of three grip leads, all 5oz and I don't think it's very snaggy ground so I should be okay, famous last words...

A blast from the past....

20210522_124957.jpg

20210522_125003.jpg

Hi Rich,

Sorry I didn’t post earlier but I was busy being in hospital ?

As Will says, at least 30lb is a good starting point for a lot of shore rigs, but if you’re after flatties or just scratching around, 20 is a good choice too.

Another thing to consider aside from potential tangles is the sea bed is pretty hard on line. Even a sandy bottom will abrade lighter line pretty quickly, and most sea fish have teeth in one form or another.
I’d say 50lb is a bit heavy for a 1/0 set up but it’s still a better choice than 16, which really is pretty light - and mostly the fish won’t care.

It does depend where you’re fishing and what you’re likely to catch. You could try both? I use 15 sometimes for sole or light flattie fishing, over clean ground and a modest tide run.
Make up a couple of rigs with each and/or swap the snood over and see how it goes. You might well get away with the 16 if conditions are relatively benign.

Thankyou Mr fish, hopefully nothing serious & a speedy recovery.

For this trip at least, it'll be the Lincolnshire coast - huttoft is looking most likely at the moment. From the little I've read and seen, it's sandy and more or less featureless.

That probably makes catches all the harder to come by but I decided it'd be better than an evening fighting tangles and lost gear.

Well, I believe my main reel lines are both 25lb. I guess pinching some of that's maybe the best option for now? Doesn't matter too much about having to replace it sooner - they're of the £12 apiece kind anyway so will be getting upgraded as soon as possible.

When do you use sequins near the bait? I have some of those and some larger egg-shaped ones. I get what they do (i think) but I don't know when you'd usually try them

Bling and sequins are for flatties..I tried it last trip out..one with..one without..the fish was caught on the rig without any.

I tend to take one or two sequins and have them on the trace with a float stop above to act as a bait stop when clipping up and going for a big chuck to stop the worm baits from sliding up the hook length during the cast, slide a float stop on, one or two sequins, then the hook. Thread a worm on, slide the sequin and float stop down so it’s resting against the top of the bait, clip up, cast out etc. I may use a combination of sequins and beads as an attractor when flat fishing, but I tend not to that much nowadays. I’m not sure they make much difference, but I’m sure the jury’s still out on that one! As with everything, confidence is key! If adding bling makes you feel more confident, you fish better and may catch more, a self fulfilling prophecy if you will...

Look up Vern's sea fishjng on you tube, I am sure he has at least one video of himself out at Huttoft.
I've seen it thrasher, he's not a particularly cheerful chap ?

I doubt I'll bother with the bling, though a bait stop of some sort makes a lot of sense. It seems flatties are quite likely in the area too so, if it's not looking very hopeful, I may still give it a go

I'll be more than happy not to blank as I only ever caught one fish many moons ago from folkstone pier.... and it fell off as I tried to lift it from water to pier!

went back and re-watched some of vern's video - I have a slight concern with the tides and how shallow it looks; would I find it easier looking for somewhere steeper? Would that save me chasing the tide up and down the beach quite so far?

I guess that may well be normal on the lincs coast though, with it being so flat around here? I'm around 30miles inland I think and were only 8 meters above sea level

I've seen it thrasher, he's not a particularly cheerful chap ?

I doubt I'll bother with the bling, though a bait stop of some sort makes a lot of sense. It seems flatties are quite likely in the area too so, if it's not looking very hopeful, I may still give it a go

I'll be more than happy not to blank as I only ever caught one fish many moons ago from folkstone pier.... and it fell off as I tried to lift it from water to pier!
He is quite droll but I must admit i do like watching his videos.

Keep it all simple for your first few outings and build from there.

went back and re-watched some of vern's video - I have a slight concern with the tides and how shallow it looks; would I find it easier looking for somewhere steeper? Would that save me chasing the tide up and down the beach quite so far?

I guess that may well be normal on the lincs coast though, with it being so flat around here? I'm around 30miles inland I think and were only 8 meters above sea level
Vern fishes from a car park near the humber bridge what about there? Muddy so you won't be able to dig worm but looks to be less of a chase up and down.

Back