• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Fixed Spool For Common Skate (Shore)

sampeg

Reaction score
Hey gang,

I'm looking for any recommendations for a fixed spool reel with suitable guts and line capacity (braid probably) for Common skate from the shore.

Significant birthday (60) :oops: next year, and a trip to attempt to catch a shore caught common skate is definitely on the list.

After some brief internet research, my shortlist consists of the Daiwa BG8000, maybe the Fin-Nor Megalite 1000 ??? and that's it.

Not looking to spend mega bucks as this will be a one off purchase (Then it's back to Chesil etc...). Budget probably about £150.

You could try the quantum cabo or the fin nor offshore, both got full metal body, big drag, masssive line capacity and probably within budget if you shop around....
The offshorr is a massive reel and my 6500 is bigger than the cabo 80 I have. They're both quite heavy but that's never bothered me with them, I think the cabo is about 700g with braid and the offshore about 900-1000g.

I`ve got 3 x Fin nor in three different sizes. used them on White marlin, amberjack and small to medium tuna. Simply cannot break them. They are the older versions 6500 5000 4500

Last edited:
Many thanks for the reply.
I'll research the Fin-Nor reels some more.

Might add the 4500 is over 7 years old and up until the pandemic was used a good few times a year on smaller tuna, bullet, bonito, albacore etc.

Had to edit my first post, I put 2500 meant 4500 megalight

Hi Graham. Daiwa BGs are great reels, not got as big as the 8000 myself but have the 5000 + 4000 and the BG gears are massive. Have a look at Alan Hawks review of the BG. Try and get a standard BG rather than a Mag-sealed one.

Hi Graham. Daiwa BGs are great reels, not got as big as the 8000 myself but have the 5000 + 4000 and the BG gears are massive. Have a look at Alan Hawks review of the BG. Try and get a standard BG rather than a Mag-sealed one.

Hi Colin, many thanks and yep I've decided to get the standard BG8000.
(Fished our old mark up on the Lleyn this last Friday & Saturday. First time for 2 years.)

How did you get on on the Lleyn?
We were due to be wrecking out of Holyhead yesterday, but the fcast put paid to that, so went species hunting on Angelsey instead. Had loads of species but nothing of any size. Ballans, corkys, goldsinney, rock cook, rock & leopard spotted gobies, pout, poor cod, whiting, mackerel, pollack, dragonets, shanny, tompot, LS sea scorpion.

How did you get on on the Lleyn?
We were due to be wrecking out of Holyhead yesterday, but the fcast put paid to that, so went species hunting on Angelsey instead. Had loads of species but nothing of any size. Ballans, corkys, goldsinney, rock cook, rock & leopard spotted gobies, pout, poor cod, whiting, mackerel, pollack, dragonets, shanny, tompot, LS sea scorpion.
It was pretty poor to be honest. No mackerel on either day, though we didn't try that hard for them. Just wrasse up to 2lb and a few straps during daylight, and the same into darkness. I did have something on briefly that bit clean through my 100lb pulley rig trace line. My mate had the smallest strap I have ever seen in my life. He refused a photograph. It was nice to be there though after a 2 year break and we enjoyed an agreeable evening in the Ship on the Thursday. The loo block at the campsite has undergone a complete refurb and is now bordering on palatial. (Camping charges have gone up to suit).

Back