• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Lure fishing / spinning what is the difference?

jambop

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
Just a mind quiz. I have always regarded fishing with lures as spinning ... but then we get dedicated rod types. In reality is there any difference between spinning and lure fishing?

Yes there is
Great explain it ! What is the difference between casting a lure with a spinning rod and a lure rod then retrieving it in what ever fashion you like. I have great reservations that a lot of it come down to nomenclature . I watch endless numbers of youtube vids of anglers supposedly lure fishing for sea bass when they are using a spinning rod and a spinning reel ... some of these people are actually trying to sell you their lures to boot ??
edit
I do have genuine reasons for asking in as much as ,being old school, I bought a spinning rod and spinning reel to use to fish my sea bass lures. I now find myself thinking hey have I done the right thing should I have bought a lure rod and lure reel instead ?

Yes there is
OK would you care to expand on that a little please. My spinning rods have nice comfy cork handles of a suitable length easy to cast double handed. My lure rods have dinky short handles which require a degree of practice to cast well double handed. Spinning rods make holding the rod anything much above the horizontal when retrieving a little messy and uncomfortable but are preferable to me when held with the tip lower down. Lure reels and spinning reels are not different in the slightest.

I think the best way of looking at this issue is; you really have to work lures, be they HPs’ or SPs’, whereas with spinning in the older fashioned way you were more limited to sink and draw or straight retrieve.
A bit of snobbery, but I consider myself a lure angler now and not someone who spins.

In my experience there's certainly a nomenclature around 'lure gear'. For example, most renowned sellers of bass fishing tackle in the UK will have a section of their website dedicated to 'lure rods' however if you went and found the same rod on say the Shimano Europe site, it would be found under the 'spinning' section. That's not to say this is the same for other companies like HTO or Tailwalk who describe their rods as lure rods. Basically it's a bit of mixed bag. To add to the confusion as far as memory serves I've never seen a lure rod section for pike fishing but it probably exists.

Regardless of who calls this that, what rod and lures have you bought? If you're just starting out lure fishing for bass (you mentioned bass lures) then your first problem is - as always - finding the fish. If you've done that bit then matching the casting weight and action of your rod to your lures comes next. I once had to stand their embarrassingly watching as my brother in law overhead thumped his old course match rod with a half snapped tip section and a 3 quid Toby out-fish me and my lure gear only 50 yards away (at least to start with anyway).

I'd hazard a guess that what you've bought is probably fine.

As for reels, again, probably fine.

In my experience there's certainly a nomenclature around 'lure gear'. For example, most renowned sellers of bass fishing tackle in the UK will have a section of their website dedicated to 'lure rods' however if you went and found the same rod on say the Shimano Europe site, it would be found under the 'spinning' section. That's not to say this is the same for other companies like HTO or Tailwalk who describe their rods as lure rods. Basically it's a bit of mixed bag. To add to the confusion as far as memory serves I've never seen a lure rod section for pike fishing but it probably exists.

Regardless of who calls this that, what rod and lures have you bought? If you're just starting out lure fishing for bass (you mentioned bass lures) then your first problem is - as always - finding the fish. If you've done that bit then matching the casting weight and action of your rod to your lures comes next. I once had to stand their embarrassingly watching as my brother in law overhead thumped his old course match rod with a half snapped tip section and a 3 quid Toby out-fish me and my lure gear only 50 yards away (at least to start with anyway).

I'd hazard a guess that what you've bought is probably fine.

As for reels, again, probably fine.
The rod I bought is described as a predator rod here in France... it is in fact a Diawa exceler 2.43m 12 - 42g 4 section travel rod. I matched it up with a Diawa Legalis LT 4000 reel of the new smaller design . My thought being I am going to be casting fairly heavy floating and sinking bass lures. I want to be able to cast a reasonable distance but want light gear so I can work the lures. However I watched a vid where the guy "lure fishing" said he used either a 10ft or 12ft rod depending on the conditions he sells the Sampson lures... seems to do alright with them too!

Right where do I start a lure rod is a light weight carbon rod designed to cast light lures a fair distance, ie lures up to 30 gms , they can be anything up to 10ft , the reels can be the same as spinning reels , with the size to match the rod for balance most lure guys use braid as a main line , you need a light set up as you can cast hundreds of times in a session and move a lot , where as when you are spinning it would normally be in deep water using a Toby type lure of probably 40gms or more as you want distance to catch a mackerel etc, the guy using the Samson lures fishes mainly in Portugal in rough seas casting big lures hence the longer rods

Right where do I start a lure rod is a light weight carbon rod designed to cast light lures a fair distance, ie lures up to 30 gms , they can be anything up to 10ft , the reels can be the same as spinning reels , with the size to match the rod for balance most lure guys use braid as a main line , you need a light set up as you can cast hundreds of times in a session and move a lot , where as when you are spinning it would normally be in deep water using a Toby type lure of probably 40gms or more as you want distance to catch a mackerel etc, the guy using the Samson lures fishes mainly in Portugal in rough seas casting big lures hence the longer rods
Interesting my set up ticks all those boxes BUT the rod is actually described as a spinning rod and the reel is described as a spinning reel . Just my opinion but "lure rod" is the new name for a spinning rod. To exemplify this point savage gear make "lure rods" casting weights of 40 to 120g which does not fit the description so are we saying in fact you can call a rod a lure rod if you want but it is broadly speaking a spinning rod with minor changes eg rod rings and possible reel seat hand/ grip ? I would say that the article "lure" is old school and describes a artificial bait designed to catch a fish and "lure rod" is an modern Americanism to describe a rod designed to cast a lure, it sounds hip and hey we could just get anglers to dedicate a portion of their hard earned to having both a "lure rod and a spinning rod in their armoury when in fact on rod would do :ROFLMAO:

edit
The French Atlantic coast is quite similar in places and here's me using a soppy 8ft light weight rod/ reel setup ... time to spend more dosh methinks ? :ROFLMAO: 10 footer here we come!o_O

IMO lure fishing & spinning are the same.

The market and certain anglers have separated both to suit themselves.

If you are spinning you have a lure (of various types) on the end of your line, so you are spinning with a lure.

Does no one use carp rods these days????
No mate , we buy expensive lure rods designed to twitch a lure , then we buy expensive reels and line , and then we buy expensive lures to catch mr bass , oh I forgot mr sea bass the modern name for the bass

Does no one use carp rods these days????
Nothing wrong with using a decent carp rod, that’s where a lot of started and may I add the halcyon times are amongst the best. Would I purchase a new carp rod? No, but I’d use one of my older ones as a backup and still use a 12ft for pollock fishing from time to time, especially if I need to cast 80-120 gram lures.
But there’s no chance of working a lure to enact any action, that’s where modern lure rods come into their own.
You cannot as John has tried to do, limit to length and weight as a definition, that’s a WSF groupie talking drivel.
But I guess there in lies the inherent issue, which gets back to spinning vs lure, I believe it came from the salmon fraternity as the earlier rods were made by the traditional salmon fly rod makers for the salmon fly fishers. And, by that involvement you’re bound to end up with traditional vs modern.
Anyway you go and have fun and see what works for you and don’t get too hung up on what everyone else has or says and if you’re in the market for a change later in the year, then ask then.

Nothing wrong with using a decent carp rod, that’s where a lot of started and may I add the halcyon times are amongst the best. Would I purchase a new carp rod? No, but I’d use one of my older ones as a backup and still use a 12ft for pollock fishing from time to time, especially if I need to cast 80-120 gram lures.
But there’s no chance of working a lure to enact any action, that’s where modern lure rods come into their own.
You cannot as John has tried to do, limit to length and weight as a definition, that’s a WSF groupie talking drivel.
But I guess there in lies the inherent issue, which gets back to spinning vs lure, I believe it came from the salmon fraternity as the earlier rods were made by the traditional salmon fly rod makers for the salmon fly fishers. And, by that involvement you’re bound to end up with traditional vs modern.
Anyway you go and have fun and see what works for you and don’t get too hung up on what everyone else has or says and if you’re in the market for a change later in the year, then ask then.
Most of the lures UK bass anglers cast weigh less than 30g, and we may make hundreds of casts in a session and work the lures in various ways. You could use any rod capable of casting 30g, but most would feel tiring and unpleasant.
Recently, after fishing with modern bass lure rods, I had a session with two 12ft carp rods casting 3oz weights plus bait for whiting. The rods felt crude, heavy and floppy, and I would have hated using them for bass luring. Call it spinning, call it lure fishing - just use the right type of rod for the job. Perfectly decent spinning rods need not be expensive at all, unless you want to go for an import with a ridiculous name. PH

I got a carp rod and never been carp fishing.

I use it for light short distance casting off the shore. (as it was bought to fit across parcel shelf in car)

I would never use it for spinning, the same as i would never use a fly rod or beachcaster for it.

But i will use a lure or spinning rod (if you must call them that) for lure or spinning!

I love my modern lure rod it is perfect for the rocky rugged coast we have here in devon , and then it is also ideal when you are up to your waist on a surf beach , punching a savage gear seaker out in the surf , or a soft jelly in the smashing waves

The rod I bought is described as a predator rod here in France... it is in fact a Diawa exceler 2.43m 12 - 42g 4 section travel rod. I matched it up with a Diawa Legalis LT 4000 reel of the new smaller design . My thought being I am going to be casting fairly heavy floating and sinking bass lures. I want to be able to cast a reasonable distance but want light gear so I can work the lures. However I watched a vid where the guy "lure fishing" said he used either a 10ft or 12ft rod depending on the conditions he sells the Sampson lures... seems to do alright with them too!

For a lot of situations this setup is going to be fine, look forward to hearing about your trips.

The guy from Samson lures fishes some pretty hectic conditions out in Portugal.

Most of the lures UK bass anglers cast weigh less than 30g, and we may make hundreds of casts in a session and work the lures in various ways. You could use any rod capable of casting 30g, but most would feel tiring and unpleasant.
Recently, after fishing with modern bass lure rods, I had a session with two 12ft carp rods casting 3oz weights plus bait for whiting. The rods felt crude, heavy and floppy, and I would have hated using them for bass luring. Call it spinning, call it lure fishing - just use the right type of rod for the job. Perfectly decent spinning rods need not be expensive at all, unless you want to go for an import with a ridiculous name. PH
Whilst I do agree most lures in the U.K. are less than an oz(28grm), plenty of mine go beyond that and my MC X-Ride up to 42grm is still crisp, light and a lure rod, but my MC lure rod rated to 100grm isn’t crisp and as pleasant to use, but it’s still a lure rod that occasionally gets use for my big bass lures, but mainly as a pollock rod. Spinning rods tend to be too floppy, but can’t say the same for my carp rods, they’re just as steely as any lure rod and far cheaper.
That said I’m happier using a custom rod to 21grm all day myself, but if the conditions don’t allow, then it’s great to have the choice of a heavier rated rod.
Jambob May end up owning an obscene amount of equipment, or may just stick with his current setup, either way, if you’re facing conditions similar to Portugal’s coast which he reckons he will, I’d see him ending up with at least an 11ft rated to 70grm or so, but that’s the journey he’ll have to make.
After all the south coast of England is somewhat benign in comparison.

I bought a new spin/lure, call it what you will, rod because the old spinning rod I had been using was seriously outdated. It is heavy, as is the reel so naturally a day out casting with it is tiring. However the new tackle while very much lighter is still spinning gear. I think all anglers will when buying a rod and reel comb have to take into account the size and power of the fish they may catch so for me the idea that lure rods are a type of rod which is ultra light for flicking light lures does not work for me. I may be going against the trend but having an ultra light rod that is struggling to subdue the fish that has been hooked seems not quite right to me.

Back