• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

West Wales Mixed day

glandyman

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Boat
On the one hand I caught my PB bass at 7lb 12oz on the other hand I fried my brains out.
On the boat at 6.45am stinking hot already , nice breeze whilst travelling , and we managed a few mackerel and some basslings pretty quickly. Parked up about 5 miles off Pendine and by 10 am the sun was brutal with no wind. Loads of small tope to about 7/8 lb came aboard and quite a few bite offs as well. I avoided the tope despite using mackerel fillets but I managed to catch 2 thornies , the first one was well into double figures and with the tide it took some pulling in. Belated cup large mug of tea which I consumed against my better judgement and I'm sure I lost more sweat that the amount of tea drunk which dripped suntan lotion into my eyes. . I swapped places with a mate for a bit of shade and drank my second litre of water and made a makeshift "scarf" out of my canvas coin bag which I kept wetting all day and wore it round the back of my neck and kept filling my cap up with sea water and putting it on my swede. I really didn't think I could last another 8 hours but we went offshore a bit and obviously we had a bit of "breeze" from the boat travel and I recovered. We tried drifting with lures for bass , no joy but we had some nice scad and nice mackerel.

Finally back to our hotspot where we had some nice bass including 5lb , 6lb and mine. Survived the day but I had a thumping headache which only subsided on my 6th can of Bud when I got home.

Attachments

• bass3.jpg
    bass3.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Nice one. Rather you than me though
I had reservations about going but the trip would not be viable if anyone dropped out but I will never do that again. By 10 am I really did worry about heat/sun stroke and I forgot to take my blood thinning tablets so a stroke was also at the back of my mind. I reckon I took on over 6 litres of water on the boat plus another litre before leaving the house and managed 1 piss all day.

Back