• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

New Boat - Orkney Pilothouse 20

Coxy

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Boat
Lock down has a lot to answer for. During lockdown I decided to have a small but tricky job which was long overdue done properly on my Orkney 520 "Whitewash". When I dropped her off at Orkney Boats I liked the look of a PH20 they had waiting to go to Scotland. A friend was looking at Smartliners & so I was browsing the boat sale pages & I found a lovely PH20. (2017). Having lost some friends to non covid stuff over the last couple of years - the wife said "treat yourself you are not getting any younger". Once my misunderstanding of what she meant had been cleared up ? The rest is history.
Sadly I now have to sell "Whitewash" after I pick her up next week & for some reason I feel really guilty. Like I have betrayed her.

Porcellus - is Latin for "Little Pig" - so she (the boat) is now known as "Porky"
4434603.jpg

Something like that is on the list for when I win the lottery.

I would love to have a boat and to be honest could easily afford to buy one of these but I feel that I am too far from the sea too use it the way I would like to, have not a clue how to drive one and in France you need to be able to get a cert/license and to that I am now in the elderly cat so am reluctant to start out on ventures that are totally new and potentially dangerous ... I am afraid it is dream on sadly :( If I was ten years younger and lived by the sea I would be having a boat.

edit you could say I have missed the boat :ROFLMAO: by the way I am only 65 but when you have a boat you have to have the savvy to go with it in my opinion.

Last edited:
That’s a lovely looking boat, congrats on your purchase.
what tech have you got running inside? I noticed there isn’t transducer are you through hull? Or a vhf aerial sticking up, is it folded for trailing?

Am having a Raymarine dragonfly GPS/ fishfinder linked to my navionics ipad - radar - & VHF. Putting her into Orkney for that & one or two other bits when i pick up my 520 - "Whitewash" on Tuesday.

Are you going for an arch or a strut?

Well I think a strut looks best, but an arch is more practical as you can stick all your other stuff up there as well, like radar reflector and it will push your antenna up another 18” giving further range etc, somewhere to put rod holders and so on but not as stylish as a strut

I would love to have a boat and to be honest could easily afford to buy one of these but I feel that I am too far from the sea too use it the way I would like to, have not a clue how to drive one and in France you need to be able to get a cert/license and to that I am now in the elderly cat so am reluctant to start out on ventures that are totally new and potentially dangerous ... I am afraid it is dream on sadly :( If I was ten years younger and lived by the sea I would be having a boat.

edit you could say I have missed the boat :ROFLMAO: by the way I am only 65 but when you have a boat you have to have the savvy to go with it in my opinion.
Just a year younger than you, and did a lot of boat fishing in my younger days with my best mate, so I'm fairly 'boat savvy'. I'd love a boat now, and am close to the sea, but wouldn't want the hassle of marina fees or a mooring, and nowhere to keep one at home. Just wish we had a "sensible" house with a garage & driveway!

Just a year younger than you, and did a lot of boat fishing in my younger days with my best mate, so I'm fairly 'boat savvy'. I'd love a boat now, and am close to the sea, but wouldn't want the hassle of marina fees or a mooring, and nowhere to keep one at home. Just wish we had a "sensible" house with a garage & driveway!
Do you not have a fishing club near by with a compound that you can store a boat in? Most clubs will have a launch system and work out cheaper than a marina!

My 520 is on a trailer & I kept it near the launch hard in a compound. Launch & recovered solo but must admit I reckon at 67 I had only a couple of years of that left so when the PH20 came up - could not resist (will be on a mooring). Putting her up for sale next week on Boats & outboards.

Attachments

• 20210505_100238.jpg
    20210505_100238.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 9
Back