• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Organising a Competition?

KaiH

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
I will be helping to organise a fishing competition from shore and boat in the next few months for a charity event. Does anyone have any experience of this that could point me in the right direction regarding rules, prizes, entry fees, insurance, risk assessment etc? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I will be helping to organise a fishing competition from shore and boat in the next few months for a charity event. Does anyone have any experience of this that could point me in the right direction regarding rules, prizes, entry fees, insurance, risk assessment etc? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Nice one Kai! Keep us informed. I can't offer any advice but I know a few on here belong to clubs and organise events. Hopefully, someone will be along later with some useful info. ??

Try:
Biggest: round fish.
Biggest: flat fish.
Most caught that are sizeable.
Largest weight caught.
Blank: booby prize.
Least amount of lost tackle.

I would contact shops and companies etc for the prize’s. See if they sponsor the event.

It depends what you’re aiming at Kai?

What competition format did you have in mind?
I’m a big fan of best specimen but that doesn’t necessarily mean a single fish. You could look at best brace or even best three, for example.
Within that you could have best specimen or biggest round fish, flat, hound, ray etc.
Is it catch and release?
Must admit I’m not a fan of the ‘heaviest bag’ type comps these days. Even assuming all fish are weighed and released, it’s still potentially a lot of dead loss, plus people have got to keep stopping to weigh or measure fish. Imo anyway.

I’d assume the boat and shore sections would be separate from each other?

Would the shore (and boat) be ‘roving’ ie anglers can fish anywhere within set limits over a set time span?
Or at a fixed venue and pegged?

If you went for a best specimen or heaviest fish format, but catch and release, there’s ways around the trust issue now ie anglers to video the weighing of fish while giving a password that’s only given out just before the start. Sounds a bit anal but the best way to avoid potential cheating, if it’s a big open with prize money at stake.
The one issue with that really is ideally you’d need to check their scales against accurate scales at the outset, which is obviously a faff.

As for competition rules, they’re entirely up to you, within minimum fish size limits if any fish were to be retained.
Don’t let anyone tell you the rules ‘have’ to be this or that, it’s a private event and you can run it however you like. Unless it fell under a governing body but even then, there’s no law at all that says you have to follow their guidelines.

Generally speaking a standard comp format would be something like, two rods, three hooks (a pennell rig counts as one).
Some comps ban certain baits, or used to, but I never saw the point of that.
How fish are weighed, measured or recorded is entirely up to you.
If it was at a fixed venue ie a beach, you’d have the option of pegging it and usually wise to say no setting up before signing in (if people have to sign in on the day).
Otherwise you’ll get people camped out on their favourite spot five hours before it starts ?
Pegging it eliminates that.
If it’s effectively a roving boundary then it’s not such an issue as people will all have different ideas of where they want to go anyway.

As far as insurance goes, I have no experience but if it’s a competition open to the general public rather than in house with a club (which would probably have its own insurance), you’d be wise to get something in place.
You could perhaps ask competitors to sign a waiver of T&Cs saying the organisers accept no liability and people fish are their own risk etc. Would also be worth including simple things such as no littering, cheating, looking after fish welfare etc.
But… if something did happen and it was deemed organisers were negligent in some way, I don’t know how much that would protect you in law.
Generally speaking a blanket insurance for an event is probably a wise move.
How much such a thing costs I have no idea!

A risk assessment would probably be needed for that, especially if you were holding it at a set venue.
As far as boats go, if it’s charters they’ll have all their own insurance and indeed so should private boat owners although I suspect a lot don’t.

Sorry, long waffle, but maybe if you could say what format you were thinking for the event, where it is, how many expected to take part, it would be easier to offer suggestions.

Thanks so much for the replies, especially Mr Fish which has given me a lot to think about.

The format I was thinking of was to be held at one specific beach for shore and one area for boats i.e. the skerries on a specific day and time scale of say 5 or 6 hours or so.

The pegged idea sounds good as then all meet at the sign in and draw pegs. Boats all to meet at given point.

I like the idea of best specimen and then a choice of catch and release and maybe this could be done with a card and ruler given at weigh in and maybe by length to eliminate the need to rely on scales?

For the boat I was thinking biggest bass, plaice and ray. Shore best plaice and then best other?

I know there will be a fair few small boats interested and then we will get advertising for the shore event. I will look into insurance and risk assessment and I think a waiver stating own risk and hold insurance for the boats.

If anyone has done a risk assessment before do you have a format or similar I could copy?

I assume closer to the time it's getting volunteers etc to help out and local businesses to offer prizes.

Thanks so much for the replies, especially Mr Fish which has given me a lot to think about.

The format I was thinking of was to be held at one specific beach for shore and one area for boats i.e. the skerries on a specific day and time scale of say 5 or 6 hours or so.

The pegged idea sounds good as then all meet at the sign in and draw pegs. Boats all to meet at given point.

I like the idea of best specimen and then a choice of catch and release and maybe this could be done with a card and ruler given at weigh in and maybe by length to eliminate the need to rely on scales?

For the boat I was thinking biggest bass, plaice and ray. Shore best plaice and then best other?

I know there will be a fair few small boats interested and then we will get advertising for the shore event. I will look into insurance and risk assessment and I think a waiver stating own risk and hold insurance for the boats.

If anyone has done a risk assessment before do you have a format or similar I could copy?

I assume closer to the time it's getting volunteers etc to help out and local businesses to offer prizes.
That all sounds good Kai, and keeps it relatively simple.
I think best or longest plaice is a good shout. It’s not as if people will be catching dozens each plus they’d likely be keeping in size fish for themselves anyway but also any smaller ones than their best are likely to be returned and they won’t need to bother with measuring.

Also a lot easier to get an accurate measurement on a boat rather than a weight!

If the shore was on a set beach then imo pegging is definitely the way to go. It’s random and eliminates any mad scramble for places.
Obviously you can’t peg the Skerries (?) but I think just setting out an area between set points as a square on a map would work fine.

I’ve never done an RA but I’d expect you can find a template on Google?

Volunteers might be your biggest headache, try and get commitments sooner rather than later imo.
I’ve found with such things that at the outset you get 10/20 people say they’ll definitely be there then a week before all the excuses start coming out - kids are ill, mrs has to work, forgot about a family trip, dog ate the car etc etc.
Try and get a commitment from more than you need because you can almost guarantee a percentage will drop out. Usually at short notice ?

Thanks for that. I'm just waiting for final confirmation on the date then I will get going full steam ahead.
You won't get far on the beach Kai, need a boat or 3 - just jesting ;)

Keep things simple is the easiest way.
Re ins and risk, contact the Angling Trust. They deal with that sort of thing all the time, so they may as well be of occasional use!
Can you get any form of endorsement from the charity you are raising money for? Maybe they will provide ins etc for an event in their name?

Keep things simple is the easiest way.
Re ins and risk, contact the Angling Trust. They deal with that sort of thing all the time, so they may as well be of occasional use!
Can you get any form of endorsement from the charity you are raising money for? Maybe they will provide ins etc for an event in their name?
And tell them it’s a coarse match otherwise probably no one will respond ?

Then they’ll issue a press release claiming credit for organising it ?

And tell them it’s a coarse match otherwise probably no one will respond ?

Then they’ll issue a press release claiming credit for organising it ?
Sounds about right for AT

It seems as though the charity are keen to be involved by giving us banners and promoting on their social media etc so could ask about insurance.

Good idea asking the AT as they might be able to help.

Definitely plan to keep it simple.

It seems as though the charity are keen to be involved by giving us banners and promoting on their social media etc so could ask about insurance.

Like I say, the AT may be of some use. Might as well give them a chance to be useful. Or give them more rope to hang themselves!

Like I say, the AT may be of some use. Might as well give them a chance to be useful. Or give them more rope to hang themselves!
That will be a first Shirl. I have never known AT to be anything but jobs worth imo.

Yes I was being tongue in cheek of course but in theory it’s what they do all the time so they SHOULD be able to advise.

I suspect it might come attached with more bureaucracy than is needed, but who knows, maybe not!

The charity could well advise on RA etc too, if they’re of any size as they probably have to do plenty themselves

I would say that making sure the rules are understood and adheared to is one of the most important aspects.
Some years ago I was involved in a large regional competition , the rules stated that anybody caught weighing in an undersized fish would have his entire catch disqualified from his team and personal weight .That meant in effect that any angler weighing in undersized fish was disqualified from the comptetition and imo quite rightly so.
At the weigh in one very successful match angler was discovered to have 3 undersized fish in his otherwise match winning bag. He was disqualified and there was an uproar from him and his team who always made the top 2 places in any match . We stuck to our guns and the team came 4 th and out of the prizes . They refused to compete ever again in our comps .

Dave

Back