• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Advice Pumpers lube?

Thrasher

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
What do you use and how often?

Got a pump, well a couple actually but mot got out with one yet.

I have read that some use, veg oil, some washing up liquid, a mix of both.

What would you recommend. Also how do you know when more lube is required?

What do you use and how often?

Got a pump, well a couple actually but mot got out with one yet.

I have read that some use, veg oil, some washing up liquid, a mix of both.

What would you recommend. Also how do you know when more lube is required?
Anne Summers do a silky one! When it starts stinging, you need more lube. ??

No, seriously, I haven't got or tried a bait pump, and I've heard of both dish soap & veg oil being used, but from a little engineering experience, I would think it depends on what your pump washers & components are made of - anything made of rubber usually doesn'r react well to oil. Silicone grease or spray might be a good option.

Anne Summers do a silky one! When it starts stinging, you need more lube. ??

No, seriously, I haven't got or tried a bait pump, and I've heard of both dish soap & veg oil being used, but from a little engineering experience, I would think it depends on what your pump washers & components are made of - anything made of rubber usually doesn'r react well to oil. Silicone grease or spray might be a good option.
Silicone washers at the moment.

My thinking is that soap will be easier to clean off at the end of a session?
I would think that a good hose down after a session to remove any sand or mud would be fine. Perhaps not use a thick Silicone grease. I've got some stuff in a tube from an eBay motor factor that is quite runny but does the lubrication thing - I think it was this stuff: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Carlube-...121189?hash=item34361c42e5:g:J-wAAOSwe~lfu5A5

I bought it for protecting car battery terminals and it was a bit too runny, so have since bought some thicker stuff. Soap should be fine with Silicone anyway! ??

I use veg oil, a little squirt every 50 to 100 worms depending on the ground and the 'feel' of the pump.

I personally do not use washing up liquid as I believe it taints the worms.
I can smell worms pumped with washing up liquid so I believe the fish can.

I use veg oil, a little squirt every 50 to 100 worms depending on the ground and the 'feel' of the pump.

Just going to say the same about WU liquid?

poisons them also as so much nasty in Washing up liquid. Reason why i always rinse off well anything been washed up for one see what it does to things on plates like oils and greases imagine what it does inside us!

have tried veg oil it works but messy , no use washing up liquid 50% with water cheapish biodegradable that i can get .

Well I’m disgusted!

I thought this thread was about something else altogether ???
So did I - that's why I kicked off with the 1st reply and mentioned Anne Summers..... ??

Washing up liquid, 50/50 water, if not the washers get stuck together, do it often plus every now and then put the pump in the sea if possible to clean it out and then lub it up ?

I have had a look and Tesco seem to do one too. I will have a look next time I am in and capture the next empty bottle from the kitchen so I am prepared forvs practice session.

I watched a video of someone pumping and it looked like they were using a liquid hand soap by the shape of the bottle.

The fella pumping was out with daughter and dog, daughter was doing the picking up with a set of litter pickers. I think it was north west Liverpool area by the accents and she really had her eye in as quite often she said "werm" before her dad had noticed it was out

I think my granddaughter is probably a bit young yet but maybe a helper for the future.

I have had a look and Tesco seem to do one too. I will have a look next time I am in and capture the next empty bottle from the kitchen so I am prepared forvs practice session.

I watched a video of someone pumping and it looked like they were using a liquid hand soap by the shape of the bottle.

The fella pumping was out with daughter and dog, daughter was doing the picking up with a set of litter pickers. I think it was north west Liverpool area by the accents and she really had her eye in as quite often she said "werm" before her dad had noticed it was out

I think my granddaughter is probably a bit young yet but maybe a helper for the future.
i use HA6 marine sealant for the washers 10 -15 mill thick , i think thats so much better than the washers ,i use a bit of 32 mm plastic waste pipe put a cut in to close the size down a bit ,put Vaseline over it to stop sticking fill it let set for a few weeks ,put a pencil to give the centre hole ,

How much are you using a gallon? Never once have I smelt fairy liquid in the worms? I only put 2-3 drops in my pump at any one time tho.

How much are you using a gallon? Never once have I smelt fairy liquid in the worms? I only put 2-3 drops in my pump at any one time tho.
None, I use veg oil.
I said I can smell worms that have been pumped using washing up liquid ?

I think the most important thing is having confidence in what you are using ?

Back