• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Regional baits.

Redneck Dek

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Round these parts the most sought after bait at this time of year are wings(about £1.10 each)and cart.
Personally I’ve not noticed catch rates differ when using it.
Them packs of dehydrated lugworm in sawdust I find a waste of money.
My go to baits this time of year are fresh lugworm,mussel,razor and squid and the odd mackie.
What is the most popular baits in your patch?

Depends what your after. Fish (bluey/mack/sandeel)and squid cocktails or blood fresh whiting for huss, rays and conger. Blacks in the winter for cod, whiting or flats and rag in the summer for pollack and wrasse Peeler for the bass and hounds and the local plaice which take mussel as well although hardly anyone uses it over hereplaice.JPGNever seen anyone using cart though. Razor gets a bit of use in some places but not as much as it should as it's great for flatties and bass

Depends what your after. Fish (bluey/mack/sandeel)and squid cocktails or blood fresh whiting for huss, rays and conger. Blacks in the winter for cod, whiting or flats and rag in the summer for pollack and wrasse Peeler for the bass and hounds and the local plaice which take mussel as well although hardly anyone uses it over hereView attachment 674Never seen anyone using cart though. Razor gets a bit of use in some places but not as much as it should as it's great for flatties and bass
I know one guy uses cart at western shore, seems to be bait less used here

Depends what your after. Fish (bluey/mack/sandeel)and squid cocktails or blood fresh whiting for huss, rays and conger. Blacks in the winter for cod, whiting or flats and rag in the summer for pollack and wrasse Peeler for the bass and hounds and the local plaice which take mussel as well although hardly anyone uses it over hereView attachment 674Never seen anyone using cart though. Razor gets a bit of use in some places but not as much as it should as it's great for flatties and bass
I’ve never used sandeel here!or seen anyone use it.
As long I’ve got fresh worm I’m happy?

I’ve never used sandeel here!or seen anyone use it.
As long I’ve got fresh worm I’m happy?
There has been panic in some circles the last few years because of the lack of sandeels. I know lads in South wales who are driving miles just to get hold of a few packets

Depends on time of year down January till April sandeel is killer why buy live in bulk then freeze down killer for se ra dogs big pout and whiteing April onwards it peeler my mates got some traps and gets some crackers for hounds and plaice rest of the fresh Mac and rags takes most things if we head chisel then fresh blacks is are go to bait

Fresh Blacks, Squid , Razer, and maybe mackerel to tip off from the beaches , Squid and blacks from the rocks .

Sandeel for Bass,

A lot of anglers here in Yorkshire swear by cart , but I think it is a waste of time and money, never had anything using cart to make me think its the "wonder bait" that some would have you believe, similarly peelers, I have used them , fresh and alive ( well before they were used as bait)and honestly have never had a touch on them, so they are also off my Christmas list.

Dave

Fresh Blacks, Squid , Razer, and maybe mackerel to tip off from the beaches , Squid and blacks from the rocks .

Sandeel for Bass,

A lot of anglers here in Yorkshire swear by cart , but I think it is a waste of time and money, never had anything using cart to make me think its the "wonder bait" that some would have you believe, similarly peelers, I have used them , fresh and alive ( well before they were used as bait)and honestly have never had a touch on them, so they are also off my Christmas list.

Dave
I find cart catches more fishermen!?

Yup if u use fresh lug you are at a disadvantage.
If you fish the humber frozen out classes fresh every time
I wonder why?
Do you think tides and movement of water so the worm gets bashed and washed so it’s familiar to the fish?
It’s only a thought ?

I wonder why?
Do you think tides and movement of water so the worm gets bashed and washed so it’s familiar to the fish?
It’s only a thought ?
Dont really know mate,unless frozen stays on the hook longer, especially in the humber as the tide can run like a train.
But it's about the same on the beaches so that chucks that idea out of the window

Some days it's one, some days the other over here although frozen is always better for the flatties
If u came fishing here, and u fished next to me, cast the same distance etc, and of course if theres fish about lol, u may not even get a bite on fresh.
One of those things we will never know the reason why

All depends what you are targeting.
Black lug is the most popular down here in SE Kent, but I suspect that is because it is easy to use, catches a variety of fish and is comparatively easy to dig or buy.

I think if more people used Squid or fish baits catch rates would drop but size of fish would increase.

Back