• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Rig storage

How do you store rigs

• Spool

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Rig wallet

Votes: 10 50.0%
  • Plastic bags

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Loose

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 10.0%

• Total voters

flappy

Reaction score
Looking to change my way of storing rigs and hooklengths. I currently use plastic bags that blow away down the beach when I open my box..any other recommendations..?

A wallet or two for me, depending where I am fishing. If I'm bass fishing stood in the surf though on a clean beach I might just take only one or two spare rigs in my pocket in cd pouches

I use a mustard rig wallet, quite robust and has lasted me 5-6 years, a few of the pouches have started to split a little now though. It even has two velcro storage pockets on the back to store hooks, etc.... And two big velcro mesh pockets on the inside for other bits.

When I'm only fishing a short session or know I'll only need a couple of rigs and weights, I just take a 2l bottle with the top cut off with all my rigs and leads thrown in it, then keep my t bar, knife, pliers in it aswell, saves carrying loads of stuff I won't need.

Looking to change my way of storing rigs and hooklengths. I currently use plastic bags that blow away down the beach when I open my box..any other recommendations..?
Ian Golds Rig Wallet! I've had several different types over the years but last year I finally listed to all of the advice and got an Ian Golds wallet.

I should have listened earlier!

Tried allsorts. I've got what started out to be a good rig wallet but the ziplock things have broke. Tried a Tronixpro rig winder pouch but the traces never seemed to stay tidy on the winders and the hooks used to stick out or fall out of the winder. Wifey came home some months ago with a big wedge of 10cm square self-seal bags, so I just use them now - 1 for each rig, and tuck them in the rig wallet or the velcro pouch in the top of my tackle bag. Cheap and disposable, plus you can write the contents in marker pen.

Same as you.
But i normally set the lot up before i leave to fish and break the rod down to fit in car.
Just leave weight off.
Only then need to change rig if break off when snagged.

been using Tronix winders for years and no problem at all, really neat and easy to take off with no tangles ... I use map pins bought from WHSmiths to secure the top of the rig, the narrow slim version are perfect for additional snoods for Dropper rigs etc

I use the foam winders in my boat box but just a handful of rigs in old hook packets in a pocket for on the beach (wrapped together with a hair band). I leave the kitchen sink at home though I know others like to carry the lot. If you're carrying a box like the Beta then there's all the modifications with trunking, velcro, bungee etc to choose from

I voted plastic bags but actually I bag the rigs up in sealable baggies (erm, think drug deals ?) and store them in a rig wallet.
It’s an AFAW one but getting a bit tired and knackered now, need a new one...

I voted plastic bags but actually I bag the rigs up in sealable baggies (erm, think drug deals ?) and store them in a rig wallet.
It’s an AFAW one but getting a bit tired and knackered now, need a new one...
That reminds me, someone gave me some tackle a couple of years ago.
Will have to check i am sure there is a rig wallet there.
Be a bit better than plastic snappie bags.

That reminds me, someone gave me some tackle a couple of years ago.
Will have to check i am sure there is a rig wallet there.
Be a bit better than plastic snappie bags.
It’s handy to keep it all together.

Mine is a bit messy and disorganised and every now and again I need to cut up a few rigs and recycle the components - and the bags!
Haven’t bought any new bags for years!

Cheers guys..looks like a right wallet is the way to go..thanks all.
What I think you need to ask yourself Flappy, is how much fishing do you intend to do. If you are going to be fishing fairly regularly, at a variety of venues for different species, then get a decent rig wallet that can hold enough rigs that you can have three or four of each type, to cover most eventualities.

If however, you are only going to be fishing once a month, at one or two venues, or for primarily one or two species, do you then really need thirty rigs sitting in a wallet doing nothing? Maybe a smaller wallet that can hold six or eight rigs would be more suited then?

That's interesting Kine as I think the exact opposite! The more fishing I do the less gear I need to take as I know where I'm going, what to expect etc and would rather keep gear to a minimum. It just goes to show that we're all different and there's nothing wrong with doing things your own way. Perhaps if my fishing was more varied I'd go back to carrying rig walllets and more options but I live on the coast and so have got to know my local marks well. In periods of favourable weather I will fish as hard as possible so I've a store of rigs made up and kept at home but only carry enough to cover a good session of double patting plus a spare for each rod (rig losses are rare because I'm fishing over clean ground). Each to their own eh(y)

What I think you need to ask yourself Flappy, is how much fishing do you intend to do. If you are going to be fishing fairly regularly, at a variety of venues for different species, then get a decent rig wallet that can hold enough rigs that you can have three or four of each type, to cover most eventualities.

If however, you are only going to be fishing once a month, at one or two venues, or for primarily one or two species, do you then really need thirty rigs sitting in a wallet doing nothing? Maybe a smaller wallet that can hold six or eight rigs would be more suited then?
I have been out three times in the last four years...but I am trying to get out more..if my gear is ready..I might be able to get out on a whim.

I have been out three times in the last four years...but I am trying to get out more..if my gear is ready..I might be able to get out on a whim.
I’ve taken a couple of pics of my Ian Golds wallet, just so you can see how much storage it has. Not sure you would need something this big. (Not sure I do actually!)
6E4F4959-3DC7-4F3F-9710-D6642AD5C352.jpeg
53C71104-09D0-4236-8F5E-F2E7BAF214DC.jpeg
961F896D-E951-44AA-855E-D9A2FD724384.jpeg

I probably have six two hook flapper rigs..half a dozen pulleys..a couple of bolt rig type with a sliding lead..and a few boat rigs (god knows what they are for)..and some double hook pennel rigs..plus some some short hooklength rigs that I made myself ..plus the usual sabikis and tinsel mack feather things..I have already ordered a large golds wallet

Back