• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Advice Rod quiver/holdall?

Thrasher

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Do I need one?

My old rods used to get tied together with some short straps with a buckle that came of an old rucksack I had. They didn't have bags and got strapped together with tripod and gaff in a bundle.
Now I have new gear, with rod bags, new tripod, beach brolley, do I need a quiver to carry it all and keep it in good nick?

If you use one how do you find it? What do you use?

I love rod bags, canvas or padded, travel tubes, holdalls and quivers I've got loads - they live happily behind my wardrobe which I have to keep pulling away from the wall occasionally to create a little more room for my latest treat. :)

Holdalls are good for avoiding prying eyes, they stop others counting things and keeping mental notes.

Get lots of holdalls!;)

I love rod bags, canvas or padded, travel tubes, holdalls and quivers I've got loads - they live happily behind my wardrobe which I have to keep pulling away from the wall occasionally to create a little more room for my latest treat. :)

Holdalls are good for avoiding prying eyes, they stop others counting things and keeping mental notes.

Get lots of holdalls!;)
Have you any particular favourites?

I like Penn stuff buddy but suspect you'll have to buy secondhand? The stuff coming out of China today lacks quality, wears quickly and stitches fall apart. Also some of the older holdalls from carp fishing can be quality, Tricast and suchlike spring to mind but mostly these don't take longer rods, my Penn ones can extend by undoing a zip at the bottom. I'm not a big fan of quivers - rod tips need extra protection? Got rod tubes from Penn also, in different sizes up to eight feet long, ages old but Shimano ones soon fall to bits.

In my opinion best thing is to keep an eye out on eBay, I've bought lots of stuff from there that has never been used - stuff some folks suddenly rediscover in their lofts and decide they never use so may as well sell? I'll give you a shout if I see anything. Geoff.

Sorry, I should clarify, I mean the bags that the Imax FR Match rods come with are hard wearing, they will protect the tips very well.
I would agree they are a sturdy rod bag.
They are the longest rods I have being two piece.
The VMO had caught my eye.

IMAX is good, but if you whant to keep rods completely outta sight then get the titan rod hold all ,if got 2 of them in my view they the best

Do I need one?

My old rods used to get tied together with some short straps with a buckle that came of an old rucksack I had. They didn't have bags and got strapped together with tripod and gaff in a bundle.
Now I have new gear, with rod bags, new tripod, beach brolley, do I need a quiver to carry it all and keep it in good nick?

If you use one how do you find it? What do you use?

I've just bought a Shakespeare Agility as I mentioned on the Trolley thread. I've got an old tired rod bag that I keep all of my spare rods, sand spikes and "stuff" in, but decided to order a new one. Partly after hearing so many stories about broken rods & rings being trapped in car doors and the like, and also because I have some Silverline sack trucks with baloon tyres, and I want to strap the rod bag/quiver to the sack trucks for rods & tripod. I guess the Agility quiver will hold 4 rods if needed, and it has a pouch and straps for my Salt tripod. There are people selling them on fleabay for £40 - £50, but I watched & waited and got mine for £29. Very pleased with it.

I like Penn stuff buddy but suspect you'll have to buy secondhand? The stuff coming out of China today lacks quality, wears quickly and stitches fall apart. Also some of the older holdalls from carp fishing can be quality, Tricast and suchlike spring to mind but mostly these don't take longer rods, my Penn ones can extend by undoing a zip at the bottom. I'm not a big fan of quivers - rod tips need extra protection? Got rod tubes from Penn also, in different sizes up to eight feet long, ages old but Shimano ones soon fall to bits.

In my opinion best thing is to keep an eye out on eBay, I've bought lots of stuff from there that has never been used - stuff some folks suddenly rediscover in their lofts and decide they never use so may as well sell? I'll give you a shout if I see anything. Geoff.
I should have mentioned that the Agility quiver is about 4'6" tall, but that also has an 18" extension that you can unzip at the bottom, though I have heard folks say that if carrying it over your shoulder, the bottom then drags ground if you are a little vertically challenged! My 3 piece 15' Conti rod sticks out of the top about 6" with the quiver short, but it's in its own thick protective neoprene bag anyway, so not an isssue.

Partly after hearing so many stories about broken rods & rings being trapped in car doors and the like,

Thats the reason why I leave my roof bars on the car all the time, long rods in tubes and rod rests on the roof - short multi piece rods in tubes inside! ;)

Thats the reason why I leave my roof bars on the car all the time, long rods in tubes and rod rests on the roof - short multi piece rods in tubes inside! ;)
Agree! Jeepy has got factory fitted roof bars if I need them. Nearly did last year as I couldn't get one of the joints on the Conti rod apart, but found out I can get 10' inside across corner from windscreen to tailgate! Decent roof bars are a godsend - we took a couple of 1.6x2 metre double glazed windows over to France a couple of years ago on the roof - no problem to Jeepy! ????

Just bought the imax competition rod bag and it’s brilliant well worth the money

I just use a Titan rod strap, used it for years.

But then I don’t use a shelter or a brolly as such things aren’t really feasible on my coast.

I’ve got a Salt holdall that gets used occasionally if I want to take three rods somewhere like Chesil, but I hate it.
Yes it takes the rods but I find it so unbalanced to carry, I don’t enjoy using it. It sometimes has its uses., just.

This was another challenge I encountered in my crossover from coarse fishing - never thought about rod storage/carriage for long rods until I got a 2 piece 14' one!

Whilst I was happy to strap my initial cheap rod to a tripod and carry it like that, I am a bit more careful with new rods. Haven't mastered it yet but I do have a quiver I use for barbel fishing which would be big enough. Obviously the tips would be "out" but does anyone use tip protectors like those designed for carp/pike fishing? I will use them if I try the quiver, even if I keep the rods in their rod bag on the quiver.

Am happy to carry the reels separately although the cheap quiver I have will take 3 made up rods with reels and could also take the tripod.

1617697593242.png1617697652057.png

I used to use the IMAX rod bag where you could keep two rods made up inside it with reels on, was great til the zips got abit corroded so got rid of it and now just tie my rods together with the garden tie things or a bungee. Tripod (IMAX extendable) gets strapped to my backpack and I don't really use a shelter very often but that is strapped to the rods too if/when I use one.

Back