• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Shock leaders.

Thanks for the info & chat Guys! So the general opinion is that if I can find a Shimano reel, the Ultegra 14000 XSD is the one to go for.

I've had another go at the shockleader on the Dragon reel, and done the half hitch/uni knot jobbie, and it does look slightly more compact than the double uni knot I did before.

I've also had another play with the bail arm roller, and put a thin washer behind it which has given me a fraction more clearance. The actual roller slips over a brass bush (no bearings) and the brass bush is slightly shorter than the depth of the roller, so as soon as you tighten down the retaining screw, it locks the roller up. Very poor design, but hindsight is wonderful! Plenty of silicone grease was applied. It was £60's worth of reel on special offer, so not that cheap.

Any comments on my question about the Penn Surfblaster I versus the Surfbalster II? Is there any major pitfalls or differences between the two? The Surfblaster I's I saw earlier both have spare spools so I guess that is a bonus if there isn't a spare spool with the new II's. As I mentioned, briefly thought about a new Surfblaster II but nobody seems to have stock. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Thanks for the info & chat Guys! So the general opinion is that if I can find a Shimano reel, the Ultegra 14000 XSD is the one to go for.

I've had another go at the shockleader on the Dragon reel, and done the half hitch/uni knot jobbie, and it does look slightly more compact than the double uni knot I did before.

I've also had another play with the bail arm roller, and put a thin washer behind it which has given me a fraction more clearance. The actual roller slips over a brass bush (no bearings) and the brass bush is slightly shorter than the depth of the roller, so as soon as you tighten down the retaining screw, it locks the roller up. Very poor design, but hindsight is wonderful! Plenty of silicone grease was applied. It was £60's worth of reel on special offer, so not that cheap.

Any comments on my question about the Penn Surfblaster I versus the Surfbalster II? Is there any major pitfalls or differences between the two? The Surfblaster I's I saw earlier both have spare spools so I guess that is a bonus if there isn't a spare spool with the new II's. As I mentioned, briefly thought about a new Surfblaster II but nobody seems to have stock. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Slowing your cast up and making things smoother helps as well. An extra oz of lead can make a difference

You get used to it though. You can tell a dog from a bass from a flounder. I get a lot more end tackle back using 60lb braiid and 30 lb rotten bottom and snoods than I ever thought possible. Clean ground I switch down to 30lb braid and braid leaders. Don't have any problem with wind knots with 2 speed oscilating reels
Yea I guess but I’ve been happy enough with mono up to now.

It’s a case of...

7A4A602F-3DCA-441A-813C-FC4398EB8DB9.jpeg

If it's not broke.......
I’m actually gonna swap my estuary flounder year back to mono this year. Got 20lb braid on there at the mo, but usually only lobbing out and as you know, flounder aren’t the most vigorous fish.
Not so much for bite detection reasons, but I find the braid does pick up the micro weed and leaves easier as it sticks and is harder to remove.
Plus it goes a bit rough and fluffy after a few trips.
I’ve got spare spools anyway, so gonna load up with 15lb straight through and see how that goes.
It just seems to me that I’ve enjoyed using the braid less than I used to the mono, so want to go back old school again.
I think I only put braid on in the first place as thought I could use lighter leads but tbh seems to have been about the same.

I’m actually gonna swap my estuary flounder year back to mono this year. Got 20lb braid on there at the mo, but usually only lobbing out and as you know, flounder aren’t the most vigorous fish.
Not so much for bite detection reasons, but I find the braid does pick up the micro weed and leaves easier as it sticks and is harder to remove.
Plus it goes a bit rough and fluffy after a few trips.
I’ve got spare spools anyway, so gonna load up with 15lb straight through and see how that goes.
It just seems to me that I’ve enjoyed using the braid less than I used to the mono, so want to go back old school again.
I think I only put braid on in the first place as thought I could use lighter leads but tbh seems to have been about the same.
Yep that's my big dislike of braid is the way it picks up fine weed and you can't jus slide it down like with mono. It sticks like hell

Yep that's my big dislike of braid is the way it picks up fine weed and you can't jus slide it down like with mono. It sticks like hell
Hmmm never had a problem with it, I am useing spider wire 8 and it slide just as if it was mono. Getting it off is easier In lumps feel, coz the small diameter seems to cut the weed as you pull it , but I wouldn't tempt it with mono .

Just deferent experance I guess.

Hmmm never had a problem with it, I am useing spider wire 8 and it slide just as if it was mono. Getting it off is easier In lumps feel, coz the small diameter seems to cut the weed as you pull it , but I wouldn't tempt it with mono .

It’s more specifically the estuary scenario because the water can be full of bits of leaf, fibres, very fine weed. Looks a bit like shredded bog roll (and sometimes it is!)
Builds up a small but irritating layer that has to be picked off a bit at a time

It’s more specifically the estuary scenario because the water can be full of bits of leaf, fibres, very fine weed. Looks a bit like shredded bog roll (and sometimes it is!)
Builds up a small but irritating layer that has to be picked off a bit at a time
Ahhh lettice sea weed, can be a pain that, if it dries on you kit it's a real bugger

I find that nanofill stuff not so bad for it because it's smoother

It’s even finer than that. It is literally like fibres or fluff.
I guess it’s plant fibres. Every bush and tree alongside the river sheds into it
That's the stuff. It can lock up solid with 4x braid before it even gets to the leader not

It’s even finer than that. It is literally like fibres or fluff.
I guess it’s plant fibres. Every bush and tree alongside the river sheds into it
Wow I have not come across that problem, most of my fishing is esturay , and like you say there some stuff that rather not get caught in the line. Is it all year or parts of the year mate ?

Wow I have not come across that problem, most of my fishing is esturay , and like you say there some stuff that rather not get caught in the line. Is it all year or parts of the year mate ?
Autumn really, next few weeks until the trees etc have shed.
It’s quite a small estuary, I think they’re bigger in your area?

Back