• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Shrink tube over Leader Knot

StuBeard

Reaction score
Hi all, i've been pondering different leader knots, but no matter what knot i use I always end up getting that fine weed caught on it which often gets stuck in the top eye which can be a pain when trying to land a decent fish or when wading, has anyone ever tried using a short section of shrink tube over the knot to create a smooth intersection between the mainline and leader? Shouldn't cause any issue casting as it will actually go up through the guides easier? Any thoughts on for or against?

Good idea to stop the weed collecting on the knot, don't know to much about it, but I was speaking to a lure guy, he tried it on the knots, well not shrink tube but glue, two things he said was , the large flat spot when the line was reeled on the spool, and the other unconfirmed, was that depending on the glue, it weekend the line strength . Seemed to degrade the line. But my argument was the FG knot is also sorta large, all be it flexible but rigs are glued together.

Guess it's something to try and test the line strength opposed to normal uncovered knots

I can see that on a lure set up it could be more of an issue, I was thinking just on beach casting set up especially on the heavier gear where i'm using 80lb leader, unlike glue the shrink tube should not effect the line strength as it only covers the knot and is still flexible unlike hard glue. Guess the only way to tell is give it a go.

Totally agree , it's not the same thing but yes it's something to try. Be interesting to see what you find and hope that it works . The weed on the knot is very annoying so you could be on to something

Tight lines mate

It is something that I tried a few years ago but I experienced a couple of problems. The first was that the shrink tube still caught a little bit on the top ring when I was reeling in and it split the shrink tube very quickly. Once it had split it became worse within a couple of casts.
A second problem was that the section with shrink tube seemed to go hard after being immersed in sea water and then created a clunk as it passed through the rod rings, particularly the smaller ones.
Finally, no matter how tight the shrink tube was over the line, it still seemed to trap weed.

I gave up in the end and just tried to do a neater leader knot.

Those are some interesting points, I know my mate who tried it, ok on lures, was not happy and went back to what we have

Heatshrink is not something I would try in that situation. I tried using Braid with an FG knot, and the knot was OK but couldn't get on with the braid - too many wind knots halfway down the line. I've never had a problem with weed on my leader knots. I recently got snagged & lost my leader & all the rig & end tackle. I'm using 20Lb mono & 60Lb leader, and couldn't remeber what knot I last used, so put a new leader on with a double uni knot. There is a very narrow gap on the bale arm roller on my reel, and the uni knot is catching going through the roller. Time for a new reel methinks. I also have sometimes used a drop of superglue on my knots, and I do find it smooths the passage of the knot through the rings, for what it's worth. Lots of folks use a dab of "rig glue" on their knots.

Last edited:
Any abrasion on the main line will catch the weed, so I can not see shrink tube working. Lot of effort to take to loose it when you crack off or get snagged and loose the leader and end tackle. Better off putting a larger tip ring on, but you will still have to pluck the weed off at some point. Just have to live with it I think. Sorry and good luck.

Hi all, i've been pondering different leader knots, but no matter what knot i use I always end up getting that fine weed caught on it which often gets stuck in the top eye which can be a pain when trying to land a decent fish or when wading, has anyone ever tried using a short section of shrink tube over the knot to create a smooth intersection between the mainline and leader? Shouldn't cause any issue casting as it will actually go up through the guides easier? Any thoughts on for or against?

Hi are you using mono to mono? Tapered helps alot.
Only use Braid leaders on all reels now small knots get max out of cast and 4 strand choogie braid is tuff!
on my Aero techs and Power Aeros use thin braid to get benefit of high wrap line lay daiwa J braid Grand and Shimano Terriyaki (well something yaki?) with Power pro 8 strand for leader around 100lb been good.
With braids/leaders etc on FS need to make sure knot when wound back on reel is below the rest of leader!
Or when cast leader under high strain/speed is pulling over the knot so chaffing knot as does so weakens it.
Also can get a crack as gets to last turns before knot gets off which i think can add to ring wrap issues?

Used to find with Nano Fil knot would just "break" but on looking at it it's where leader knot gets other line abrading it.
We'd done all sorts of knots but one that seemed to last was tying then doing loops back up main line with main line which also makes knot less weedable!

Tapered mono leaders are expensive but do make a smaller knot. I use a double uni and give it a dab of Hard As Nails nail strengthener to smooth the knot even more. It doesn't seem to weaken the line.

I’ve tried it as well, it just isn’t the answer! Braid straight through!! Although I don’t do it myself but I will try it out when it’s time to respool

Mono to mono , a tapered leader is the answer, I use a simple blood knot or back to back grinner.

For Braid, which I use 90 % of the time an FG knot joining 60lb to 30lb is good to go, I use a small dab of superglue to keep the tags in place . Everybody has different ideas on this subject, just go with what you find works for you.

Dave

Back