• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West Tat goes boating

What fish is that..?
Tub gurnard they do get up to 10 lb but Rare to catch them that size good to eat too there’s loads of small ones down here atm but we orso get reds greys and occasionally streaked there called gurnard cause they crock comes from the french word to gurn like i said good to eat but I very rarely take them css as use there cool little fellas a certain angler on here has caught one i think it was that size from the beach a point for the first person who names them ???

Last edited:
Tub gurnard they do get up to 10 lb but Rare to catch them that size good to eat too there’s loads of small ones down here atm but we orso get reds greys and occasionally streaked there called gurnard cause they crock comes from the french word to gurn like i said good to eat but I very rarely take them css as use there cool little fellas a certain angler on here has caught one i think it was that size from the beach a point for the first person who names them ???
Si I’m sure?

But didn’t he step over a puddle and catch it on his shoelace? ?

John Mitchell?

My mate had a 15ft with. I never felt worried in it, even in a big sea.
I think the UK main dealer for With was down here in Kingsbridge where I grew up. WIlls Marine - still going. There were 3 Wills brothers - 1 ran the Marine business, 1 moved away, and 1 had a car sales & service business in the same town. I went out with the daughter of the latter one for a few years - should have married her!

1631790669127.png

I think the UK main dealer for With was down here in Kingsbridge where I grew up. WIlls Marine - still going. There were 3 Wills brothers - 1 ran the Marine business, 1 moved away, and 1 had a car sales & service business in the same town. I went out with the daughter of the latter one for a few years - should have married her!

View attachment 14516
I know the daughter of old boy who started with withs this country, married to a relation of mine, Torbay/Torquay originally??????.

I know the daughter of old boy who started with withs this country, married to a relation of mine, Torbay/Torquay originally??????.
Was the old Boy the same surname as I mentioned? I don't know if the guy who had Wills Marine had any daughters - it was the car garage guy and his 2 daughters I knew better. He had a son too, who would be about my age.

EDIT: Interesting information;

BONWITCO

"Bonwitco is a long established, well respected brand originally based in Kingsbridge, Devon, now based in The Netherlands. Over the years Bonwitco have produced over 7000 boats, so its not surprising that their range of craft can be found all around Europe."

And all of the Bonwitco boats have 'With' on them, so quite possible the boat you mentioned was made in Kingsbridge. Wills Marine designed it anyway, before they sold out to the Netherlands.

Last edited:
That was our trip out on spot on charters the other week. Wayne got a prize in the Torbay sea angling festival for that.
Will try to sort a report out for that trip, was a good couple of days and we weighed a few fish in between us too.....
That was a hell of a fish mate spot on worth a crack then mate never been off down there on a charter mate ?

Back