• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Terminal tackle

For me, on a sandy beach, two hook clipped down size 1 and a single 3/0 pennell with squid or mack for anything bigger bimbling about.

Nowt wrong with flattie bashing mate. There is not much finer than a plate of fat little autumn dab

i was spoilt in my youth
flatty bashing involved 50+ tide after tide if you wanted em from mid sept through to jan

i do like a plate of fat little dabs, the good thing is they aint shy over this side, and will readily wang a set of 4/0's down their necks

Fixed for me. They hang themselves against the weight of the lead. Bass are one of the easiest fish to catch. I really don’t get the mystery surrounding them.
Open surf beaches I doubt it makes any difference bites tend to be pretty fast but I often used rolling leads as well. Fishing peeler in a shallow gulley on a rising tide and the bites can be a bit cute and I did better with running paternoster with a light lead. Did even better when a local Welsh guy showed me his way of baiting up with peeler but that was many years ago when you could catch bass in daylight.

I use running ledgers for bass close in, and use semi circle hooks too. The pull against the rod tip sets the hook most of the time. I’m talking about 2 rod lengths out at most.
I always use a 4 or 5ft long trace too - 20lb ish amnesia works a treat and I rarely get issues with tangles.

Go to rigs?
Pulley rigs for and only for really rough ground.
Running ledger for bass close range.
Boom rigs for sole close range.
3 hook flappers for general fishing.
3 hook clipped for general fishing at range.
Loop rigs for plaice at range.
Up and over wish bone rigs for plaice at range.
Up and over pennell rigs for rays.
Clipped down patternoster pennell rigs for cod.

Hook size depending on bait size.
Hook type depending on species and ground.

Go to rigs?
Pulley rigs for and only for really rough ground.
Running ledger for bass close range.
Boom rigs for sole close range.
3 hook flappers for general fishing.
3 hook clipped for general fishing at range.
Loop rigs for plaice at range.
Up and over wish bone rigs for plaice at range.
Up and over pennell rigs for rays.
Clipped down patternoster pennell rigs for cod.

Hook size depending on bait size.
Hook type depending on species and ground.
I've got quite a few of those rigs made up & ready to go - the only 2 I haven't looked into yet is Loop & Wishbone rigs. Must try harder!

I usually use a one hook clip down or a pulley one one rod with a one up,one down on the other rod

How do people like their wishbones? I fix mine in the centre but I know a lot of people have them free running

I fish sandy beaches with very little snags, petternoyster type or running ledger.

The majority of times i use a fixed pat pennel distance rig about 2 . 1/2 foot long . Ive altered this rig over the years but the main objective is it does not tangle and is as a bolt rig which hooks the fish. I do use other rigs as well for various situations . A lot of folks like the pulley rig for its simplicity of tying but after losing three big smooth hounds on the trot i dont use the rig any more From a personal point of view i think quality of bait is more important than rigs and how its presented .

Last edited:
The majority of times i use a fixed pat pennel distance rig about 2 . 1/2 foot long . Ive altered this rig over the years but the main objective is it does not tangle and is as a bolt rig which hooks the fish. I do use other rigs as well for various situations . A lot of folks like the pulley rig for its simplicity of tying but after losing three big smooth hounds on the trot i dont use the rig any more
Watched my mate lose so many fish using a pulley, while I was bagging up. He wouldn’t change though and I continually hammered him.

Watched my mate lose so many fish using a pulley, while I was bagging up. He wouldn’t change though and I continually hammered him.
I fished a match at Abbotsbury many moons back, when Pulley rigs seemed to be the new thing. A lot of the lads fishing, me included were using pulleys and whilst we did catch, the top 3 people in the match were using fixed paternoster and had far more fish. (Mostly dogs). I had a chat with the winner in the car park and he explained to me that there’s not enough resistance on a pulley whereby the fixed rig resulted in more fish hooking themselves.

Back