• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

The AT Tuna announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dutchman

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
I get AT news letter, latest one bragging about the tuna tagging programme claiming anglers are backing this.

Sent reply that i do not support this and many others i have read on forums do not, only the odd one (really odd case on wsf) supports this.

Said get back to me in 24hrs.

Nothing yet days later.

Useless ORG non representation of the majority of anglers.

It`s all a bit misleading to say the least. AT involvement is merely to back the idea. One particular sportfishing club (of which I`m a member) has pushed for this. Sadly I see folk on WSF saying how great as we can now get fishing this local rather than travelling Another said he would take extra weekends off to fish. Unless they are already part of the clique then I`m afraid they will get some serious let downs. This is not a phone the skipper and book a place. A lot more complicated and expensive and will be the reserve mainly of members of the club and friends along with appointed and approved skippers. The scientific research is total whitewash. I was privvy to the e mails at the beginning, 4-5 years back and the scientific "research" is a blind for an RSA tuna fishery, nothing more and nothing less. I myself refused point blank to get involved from the beginning and am still against it, they will wipe out stocks. AT merely rubber stamped the clubs progress, nothing more.

If it was indeed for scientific research then leave anglers out and let the scientists get on with it.

If part of the scheme. Some on wsf thought they could phone any skipper who would take them out.
how do you prove your an experienced angler.

how do you prove your an experienced angler.

Not a clue, supposed to have training as are the skippers. Then at the boat in under half hour so 130 gear in chair or rod holder (not angling in a rod holder). No stand up no popping just straight commercial fishing. Supposed to be an observer on some of the trips but it will all fall into simple angling or else a lot will be disapointed they can`t do their own thing.

Last edited:
I went to several meetings when talks were given by representatives of a proposed AT and they had very cleverly roped in the old ACA (Anglers Co-operative Association) who used to be an anti-pollution organisation based in Ledbury. The speakers were saying that the ACA were going to be the legal arm of the new AT, who were going to be the 'governing body' of angling. Even back then, in around 2005 I think it was, I was asking questions about how they could declare themselves as the governing body, but unfortunately not enough people objected.

Now we have the ludicrous situation where the AT claim credit for everything, achieve absolutely nothing and yet use government provided funds to employ themselves on lucrative salaries!

I went to several meetings when talks were given by representatives of a proposed AT and they had very cleverly roped in the old ACA (Anglers Co-operative Association) who used to be an anti-pollution organisation based in Ledbury. The speakers were saying that the ACA were going to be the legal arm of the new AT, who were going to be the 'governing body' of angling. Even back then, in around 2005 I think it was, I was asking questions about how they could declare themselves as the governing body, but unfortunately not enough people objected.

Now we have the ludicrous situation where the AT claim credit for everything, achieve absolutely nothing and yet use government provided funds to employ themselves on lucrative salaries!
Yep, they’re full of shite. Same as with lockdown fishing - the AT was full of ‘ooh look what the AT had done for you so you can go fishing’.
Utter bollix, all they did was parrot the government guidelines and claim credit for it, they may as well have claimed the credit for allowing surfing as well, they did about as much for that.
And even then the result was confusing, with conflicting advice, five mile radius etc (government said stay in your town), the AT said no night fishing when nothing was said anywhere about that, only don’t stay out overnight.
At the very best they kept anglers informed to an extent, which would have been fine if they’d said that from the start and not tried to make it sound as if every development was their doing.

Rant over, lol.

Oh, and I don’t agree with a BFT fishery unless there was a strict fish limit (maybe one per person per season) and every fish caught to be killed quickly, put on ice and sold via an approved licensed outlet on shore.
Angler to get a percentage after tax, and/or take a limited quantity of flesh, the skipper could get a commission.
I’m not convinced those kind of fish survive capture very well, C&R just seems misguided to me.
Mind you, I’m not too keen on shark fishing either.

Yep, they’re full of shite. Same as with lockdown fishing - the AT was full of ‘ooh look what the AT had done for you so you can go fishing’.
Utter bollix, all they did was parrot the government guidelines and claim credit for it, they may as well have claimed the credit for allowing surfing as well, they did about as much for that.
And even then the result was confusing, with conflicting advice, five mile radius etc (government said stay in your town), the AT said no night fishing when nothing was said anywhere about that, only don’t stay out overnight.
At the very best they kept anglers informed to an extent, which would have been fine if they’d said that from the start and not tried to make it sound as if every development was their doing.

Rant over, lol.

Oh, and I don’t agree with a BFT fishery unless there was a strict fish limit (maybe one per person per season) and every fish caught to be killed quickly, put on ice and sold via an approved licensed outlet on shore.
Angler to get a percentage after tax, and/or take a limited quantity of flesh, the skipper could get a commission.
I’m not convinced those kind of fish survive capture very well, C&R just seems misguided to me.
Mind you, I’m not too keen on shark fishing either.
Getting a bit scary now! That’s the second post of yours in two days that I completely agree with! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back