• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

The AT Tuna announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't conserve a species by sticking a big hook in it's gob and fighting it to exhaustion.
But that can be said for every fish we catch, who knows the survival rate of the everyday fish?

But that can be said for every fish we catch, who knows the survival rate of the everyday fish?
I am not trying to conserve a bass when i go fishing for the pot, if that were the case i would not fish for them and the thread is all about Tuna.

IMO i would rather not even try targeting that species, let alone catching and tagging them and putting them through that stress.

But if you feel that it is ok for you to do that, i am not going to change your mind, am i!
Good job we weren’t counting on you to make up the numbers then. Phew

I am not trying to conserve a bass when i go fishing for the pot, if that were the case i would not fish for them and the thread is all about Tuna.
Do you only fish for the table then? How do you avoid fish that you aren’t going to eat?

Do you only fish for the table then? How do you avoid fish that you aren’t going to eat?
Just remind me, how are you conserving the tuna by putting it through all that stress and not knowing the survival rates just to tag it?

Just remind me, how are you conserving the tuna by putting it through all that stress and not knowing the survival rates just to tag it?
I’m not fishing for them myself, but I think the general idea is that by tagging they gather data and put it all into a machine that then puts out a ven diagram or something, same as they do with sharks. This data gives a better understanding of the fish’s range, population and longevity. Maybe ??

I think if a tagged fish sinks to the bottom and doesn’t move its dead. So by tagging you can find out how well they survive. I’m pretty sure we won’t be the first to do it so, I’m confident they will be ok and survive, otherwise it wouldn’t be allowed.

I think if a tagged fish sinks to the bottom and doesn’t move its dead. So by tagging you can find out how well they survive. I’m pretty sure we won’t be the first to do it so, I’m confident they will be ok and survive, otherwise it wouldn’t be allowed.
I was told that the tags float and have a homing device on them that motors them back to the defra office?

I’m not fishing for them myself, but I think the general idea is that by tagging they gather data and put it all into a machine that then puts out a ven diagram or something, same as they do with sharks. This data gives a better understanding of the fish’s range, population and longevity. Maybe ??
"Maybe"

Well that confirm all then :LOL::LOL:

The accepted mortality rate is 5%. So one in about twenty fish will die. Any data collected will end up in the hands of the commercials both UK boats and more worrying non UK boats that ha\/e tuna quotas

The accepted mortality rate is 5%. So one in about twenty fish will die. Any data collected will end up in the hands of the commercials both UK boats and more worrying non UK boats that ha\/e tuna quotas
I would think that any commercial boats that intended to target them already have a lot better idea about them than the AT.

I would think that any commercial boats that intended to target them already have a lot better idea about them than the AT
It's nothing to with the AT It's an extension of the Thunnus Project and at the moment the mo\/ement of these fish is an unknown

I would think initially he is saying that by killing 5per cent, that is not conserving the species, unless you can confirm that it is!
Well, take 5% away from 100% leaves 95% alive. I don’t see that as decimating the species. Any lose is sad, but even pin whiting or pout die needlessly if they don’t go back well. Are they less important to the chain and eco system?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back