• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Trout Fishing

Well I blanked today at Blagdon, was v.cold this morning. Then dead calm and sun shining most of the day. wind picked up in the afternoon but I couldn't buy a bite.

No other bank anglers appeared to be catchingz I saw 2 fish caught by boats in the afternoon and that was it. Normally I see trout cruising, but saw none today. Did see a few jack pike though, so not completely devoid of fish life around me!

Hope your session goes better mate
Unlucky Bacon, what flies did you use? I will be using buzzers, gold head damsels at various depths. As the water is still fairly cold it will be a very slow retrieve, hopefully find one of those 5-6lb Icelandic grayling as well as rainbows and brown trout.

Black buzzers, size 10s, buzzers with breathers at the front size 12, Shiphams buzzers, Diawl Bach nymphs, and threw out a gold headed damsel too. No such luck!

Maybe I should changed out to an intermediate line to get the flies deeper with a booby on the point to keep the flies off the bottom (don't have any proper sinkers)?

Had a very pleasant day at Albury, Surrey yesterday, the sun was warm but chilly under the trees and in the shade. The water was gin clear so walked the margins after setting up with a hares ear size 12 fly and a 12ft. 5lb leader, all the fish seemed to be cruising about 3-4ft deep picking up emergers and a rising to the surface for a few flies. Changed my fly to a hawthorn dry fly and cast it about 25ft and letting it float with the breeze. The trout rose and had a look then retreated back down to cruising level. Ok me thinks, testing little fickle things so changed back to a gold head hares ear, degreased the leader. Had loads of follows but no takes, had a cup of coffee and went through the fly boxes and decided on a damsel nymph with small green bead eyes. Second cast the trout hit it like a steam train and then went biserk charging, deep then jumping. With rod well bent over played the fish for about 5 mins and landed a full finned 3lber. Lovely quality and fought like a good one. Decided that was a keeper and dispatched it for dinner.
Had loads of follows and takes although they took short so missed the hook up. Managed 2 more trout around the 2lb.12oz and again went like trains and a really good fight.
Decided to call it a day as arm was aching and very pleased with the stalking method and general middle of the water fishing. Traffic was terrible going on the A25 with all the road works, so went home through the back lanes half the time it took from the main roads.

Thanks it was a very pleasant day.

Thanks Thrash, it was a nice pleasant day.

Bit too late now for them to be feeding on tadpoles in the margins???? The frogs and toads spawned way back here! I might do a bit on a river here this year once I've got a licence.

Bit too late now for them to be feeding on tadpoles in the margins???? The frogs and toads spawned way back here! I might do a bit on a river here this year once I've got a licence.
I'\/e got some little black jigs about size 8 and weighing about the same as swan shot and dressed with black maribou tails. absolute killer lures for early season trout

Around our way, they are feeding on nymphs, buzzers etc, when the sun warms the water they are feeding on hatches on the surface. The good thing about renewing the rod license it now lasts a full 12 months and covers 2 rods, fresh water and non migratory trout.

I'\/e got some little black jigs about size 8 and weighing about the same as swan shot and dressed with black maribou tails. absolute killer lures for early season trout
A bit of an overkill around our way, the biggest hook size is a 10 (winter) and can down to size 16 for various fly tying depending on the time of year. For sea trout (sewin) and salmon we use larger flies Teal blue and silver, thunder & lightning etc.

Around our way, they are feeding on nymphs, buzzers etc, when the sun warms the water they are feeding on hatches on the surface. The good thing about renewing the rod license it now lasts a full 12 months and covers 2 rods, fresh water and non migratory trout.
Yes I only want one for wild brown trout. Only trouble is finding out who owns the river. If I have a licence then all they can do is tell me to piss off.

A bit of an overkill around our way, the biggest hook size is a 10 (winter) and can down to size 16 for various fly tying depending on the time of year.
It's got to ha\/e a decent gape on it because the lead head is pretty large, about the size of a small pea. Thet're not intended for use with a fly rod. I'll regularly use a size 10 for upstream worming all summer . I only fish ri\/ers though so no winter fishing for me

It's got to ha\/e a decent gape on it because the lead head is pretty large, about the size of a small pea. Thet're not intended for use with a fly rod. I'll regularly use a size 10 for upstream worming all summer . I only fish ri\/ers though so no winter fishing for me
Worms??????. You savage! Stocked rainbows like luncheon meat! Oops!

Stocked rainbows like bit of bread as well e\/en at night although I ha\/e not pond fished for many years. I can't be doing with being chased any more
Lol same here,miss the good old days though!!! Last time I went mooching I scared the foxes off with my swearing,"feking holes, feking cow shyte" lol I went to sleep in the truck whilst my mates shot a couple! My legs give me gyp so even walking over rough terrain is hard.

Our trout lakes etc are fly fishing only membership, card reader on gates in/out stops rustlers and undesirables.

Our trout lakes etc are fly fishing only membership, card reader on gates in/out stops rustlers and undesirables.
Lol modern technology is a bugger,trial cams are a good deterent!

Lol modern technology is a bugger,trial cams are a good deterent!
Trail cams are great for wildlife and undesirables/poachers etc. I am sure they have some around where I generally trout fish. Also have web cams for security where I live, any one trying to break in it automatically alerts my mobile so I can break out the shotgun.

Well I blanked today at Blagdon, was v.cold this morning. Then dead calm and sun shining most of the day. wind picked up in the afternoon but I couldn't buy a bite.

No other bank anglers appeared to be catchingz I saw 2 fish caught by boats in the afternoon and that was it. Normally I see trout cruising, but saw none today. Did see a few jack pike though, so not completely devoid of fish life around me!

Hope your session goes better mate
Feature on Blagdon centre pages this week's Angling Times, Bacon! I had a brown and a rainbow from Burrator bear Plymouth two days ago. PH

Back