• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Unjustified expense or worth every penny?

Kine262

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
I need to confess before going any further that I am a tackle tart! Anything shiny or that looks like a well engineered bit of kit has me drooling at the mouth and reaching for my wallet but if I am honest, I have more fishing gear than a football team could use at any one time, but that hasn't stopped me from recently considering a new pair of rods for the beach. Unfortunately, due to a disability and the fact that the nearest bit of sea is just over a hundred miles away, I am only going to be using my beach rods once or twice a month and maybe a bit more at holiday time.

So, my question is, will a couple of mid range (£150ish) beach rods be more than good enough or can a couple of top of the range bits of shiny carbon be justified for an occasional angler?

It depends on where you will be fishing and what sort of weights etc you will be using.

the nearest bit of sea is just over a hundred miles away,
Where's that then.Can't find anywhere that is over 100 miles from the sea.Coton in the Elms is listed as the furthest from the sea,70 miles.Although Meriden Warks.is listed as 75 miles.

Last edited:
So, my question is, will a couple of mid range (£150ish) beach rods be more than good enough or can a couple of top of the range bits of shiny carbon be justified for an occasional angler?
Whatever ticks your box mate.If you think it's justified go for it.You are talking about using them about 30 times a year maybe more.Lucky if I use mine 10 times a year.That's what I call occasional. ?

It depends on where you will be fishing and what sort of weights etc you will be using.
He's not asking for recommendations on which rod to buy,only would it be justified to spend a fortune on 2 top of the range rods which would only be used occasionally.

I need to confess before going any further that I am a tackle tart! Anything shiny or that looks like a well engineered bit of kit has me drooling at the mouth and reaching for my wallet but if I am honest, I have more fishing gear than a football team could use at any one time, but that hasn't stopped me from recently considering a new pair of rods for the beach. Unfortunately, due to a disability and the fact that the nearest bit of sea is just over a hundred miles away, I am only going to be using my beach rods once or twice a month and maybe a bit more at holiday time.

Maybe ask your wife. I bet she'd know

It's more than justified if there going to be British made rods ,just imagine them above the mantle piece all shiny and glittery ,go for it I say

The jump between £150 rods (Daiwa Sandstorm for example) and £500 rods (century/zziplex etc) does not result in a 3X better rod.
For your extra dough you get UK manufactured blanks, potentially higher spec fittings (Titanium guides for example), fancier whippings/finishing options, you might also get a blank that is manufactured using more expensive manufacturing processes, i.e Century autoclave cure their blanks, which results in blanks with fewer voids and lower resin content/Higher Vf (lighter). You might also get access to blanks made from lighter/stiffer (higher modulus materials) epoxy pre pregs.

Though don't be fooled into thinking stiffer, higher modulus materials are always better, you need the intermediate/low modulus materials to increase toughness and durability of the blanks, they also help tailor the rods action to one that is usable for the intended application, i.e fast action, through action etc. A mix is ideal for a durable high performing rod.

So it depends how often you will go and how much you like tasty bits of kit.

Where's that then.Can't find anywhere that is over 100 miles from the sea.Coton in the Elms is listed as the furthest from the sea,70 miles.Although Meriden Warks.is listed as 75 miles.
I live about 5 miles away from Meriden, but although it might be listed as 75 miles from the sea, I think that must be as the crow flies, as my nearest venue is probably Severn Beach, which is 101 miles. (I’ve driven it several times)

Hiya Kine,
As @bacon has already mentioned the Sandstorms as an example (around £150) & the fact that a £500 rod is'nt 3 times better i have to agree-
I was looking for a new pair of rods last Summer but being on a limited budget had a few options-buy 2nd hand, sell a couple of my rods to add to the funds for the new rods or lower my sights a bit.
Being a closet tackle tart myself ☺☺☺ i really wanted new. I saw John Holdens video review of the new model Sandstorms & managed to have a waggle of one in a tackle shop. Have to say i was quite impressed, so much so that i decided if they're good enough for JH they're good enough for me so i bought a pair of the 14' 2" multiplier models.
Imho they're a bloody decent rod for mid to long distance fishing with a really nice fishing tip. The only initial drawback was the bright yellow colour scheme but have to say it's kinda grown on me now & they certainly stand out among a crowd so too speak.
Best of all a i had a cracking pair of good quality new rods for £316.00 delivered.
Rick?

Hiya Kine,
As @bacon has already mentioned the Sandstorms as an example (around £150) & the fact that a £500 rod is'nt 3 times better i have to agree-
I was looking for a new pair of rods last Summer but being on a limited budget had a few options-buy 2nd hand, sell a couple of my rods to add to the funds for the new rods or lower my sights a bit.
Being a closet tackle tart myself ☺☺☺ i really wanted new. I saw John Holdens video review of the new model Sandstorms & managed to have a waggle of one in a tackle shop. Have to say i was quite impressed, so much so that i decided if they're good enough for JH they're good enough for me so i bought a pair of the 14' 2" multiplier models.
Imho they're a bloody decent rod for mid to long distance fishing with a really nice fishing tip. The only initial drawback was the bright yellow colour scheme but have to say it's kinda grown on me now & they certainly stand out among a crowd so too speak.
Best of all a i had a cracking pair of good quality new rods for £316.00 delivered.
Rick?
Sorry Rick, I think my initial post wasn't written that well. I already have two of the new Sandstorms, the 14'2" models, and strangely enough, it was because of John Holden that I bought them too. (I had a long chat with him via email and he was really helpful and replied multiple times with tips about which model and length) Although I really like the Sandstorms, I think lockdown has finally driven me mad though, as I have been looking at (and sort of considering) buying a couple of Century Fireblades.

I posted this thread more out of the hope that someone would reply saying that it just wasn't worth it and to stick with the reasonably priced rods, then I could put the crazy idea out of my head.

On a different point, John Holden told me to buy the 14'2" rods and then if I felt they were a bit long to just hacksaw a bit off the butt end to make them shorter! (He said that he does that all the time!) Bloke is a legend though, despite his vandalistic tendencies! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Will

I posted this thread more out of the hope that someone would reply saying that it just wasn't worth it
OK.If you've got the Sandstorms stick with what you have.Why blow £600-£900 on rods that might not suit you.Tackle Tart or not.

Back