• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Why do you fish?

fiveyardcast

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
Simple question, but my guess is we do it for different reasons: maybe to get out the house/ out of the way, maybe youre chasing a PB, maybe you like the fresh air or the social side. Maybe youre testing new gear or species hunting. It might be your business, maybe chartering or guiding. (Experience tells me it might be best if you dont admit to fishing for the local restaurant though ?).

For me, ever since I caught my first sea fish - a tiny red gurnard off Eastbourne pier - it's been about the unknown, and nowadays I find myself trying to find as many species as possible around a calendar year, whether it's with super-light lures or the big rods. I literally fish hook sizes from 22s to 10/0s.

Just trying to make some fishing related chat. Be good to know what drives you to get out there..

Hi mate, that's a good one.

For me it's s bit of everything. Love the forum side of fishing to share our experiences, but because I work in the big smoke, the feeling of being free on the beach, fresh air, is one of my biggest drives for fishing.

When I first started, I would get £10 of rag, on the way home, dinner down the hatch and over TQ. If i missed the shop, go though the bins and you will find rag, later in the evening as it was the thing to do, other gent that were packing up would donate their left over rag. I used to count how many pout or whiting I would catch and dream of Ray and hounds. But that's all I knew.

Four later, I am targeting fish, chasing a PB, which on the bass is hard to find the big girls over 86cm and mullet over 64 cms, but adding different ways to catch fish , has progressed my drive for fishing , form lures to the fly rod.

Main fish I go for is bass and mullet, but still have the go for other species, when the hounds are in , my partner and I love long sessions, taking everything for a 24 hour or longer session. Those have been our best times, full English breakfast on the beach.

It started with catching sticklebacks out the beck which the chemical works discharged into in the early 70’s.(how they survived is still a wonder!?)
First sea fished at Hartlepool aged 8 and just never stopped?
I find I target species more nowadays rather than just chuck a bait out and hope for the best.
Fishing. If ya get it.Ya get it?

Just love chilling out on the beach Arfter a hard week on site main reason started fishing about 7 yrs ago and got the bug you to fish with my building mentor and we use to bigger off early on a Friday to fish fished with a good few peeps when I started but they slowly got other hobbies or other excuses so I just kept going but started to relize wasn’t getting any more out of it so joined a local club and started getting in to match’s started fishing with a very good angler there and cause I don’t mind a hike do loads of yomping with him on chisel and learnt quite a bit from him and a guy who’s a very good match angler become obsessd with sole last year arfter catching my first had a few this year aswell so improving all the time but still need to get better distance makes a difference on chisel and catch a double figure fish preferably from one of the local east Devon beach’s cause they don’t come along that much closer was 9 . 8 eel I’ll get there in the end but just love fishing the not knowing wot I might catch drives me but I do catch aloooooot of dogs ?????

Just love chilling out on the beach Arfter a hard week on site main reason started fishing about 7 yrs ago and got the bug you to fish with my building mentor and we use to bigger off early on a Friday to fish fished with a good few peeps when I started but they slowly got other hobbies or other excuses so I just kept going but started to relize wasn’t getting any more out of it so joined a local club and started getting in to match’s started fishing with a very good angler there and cause I don’t mind a hike do loads of yomping with him on chisel and learnt quite a bit from him and a guy who’s a very good match angler become obsessd with sole last year arfter catching my first had a few this year aswell so improving all the time but still need to get better distance makes a difference on chisel and catch a double figure fish preferably from one of the local east Devon beach’s cause they don’t come along that much closer was 9 . 8 eel I’ll get there in the end but just love fishing the not knowing wot I might catch drives me but I do catch aloooooot of dogs ?????
Brilliant, Tat. You're near me. I hope we can have a fish before long ?

My best mate had a boat, 20 miles East of here where I grew up, and that got me into fishing. Used to get out twice a week if we could. Pollack, Plaice & Mackerel. Also used to bait fish from the shore for Bass occasionally but I never had much luck. Lately, I've been trying to get back into some shore fishing, as I don't have access to a boat! Invested in some new gear via mail order, and got shafted into hospital 2 days before my Conti rod arrived! Not been well since so don't get out much, especially since Covid19 also stuck a spanner in the works.

Fishing for me means a chance to get back to my roots near the Ocean, peace & quiet, occasional company with like minded folk, the unknown of what you are going to catch, and I love to fish to eat. Love fish as a food, and there is nothing better than some fresh pan fried Mackerel with home made Bread & butter!

My best mate had a boat, 20 miles East of here where I grew up, and that got me into fishing. Used to get out twice a week if we could. Pollack, Plaice & Mackerel. Also used to bait fish from the shore for Bass occasionally but I never had much luck. Lately, I've been trying to get back into some shore fishing, as I don't have access to a boat! Invested in some new gear via mail order, and got shafted into hospital 2 days before my Conti rod arrived! Not been well since so don't get out much, especially since Covid19 also stuck a spanner in the works.

Fishing for me means a chance to get back to my roots near the Ocean, peace & quiet, occasional company with like minded folk, the unknown of what you are going to catch, and I love to fish to eat. Love fish as a food, and there is nothing better than some fresh pan fried Mackerel with home made Bread & butter!
What time is tea? mouth is watering with the very thought of fresh fish and home made bread and butter. Lol

What time is tea? mouth is watering with the very thought of fresh fish and home made bread and butter. Lol
Wifey has suggested Fish & Chips for tea, but I won't be able to catch them today - it will be something retrieved from the freezer!

For me, having just returned from yet another chesil blank, it must be some form of self flagellation. With the added bonus of near bankruptcy buying the sticks to beat myself with.....
anyway got a handful of worm left roll on Monday evening ?

I really can't understand why I fish. Since I saw a bream caught in a pond near Tenterden, around summer 1946, I've been hooked.
Living in the post-war desolation of South London I would spend term time dreaming of the next school holiday when I could stay at my grandparents farm on the edge of Romney Marsh.
I would spend almost every day fishing a little dyke interestingly called, Tenterden Sewer. Although I didn't know that at the time.
I last fished it in 1965 with the new Memsahib, but only really sea fish for the pot these days. Although my angling days are almost over now.

I dont like hurting any creature I am not going to kill and eat. But it was not always so.

Last edited:
Back