• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South Wales 19/7/2023 , port talbot

geejayy

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
trip 11 , its been a while , work , apathy and hospital appointments have got in the way.

19/7/2023, sker beach midday till about 7pm.

20230719_133516[1] by gordon underwood, on Flickr

weather, dry , broken cloud, fairly strong wind in our face which made casting not as good as id of liked

tides- high water was for about 8pm took no notice of moon cycle ian organised this one.

sea state ,- coloured, moderate surf running not much weed. ( im not used to fishing surf beaches, the constant walk bach as tide floods is irritateing, cant fall asleep ;-( )

baits,- frozen prawn with a hint of squid & sandeel. hounds were the target.

rigs,- pullys.

i was travelling super light as had been warned that it was a fair walk to the mark. we fished one rod each with a shared tripod and i crammed the rest of my kit into my baitbag two reels, spare lines, 6 leads loose hooks n swivel & awallet of pullys. with next to no kit it didnt feel like i was going fishing.
there were few other anglers and beach users there, we set up left of the reef, for me it was brought softer rod than usual 9 tdxs129) as was playing with braid mainline loaded onto a fixed spool. hence bringing another reel . distance cast was dissapointing but no one does well into a headwind. as the tide floods the constant walk back up the beach leaves you fishing at long range and i found bite detection not so easy .

other than the stiff breeze howling in my new hearing aids it was a peaceful quiet session people watching others on the beach about an hour into the flood without a sniff i thought the hounds might not be here so flung out a double sandeel.

shortly afterwards ians cobra knocks and he is into a fish that gives the usual hound runarround in the surf before beaching a nice chunky fish .
FB_IMG_1689855097781[1] by gordon underwood, on Flickr

sometime later he is in again landing a simalar sized specimen leaving me wondering why im not getting knocks or hookups. while ian is 2-0 up.

FB_IMG_1689854966963[1] by gordon underwood, on Flickr

after missing a couple of knocks i lose confidence in my circle hooks and go back to a J , eventually landing a couple to even the scores with ian before knocking off just before hi tide to go find some beer n steak n chips.
fish pic's curtesy of ian coz my phone is a heap o crap :-(

trip 11 , its been a while , work , apathy and hospital appointments have got in the way.

19/7/2023, sker beach midday till about 7pm.

20230719_133516[1] by gordon underwood, on Flickr

weather, dry , broken cloud, fairly strong wind in our face which made casting not as good as id of liked

tides- high water was for about 8pm took no notice of moon cycle ian organised this one.

sea state ,- coloured, moderate surf running not much weed. ( im not used to fishing surf beaches, the constant walk bach as tide floods is irritateing, cant fall asleep ;-( )

baits,- frozen prawn with a hint of squid & sandeel. hounds were the target.

rigs,- pullys.

i was travelling super light as had been warned that it was a fair walk to the mark. we fished one rod each with a shared tripod and i crammed the rest of my kit into my baitbag two reels, spare lines, 6 leads loose hooks n swivel & awallet of pullys. with next to no kit it didnt feel like i was going fishing.
there were few other anglers and beach users there, we set up left of the reef, for me it was brought softer rod than usual 9 tdxs129) as was playing with braid mainline loaded onto a fixed spool. hence bringing another reel . distance cast was dissapointing but no one does well into a headwind. as the tide floods the constant walk back up the beach leaves you fishing at long range and i found bite detection not so easy .

other than the stiff breeze howling in my new hearing aids it was a peaceful quiet session people watching others on the beach about an hour into the flood without a sniff i thought the hounds might not be here so flung out a double sandeel.

shortly afterwards ians cobra knocks and he is into a fish that gives the usual hound runarround in the surf before beaching a nice chunky fish .
FB_IMG_1689855097781[1] by gordon underwood, on Flickr

sometime later he is in again landing a simalar sized specimen leaving me wondering why im not getting knocks or hookups. while ian is 2-0 up.

FB_IMG_1689854966963[1] by gordon underwood, on Flickr

after missing a couple of knocks i lose confidence in my circle hooks and go back to a J , eventually landing a couple to even the scores with ian before knocking off just before hi tide to go find some beer n steak n chips.
fish pic's curtesy of ian coz my phone is a heap o crap :-(
Great report and pictures some nice fish there 👍

Looks windy ! Well done

Back