• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Review 2 year review, KANJI saltwater spin

Fedstar

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Hello chaps.

Kanji 10ft/3m, 90g salt spinning rod.

Bought this rod over two years ago, i needed a rod for getting the spinners out a distance and was shown this rod in question.
Total price for the rod was around a hundred and ten pounds.

First couple of trips out the rod felt ok-ish. It was still new and had a certain stiffness which was not stiff but stiffer than it is now.
As the spinning trips built up, i grew to really not like this rod. Small 1.5lb Pollock seem to tax the rod beyond its use.
I must admit i was in total denial about the rod being not what i wanted or needed oh for what? 18months :giggle:
The rod finish is i must say excellent but the fittings and finish are what i think i paided the asking price for (Fugi and gloss paint),
the rod is a pig with lipstick, let me explain.

If a rod comes with a bad reelseat? i can change it for a good one.
If the rod eyes are brittle? i change the eyes.
If the paint wears i dont care.
But if the blank is a floppy noddle stick, i can do nothing to change that.
Like i say the rod is gutless.
So the pig is the blank and the lipstick the nice fittings.

I have used carp rods to float fish at night and at times have caught up to 5.5lb Pollock on carp rods. Carp rods bend from top to bottom but, when the carp rod is bent beyond a certain point the power in them is a rather pleasant suprise.
When i tried the same style of floatfishing with the Kanji, nope! it flat out refuses to not make a meal of reeling in small fish.
To be fair its un-fair to even compare the Kanji to a Carp rod. Carp rods are way way better(y)

My most liked rod before the Kanji was a 8ft? Bushwacker, nice little rod that never gave up even with the odd 6/7 lb Pollock on it,
yes it bent like a mo-fo but did not collapse.
It got and still is, getting the fish on the shore with a10th of the effort required by the Kanji.
As ye do i gave the Bushwacker to Darren, who by the way everytime he see me produce the Kanji goes off on one about all the aspects or therein lack of aspects the Kanji cannot perform, he takes slabbering offa me, so its only fair i have to take it back in return lol.

So...;) i just recieved a SG4 Shore Game ( seatrout lol) 9ft 20-60g two piece spinning rod.
Cost 70 quid all in from Uttings.

I gave the rod a wiggle in the back garden today and its not the Kanji😘,
only time will tell with the SG4 but i will get back to ye in a couple of years.
If your eyeing up a Kanji? poke yerself in the eye with a pencil and move on lol
In my world its not worth a quarter of the money i paided.

If you own a Kanji fishing Rod and disagree with what i have said above?
leave a comment below.
( what am i like eh! cringe much?):love:

Mark..

ps, this seems more like a rant, but i swear till ye, its not...
;)

Last edited:
TBH, carp rods can be amazing beasts and lots of ‘spinning’ rods are not up to par. The Bushwacker was ahead of its time and I’m amazed you parted with it. I’ve yet to find my ultimate lure rod for pollock, they really do need an amazing backbone and recover quickly.
I’ve never heard of the rod in question, but it sounds like an old fashioned salmon rod.

TBH, carp rods can be amazing beasts and lots of ‘spinning’ rods are not up to par. The Bushwacker was ahead of its time and I’m amazed you parted with it. I’ve yet to find my ultimate lure rod for pollock, they really do need an amazing backbone and recover quickly.
I’ve never heard of the rod in question, but it sounds like an old fashioned salmon rod.

Aye Wally mate,
only thing i found when spinning with Carp rods is they sap my strength awful quick, the action is not designed to be cast and retrieved repeatedly, but they are not to be sniffed at Carp rods, maybe its just me getting old and weak. But hold on! i was young then? ah i dont know anymore lol
Best Pollock spinning rod is an 11ft ABU Enticer lol used one for years i did and it was rated to cast 5oz for frig sake:LOL:

I gave the bushwacker to my nephew, so at least i can still see it on the weekends hehe.
The Bushwacker knows i am its real daddy.

Mark...(y)

Last edited:
Back