• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South Coast A first visit to cogden, 27/08

Emmcee75

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
As the title suggests I visited cogden for the first time yesterday. Seen enough reports lately of fish coming out through the day so thought why not.
I've read about the clay beds in reports on here and other social media but had no idea where they were so I just walked east until I'd had enough. A fella had just packed up and said he'd been there since first light and had caught 2 fish, "very slow" were his words, typical I thought. I carried on another 100m or so and dumped the gear down. 1 rod with a bagnall bar rig size 1/0 hook with plaice beads and 2nd rod a 2 hook clipped down size 2's with no blind. Cast out about an hour before low. My background is carp fishing and one thing I did was I always felt the lead down and its a habit I still do in sea fishing. So bar rod out and the lead went down as I'd expext it on a sandy bottom. 2nd rod and as the lead hit the bottom the rod tip gave a rattle I've seen many times on my carp lakes, that's clay I thought. 20 mins in and about to wind it in for a bait change and I get a bite and a small plaice slides up the bank. In the next hour that rod produced 2 more plaice and the bar rig had 1 plaice, all coming in the half hour before low and an hour up. It went very quite then. I picked off another one 2hrs up and my next bite came 4hrs up. As it neared the evening high I put out a ray bait which was having bites but only from small fish. I fished an hour back down before packing up. I was more than happy and will definitely return later in September for some hopefully bigger plaice.
A few pics of the biggest 3.
Tight lines.Screenshot_20220828-065247_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20220828-065259_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220828-065311_Gallery.jpg

Nice report & photos EmmCee - well done on the Plaice! ????

Nice catches….how was your first experience of getting back up cardiac hill ?
I must admit i did keep thinking the car park looked a long way away as i started the walk back and all up hill but now having fished the main areas of chesil I'd rather the walk up "cardiac hill" than the climb up the shingle bank after a session at Ferrybridge ?.

Back