• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South East A frosty dawn - Pett Level 21/11/21

ouchthathurt

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Yesterday I had to go to the tackle shop to pick up some new coasters for my rods, while I was there, it would have been rude if I didn’t get some bait too… unfortunately the fresh lug order wasn’t quite met by the diggers as they had been having a difficult time of it, so I got 3 wraps of frozen blacks to fill my hooks. The alarm was set for 0445hrs and I was on the beach for 0600hrs. The new coasters were quickly fitted and the Diawa 7HT multis were bolted securely to the Leeda Icon elite match rods. Both rods were rigged with 2 hook clipped down rigs baited with frozen lugworm and I waded out into the flat millpond like sea, and whacked both rods out as far as I could chuck them. Low tide was scheduled for 0630hrs to I would catch the last half hour of the ebb and the first few hours of the flood. Due to the lack of surf and flow, 4oz leads were ample to hold bottom. It was still dark but the sun was beginning to peak through the clouds. CC2C575B-6E28-441D-AD22-AE2BA3C66DB1.jpegBoth tips were sitting nicely in the tide, but the wind coming off the land had a real bite to it which meant I needed my extra jumpers and wind proof jacket to keep warm, including my old army issued artic furry hat! It almost felt like I should have been cod fishing in January! The bites started almost immediately, with rattles to both tips. I seemed to have found a shoal of whiting.B59C297B-F407-4E90-92F6-E3CAA70799FE.jpegDD5D325F-38CE-415C-B2A0-9B7A6D67C049.jpegafter a couple of casts and double shots of these lil blighters, the bites stopped as quickly as they started. With the sun now up, the shoals had disappeared back into deeper water out of range, so I took that as a sign it was time to head home. 9014226F-41B3-48BA-BE39-50CEAC2A17DA.jpegI think that next session, I need to head a mile or two down the shore towards winchelsea where there is deeper water closer in, but will the mark produce another decent bass or have they too, taken the chill and calm conditions as a sign to vacate? Surf, swell and time will tell!

Good try Ouchy! Perhaps better in the darkness then?

Although it’s getting a bit chilly, I’d bet the sea temps are still pretty high so I’d expect the bass to be around for a little while yet?

Good try Ouchy! Perhaps better in the darkness then?

Although it’s getting a bit chilly, I’d bet the sea temps are still pretty high so I’d expect the bass to be around for a little while yet?
I think you’re right mate, we’ve had nothing but calm flat seas recently, we could do with a nice bit of stormy weather to cloud up the water and bring on a decent surf! That will get them going!

Good write up, nice pics and a few fish to boot. Nice one.

Well done on getting out so early and catching a few.

great write up Ouch. ?

Every fishing trip is a learning curve, I say that when it’s a shit session ??

Well done,nice catch mate, good report & piccys ????

10/10 for effort getting up that early Ouchy. ?
Many thanks lads, quite often if I want to get the rods out, I need to go before dawn so I can fit it in around a (usually) busy weekend! Plus working all week narrows the options down somewhat.

Well done ouchy that waters still warm atm like f said they bass might hang on for a bit longer yet bey good sesh tho bud

Back