• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Abandoned fishing equipment in the sea

FrankieG73

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Boat
Been reading about so called 'ghost fishing' where nets and crab pots are abandoned or lost and kill massive amounts of fish, seals and birds over many years in the ocean and is a threat to aquatic ecosystems. Does anyone know if anything is being done by local councils, charities or environmental agency to prevent these nets being dumped and crab pots and cages being abandoned?

i don't think anyone abandons fishing gear it's to expensive. Losses are inevitable unfortunately both for commercials and recreational fishermen. Can't see how the local council can help with that. There are some groups who try and recover lost fishing gear, mainly divers i think.

i don't think anyone abandons fishing gear it's to expensive. Losses are inevitable unfortunately both for commercials and recreational fishermen. Can't see how the local council can help with that. There are some groups who try and recover lost fishing gear, mainly divers i think.

The fishermen collect lost gear and bring it ashore here,also work with local dive teams! But yes gear does get lost unfortunately!
I know someone who was fishing a deep wreck a few weeks back. He had to give up and move off the wreck due to the amount of abandoned gear around the wreck. He did say that he was fishing in over 150 metres of water, and that at that depth, it wouldn't be viable for divers to go down & try to remove it.

Back