• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Advice Abu ambassadeur 6501-C3

Just one last cast

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Recently picked up a few multipliers on fb. Not that I have ever used one, or understood how they work, probably as the majority of the ones I have looked at have been knackered & I have always used fixed spool. The above one however seems a nice size but needs a little more than a bit of a service as the listing stated. Have taken it apart cleaned it and tried to get going many times and beginning to get a grip of how it works & thinking might give this one a go. Kind of a now or never type thing.

I think the level wind had ceased up and the guy turned the handle doing the damage.

Have got schematics off internet but wondered if anyone used & serviced their own one of these & could confirm from my photos what parts I need to try & get in particular & does the position holder snapped off need to be replaced, I may have found some where I can buy the parts?

Also,I realise this is a l/h model, so would be looking to try on a continental rod as think they are rung for both or have a couple of m type rods hanging about. If the rod is used upside down so to speak how does it sit in the rest without falling back around.

I notice it doesn’t hold a huge amount of line, is it big enough for plaice fishing on chesil for example allowing for a few birds nests?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 6E7D0DA5-22F1-4CC2-9647-4631695C4669.jpeg
    6E7D0DA5-22F1-4CC2-9647-4631695C4669.jpeg
    74.8 KB · Views: 8
  • EDA240A1-5E59-4A73-AD75-3CDC1AC2C26B.png
    EDA240A1-5E59-4A73-AD75-3CDC1AC2C26B.png
    222.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 3064FD08-5A94-4477-A8D3-C8A3AFAF7BBC.png
    3064FD08-5A94-4477-A8D3-C8A3AFAF7BBC.png
    186.5 KB · Views: 8
  • D3087721-1D95-4806-925B-924C65FDCD7B.jpeg
    D3087721-1D95-4806-925B-924C65FDCD7B.jpeg
    85.6 KB · Views: 7
Recently picked up a few multipliers on fb. Not that I have ever used one, or understood how they work, probably as the majority of the ones I have looked at have been knackered & I have always used fixed spool. The above one however seems a nice size but needs a little more than a bit of a service as the listing stated. Have taken it apart cleaned it and tried to get going many times and beginning to get a grip of how it works & thinking might give this one a go. Kind of a now or never type thing.

I think the level wind had ceased up and the guy turned the handle doing the damage.

Have got schematics off internet but wondered if anyone used & serviced their own one of these & could confirm from my photos what parts I need to try & get in particular & does the position holder snapped off need to be replaced, I may have found some where I can buy the parts?

Also,I realise this is a l/h model, so would be looking to try on a continental rod as think they are rung for both or have a couple of m type rods hanging about. If the rod is used upside down so to speak how does it sit in the rest without falling back around.

I notice it doesn’t hold a huge amount of line, is it big enough for plaice fishing on chesil for example allowing for a few birds nests?

Thanks in advance.
Send it off the Blackdog tackle (google search) he will give you a price for servicing/repair etc. Other than that continue using your coffee grinders.

OK your post raises a number of issues, first off does that reel have a level wind second what type of conti rod are you proposing you strap it to?
The reel will hold enough line for any beach angling scenario, but you will need a rod that will work with multiplier and some of the conti models do NOT work with multiplier reels very well.
Multipliers are good fun if you can master them but its not a short easy route to instant success its a journey.

Just to point out its spelt Blakdog ie without the c. The owner Russ posts on here occasionally and is a thoroughly good egg.

I'll second that. I've bought a few bits from Russ. Website link in case someones wants a 'Clicky'!

Cheers guys didn’t realise blakdog did servicing & repairs too at what looks like a reasonable price! Hopefully not too much wrong with it and will be able to get it sorted. Apologies my photos were not the best the level wind is in place & now free running.

I am not under any illusion using a multiplier will be easy & I’m expecting some bird’s nests.

As for rods the Contis I was thinking about using were vercelli enygma magmas if not have an old Daiwa tdpk I can try it on.
Thanks

This fella uses a couple of vercellis and multipliers, can't remember the model of rod or reel though, it's an age thing.

Those orange rods may be vercellis but are not fine tipped continental rods like the OPs, he does have an old daiwa which is contemporary to the reel.
If @Just one last cast wants to drop in next to me on chesil in daylight on a bright day I will strip that old reel down and put some old blanking plates in and get him started. I can strip it clean, lube and sort it out in under an hour between casts.

Cheers chesil pete thats very good of you currently catching up on jobs at home etc this month & my kids seem to be at home more than at school these days. but l will hopefully be back out from March onwards. Planning to send the reel off to blakdog in the meantime so I can hit the ground running so to speak but would relish the chance of some guidance from yourself & others that have offered on using it,rigs etc. Got stuck in a rut a bit last year fishing the same spot, using the same rigs & bait every trip & need to break the habit this year so any guidance would be welcome.

Hope that’s okay, Thanks in advance give me a shout when you’re heading to chesil sometime.

Cheers chesil pete thats very good of you currently catching up on jobs at home etc this month & my kids seem to be at home more than at school these days. but l will hopefully be back out from March onwards. Planning to send the reel off to blakdog in the meantime so I can hit the ground running so to speak but would relish the chance of some guidance from yourself & others that have offered on using it,rigs etc. Got stuck in a rut a bit last year fishing the same spot, using the same rigs & bait every trip & need to break the habit this year so any guidance would be welcome.

Hope that’s okay, Thanks in advance give me a shout when you’re heading to chesil sometime.
We are always out..... just think a week ahead.
We are usually there on Spring tides and away on neaps..... your welcome to drop in.

I would add a note of caution.
Are you actually left handed.... blakdog is great but you are going to spend 50 quid on repairs and postage on a reel worth 50 quid.....
Think carefully before you post it, will you end up with what you want.

I could probably be classed as kack handed, my left side doesn’t work fully so hold the rod in my right hand ( I am right handed) and operate handle with my left which kind of leads back to my original post do you use the rod with the guides pointing up as this would make it work for me.

Point taken on the cost and the original idea was to fix it myself to get a better understanding of how it works, best way to learn is to f@@k it up yourself. I do have a cheap multi I can try, Its just an idea at this stage as much as I love my surfblaster 2s they are heavy and ain’t gonna last forever & I’m yet to find a balanced set up I am really happy with.

Don’t spend too much on gear as once when my good side got tired I launched the whole lot seawards but don’t worry I keep a good distance from others & if you’re far enough up the beach I can t walk for long enough to get there. thanks again for the advice.

I could probably be classed as kack handed, my left side doesn’t work fully so hold the rod in my right hand ( I am right handed) and operate handle with my left which kind of leads back to my original post do you use the rod with the guides pointing up as this would make it work for me.

Point taken on the cost and the original idea was to fix it myself to get a better understanding of how it works, best way to learn is to f@@k it up yourself. I do have a cheap multi I can try, Its just an idea at this stage as much as I love my surfblaster 2s they are heavy and ain’t gonna last forever & I’m yet to find a balanced set up I am really happy with.

Don’t spend too much on gear as once when my good side got tired I launched the whole lot seawards but don’t worry I keep a good distance from others & if you’re far enough up the beach I can t walk for long enough to get there. thanks again for the advice.
With using multiplier reels the rod has the eyes facing upon the rod, the opposite with fs reels. Simples ;)

Back