• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Admiralty chart?

Thrasher

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Does anybody know what 02 means on an admiralty chart. I can't type it like it shows it.Zero with a 2 lower beside it.

Does anybody know what 02 means on an admiralty chart. I can't type it like it shows it.Zero with a 2 lower beside it.
Complicated to explain, but the definitive answer would be,

It is a charted depth of 0.2m in that position, if the tide level falls to zero.

However, the tide level never falls to zero, so just add the chart datum to it. The chart datum is defined as the level to which the tide will seldom (if ever) fall to when astronomical factors are taken into consideration, and corresponds to the Lowest Astronomical Tide (LAT)

What you need to do is to look at the tidal stream atlas, and add the 0.2m to which ever applies of the following (tide dependent)

Mean High water springs, Mean High water Neaps, Mean Low water springs, and Mean Low water neaps.

Or in my case I just look at the chartplotter on the boat, and it gives me all that info and works out the depth for me !

If the 0.2 was underlined, then that is a drying height. You often see that on sandbanks etc.

Watching a newbie go out in a boat with no training, kind of worries me sometimes ! All the above is pretty basic stuff, but not a huge number of small boaters would be able to answer the question !

All part of RYA navigation courses as it helps to plot when you can go over something like a bank with the draught of your boat e.g getting into some harbour entrances. Firm believer in certified basic skills required before you jump on boat.
On Monday sorted someone out who had a deeper draught than who had run aground cutting a big corner off the exit route out of Chi Harbour. Fortunately the tide was on the flood.
Tuesday helped a family of 5 on a speed type boat with fuel as they were floating around on the gathering wind & tide 2 miles from the harbour. No radio - no life jackets( except the <2 yr old) & no fuel!

All part of RYA navigation courses as it helps to plot when you can go over something like a bank with the draught of your boat e.g getting into some harbour entrances. Firm believer in certified basic skills required before you jump on boat.
On Monday sorted someone out who had a deeper draught than who had run aground cutting a big corner off the exit route out of Chi Harbour. Fortunately the tide was on the flood.
Tuesday helped a family of 5 on a speed type boat with fuel as they were floating around on the gathering wind & tide 2 miles from the harbour. No radio - no life jackets( except the <2 yr old) & no fuel!
It was for shore fishing info I was asking, not from a boat.

Agree with all you say though.

Back