• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

AFAW Match pro mk2

Is anyone out there using the new match pro mk2
wingnut55 has a pair but whether Ian gets a chance to use them as opposed to the rest of his rod collection is debatable.🤣;) Choices eh!(y)Or should I say spoilt for choices.:ROFLMAO:Hopefully he will have had a chance to use them and give you his honest opinion. (y)

Last edited:
Match Pro MK2' are great rods, they are J curve rods, lovely fishing tips, but are super fast on the recovery, sit well in the tide, and will put a lead a good distance. And very light as well.

Having never used Graphex Supermatch's no idea how they would compare, but the Match Pro MK2 's are not meant for heavy duty work, you would be better off looking at the Tournament Match Pro MK2's.

Ian.

Last edited:
Borrowed a pair to try out and loved using them casts a long way sit lovely in the tide and would use them everywhere bar really rough stuff. Lighter that the match pros i have and both will cast 6-7oz with a smooth action. Only reason I’ve not got a pair yet is I’ve had my match pros rebuilt and love using them. Used them on Chesil west and east also the bc and they never missed a beat.

Cheers for the replies lads . The reason for asking is ive snapped 2 supermatches now in casting and im a bit pissed off about it . Im not a massive caster and only use them for max of 6oz n bait , anything heavier i use my graphex sports . Fair play to century when i snapped tge 1st one they sorted it but 2 rods snapping mmmmm not happy

I’ve got the original gbfs and if there anything like those you won’t snap them some mates use them when they go Ireland fishing for float fishing for pollock off the rocks bomb proof and great fishing rods 👍

Cheers for the replies lads . The reason for asking is ive snapped 2 supermatches now in casting and im a bit pissed off about it . Im not a massive caster and only use them for max of 6oz n bait , anything heavier i use my graphex sports . Fair play to century when i snapped tge 1st one they sorted it but 2 rods snapping mmmmm not happy
Not the first time i,ve heared of Graphex,s snapping. mate up in Durham snapped both his Sports now using Afaw GBFS/Grand prix pro,s. Couple guys down here parted with Century,s gone back to Zzipys.

Christ, you have snapped two of them Reevsey, not good... :eek:

Ian.

Im consistent if nothing else😁
I use them for six n bait work, mostly stingers in the spring and sometimes on chesil when its lumpy.
Completely different to your sports, better tip. Lets catch up you can have a go. Tom uses them too for exactly the same job.
As a five oz I do not rate them, they decompress too quick for me, i do not have the handspeed to load them properly.
With six oz you can bend them, you can put 200g on but prefer a six with longer wires.
They are the only chogi wobble sticks in my arsenal..... that says something I guess.

I use them for six n bait work, mostly stingers in the spring and sometimes on chesil when its lumpy.
Completely different to your sports, better tip. Lets catch up you can have a go. Tom uses them too for exactly the same job.
As a five oz I do not rate them, they decompress too quick for me, i do not have the handspeed to load them properly.
With six oz you can bend them, you can put 200g on but prefer a six with longer wires.
They are the only chogi wobble sticks in my arsenal..... that says something I guess.
A catch up sounds like a plan . Century are building me a new tip for rod . If i like the tournament match pro i might get rid of supermatches and sports . Give me a shout when your next up there . Im at Wembley this weekend for footy.

A catch up sounds like a plan . Century are building me a new tip for rod . If i like the tournament match pro i might get rid of supermatches and sports . Give me a shout when your next up there . Im at Wembley this weekend for footy.
Is Pete on about the Match Pro MK2 or the Tournament Match Pro MK2 Reevsey, as you were asking about the former ?

Ian.

Is Pete on about the Match Pro MK2 or the Tournament Match Pro MK2 Reevsey, as you were asking about the former ?

Ian.
Was asking about match pro originally but now thinking possibly tourny if it would cover all that i need .
Think petes are the tournament

Was asking about match pro originally but now thinking possibly tourny if it would cover all that i need .
Think petes are the tournament
Think the Tourny's would be better for you mate, they are 4 - 7oz rods.. 🎣 🎣

Ian.

Last edited:
I don't suppose anyone knows how the Tournament Match Pro MK1's compare to the MK2 TMPs do they?

I don't suppose anyone knows how the Tournament Match Pro MK1's compare to the MK2 TMPs do they?

dunno about the tmp mk 1 / 2 comparison, BUT, if they are anything like the mk1 match pro v mk2 match pro, i will stick with me mk1 match pros, they do any and everything asked of em, sand to shit rough, 5-8 oz with not a care in the world

had a few swings with the mk2s, really did not like em

dunno about the tmp mk 1 / 2 comparison, BUT, if they are anything like the mk1 match pro v mk2 match pro, i will stick with me mk1 match pros, they do any and everything asked of em, sand to shit rough, 5-8 oz with not a care in the world

had a few swings with the mk2s, really did not like em
Thankyou, thats handy to know. Can you put your finger on what it was you didn't like?

Thankyou, thats handy to know. Can you put your finger on what it was you didn't like?
Tip
Action was a bit stiffer, but just felt too tight across the board
The mk1s were a pleasure to throw from
Day 1, the mk2?, don’t really know why, but feel very different, especially at the 5-6 oz range
My mk1’s have done from the soft south coast, east n west coast up to the Scottish Borders, inc the proper rough stuff in the depths of winter on the n/ e cliff n rough ground marks

Mk1 match pros are a great bargain if you can get hold of a pair. Like I said before will cope with clean ground right through to the reefs and upper Bristol Channel and never let me down there’s only a couple of places I won’t but it’s mainly hussing and conger over real rough ground. Forgiving to and can bang a lead right out, to me the mk2 are great but not so forgiving. Given a choice would take the match pro over the tourney prefer the tip of the match pro.

Tip
Action was a bit stiffer, but just felt too tight across the board
The mk1s were a pleasure to throw from
Day 1, the mk2?, don’t really know why, but feel very different, especially at the 5-6 oz range
My mk1’s have done from the soft south coast, east n west coast up to the Scottish Borders, inc the proper rough stuff in the depths of winter on the n/ e cliff n rough ground marks

Thanks for the insight with that, nice one, much appreciated (y)

Back