• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Alvey reel, braid, and cliff fishing.

Cwab

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Wondering if any are or have been using in last decade or so and have any thoughts as going to have a go this winteršŸ¤”

Seen it done some years back at Bempton. if you get the balance and timing right the big Alveys really sling a bait and lead a long way, get it wrong and it will pull you over like a leaf in the wind.
I was so impressed that I bought all the gear to use off Bemmo . I never actually bit the bullet though .
You need arms like legs to do it , however the big Alveys give you tremendous winching power.

Just a thought, how are you going to winch up a ten pounder ?
An Alvey would do it , but ,as they do not have an anti reverse as far as I know , at least mine doesnt ,your wrists and arms would probably sieze up . You would probably need a cliff pole and wheel and a mate with you to make it work. ..

Good luck if you give it a go.

Dave

Last edited:
Seen it done at Bempton. if you get the balance and timing right the big Alveys really sling a bait and lead a long way . in fact I bought all the gear to use off Bempton Cliffs on the Yorkshire coast. I never actually bit the bullet though .
You need arms like legs to do it , however the big Alveys give you tremendous winching power.

Never considered it off the beaches or rock marks though, the Alveys are just too cumbersome compared to modern Multis or Mangles.
Dad used to fish bempton late sixties early seventies with a bunch of lunatics all using Alveys and back then had a small Alvey for piers, spent a bit of time up there in times past but itā€™s not for mešŸ˜€
Anyhows going to fish some marks round Whitby way this winter and have been playing with a 6ā€ Alvey estuary, 70lb braid coupled with gbfs pro reel down but only in a field with 7oz lead, can only say itā€™s a art I have to master šŸ˜‚
What were your weapons of choice?

Seen it done some years back at Bempton. if you get the balance and timing right the big Alveys really sling a bait and lead a long way, get it wrong and it will pull you over like a leaf in the wind.
I was so impressed that I bought all the gear to use off Bemmo . I never actually bit the bullet though .

An Alvey would do it , but ,as they do not have an anti reverse as far as I know , at least mine doesnt ,your wrists and arms would probably sieze up . You would probably need a cliff pole and wheel and a mate with you to make it work. ..

Dave
Was inspired by robq and jelly worms efforts back in 2014 with his reports on wsf back then but thinking more chance of hand balling on heavy mono šŸ¤” cliffs pole defo on wish list but in development stage involving drey poking sectional pole but maybe a no gošŸ¤·šŸ½ā€ā™‚ļø if you donā€™t mind me asking what Alvey did you go for as mine is a temporary job but has two spools and holds plenty?
Seem to recall from reading said rob at one point was back casting using a conoflex lionheart and Alvey 650bc?
Edit, if you know of a good fish pole design it would be great and thanks for well wishes.
The Cliff pole from distant memory the worthies of bempton used back then involved tv aerial sections and was stashed for the season.

Last edited:

Dave
Sorry for bombardment but just realised your post with pickies from 2013 on another site of jelly worm upt bempton sparked it all off so itā€™s all your fault and thanks a bunch šŸ˜‚šŸ‘ good news is 6ā€ Alvey estuary has anti reverse also poledark (rip) casting post fixed to top of rod keeps pinkies out of way but cannot get past 108 yards but not a caster using a very basic fishing low kind of pendulum Chuck which is great on fs by my standards and casts as far as I will ever need.

Last edited:
Was inspired by robq and jelly worms efforts back in 2014 with his reports on wsf back then but thinking more chance of hand balling on heavy mono šŸ¤” cliffs pole defo on wish list but in development stage involving drey poking sectional pole but maybe a no gošŸ¤·šŸ½ā€ā™‚ļø if you donā€™t mind me asking what Alvey did you go for as mine is a temporary job but has two spools and holds plenty?
Seem to recall from reading said rob at one point was back casting using a conoflex lionheart and Alvey 650bc?
Edit, if you know of a good fish pole design it would be great and thanks for well wishes.
The Cliff pole from distant memory the worthies of bempton used back then involved tv aerial sections and was stashed for the season.

This is the reel, still sits in a cuboard waiting for its big day .šŸ˜‹ You can see its a bit of a beast , weighs a ton !

929B8FBB-9475-43BA-97FD-8DFB0C01B517.jpeg
578FE262-9265-4BF5-A9FA-A0F4850F4FE1.jpeg
B5ABBA9A-9F24-4304-B046-E02BBDB3C020.jpeg

I had a Connie to match it, I think it was a B14, may have been a Rakata, not sure . I sold it on as it was worth a bit, and sat there doing nothing .

You could make a good cliff pole from TV Ariel tube with strong joints , you need a pulley wheel on the end , doesnt need to be big, maybe the wheel off a kids Bike or Scooter would do .
I saw one once made from a Carbon Fibre Sailboard ā€œ mastā€ seemed OK .

Bemmo is certainly not for those with a weak disposition , it may be better to start on Ben Storeys ledge at Filey Brigg,which is a cliff top spot to the left of the first ladder . It was safe enough there back in the day but as with any place your life is in your own hands .
Not fished there for years so not sure of the state of the place now .
Its not the falling off thats the problem, its the landing that makes your eyes water.

Dave

Last edited:
This is the reel, still sits in a cuboard waiting for its big day .šŸ˜‹ You can see its a bit of a beast , weighs a ton !

View attachment 61644
View attachment 61645
View attachment 61646

I had a Connie to match it, I think it was a B14, may have been a Rakata, not sure . I sold it on as it was worth a bit, and sat there doing nothing .

You could make a good cliff pole from TV Ariel tube with strong joints , you need a pulley wheel on the end , doesnt need to be big, maybe the wheel off a kids Bike or Scooter would do .

Bemmo is certainly not for those with a weak disposition , it may be better to start on Ben Storeys ledge at Filey Brigg,which is a cliff top spot to the left of the first ladder . It was safe enough there back in the day but as with any place your life is in your own hands .
Itā€™s not the falling off thats the problem, itā€™s the landing that makes your eyes water.

Dave
A fine example and in nice condition just need the patience of a saint, plenty of Chinese braid and pair of braid cutters and no wind to master it though I am in the learning stages.
The carbon fibre mast section sounds interesting and will have a peak, donā€™t mind bemmo height wise and spent time up there and in the area and partly been down a time or two but not fishing it is just donā€™t like that section of coast to fish and mainly fish north of the Tyne and not been back for fifty years or so and will keep it that way.šŸ˜‚
Anyhows retire this year and fancy giving some of the north yorks cliff marks ago before body says no and have a few spots in mind for the season ahead but in truth doubt I will need the winching power of a Alvey but live in hope.
maybe a return to Ben storyā€™s ledge with your Alvey is one for the bucket list and if so keep us posted and thanks for the good advice. Ps those pictures you posted 2013 were greatšŸ‘

Last edited:

Dave
A ships winch, derick and capstan would work to bring fish up a cliff. ;)

View attachment 61644
View attachment 61645
View attachment 61646

Its not the falling off thats the problem, its the landing that makes your eyes water.

Dave
Just out of interest Dave any info on Ben story as assuming no longer with us but great if he is though but guessing a legend from the sixties ?

No idea Mateā€¦. I have fished Filey Brigg for at least 30 plus years and its always been Ben Storeys Ledge.

Dave
Thanks Dave, itā€™s just the history of some marks interest me as there is a Bernieā€™s ledge up sandsend way.

Back