• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

North Wales An easier week.

Andy 1965

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
After last week’s marathon, I decided to take it a little easier this week and for my first outing on Tuesday, I decided to return to where I caught my only fish last Saturday. Not only because I knew that there were bass there, but also because it would give me shelter from the strong winds, which were forecast to gust up to 50mph+ later in the evening.

I arrived at the mark half an hour before low water, to find calm conditions with the already gusty wind blowing over my right shoulder, and though I hoped it wouldn’t take me quite as long to catch this time 😄, I still wasn’t expecting much until the flood got underway. First lure on was the Mishna and I cast it up-tide and across the flow, before I allowed it to swim around in a large arc and once it had reached back to shore, I repeated the cast.

Now up until that point, I wasn’t sure if I was really up for another session so soon after my gruelling all-dayer, but as I stood in the cool water and took in my surroundings, I felt my mojo returning 😎. The first 2 casts were uneventful, but on only the third cast of the evening my lure was smashed and zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, the attacker made off for deep water 😮. To say I was surprised would be an understatement, but I soon regained my composure and after a second run I had the fish under control. With a potentially decent fish on the line, I took my time in playing it, and after a few minutes I beached my prize on the soft weed.

It wasn’t the monster which the first run had suggested, but at 57cm it was still a decent fish and just 1cm short of my best bass of the year, so I was chuffed to bits with the start to my evening 🥳.
Bass - 156 2023.jpg

With dreams of a bumper session, I fished on expectantly but I had to wait a while for the next piece of action. Low water came and went and it was over 90 minutes before my lure was hit again. This time I could tell immediately that it was a smaller fish, but at 50cm I was still more than happy with it 😊.
Bass - 157 2023.jpg

Time was running out now at this particular mark, but I persevered trying for one last fish, it wasn’t to be though and after 2 hours of the flood I was forced to call it quits and to make a retreat from the flooding tide.

At 22:30 the night was still relatively young, so I gave it an hour at a different mark a short drive away. I didn’t get any more action though and at 23:30 I was beginning to flag, as Saturday’s exertions caught up with me 🥱. Deciding to save myself for my next session, I called it a night and headed for home.

2 days later and it was time for my second session of the week, and having caught there on my last 2 visits, I decided to see if it would be a case of third time lucky at the same mark 🤔. Having caught there late in the ebb on Tuesday, and with low water an hour or so later this time, I would also be able to fish it for a full 4 hours.

After Tuesday’s gale force winds, conditions couldn’t have been much different this time, with mirror calm water and an almost imperceptible breeze blowing. This would enable me to spot every eddy and glide on the surface of the water, to pinpoint where the bass might be feeding, and as a result I was feeling very confident 👍.

Over the next 4 hours I did gets lots of hits but they were mainly half-hearted taps, which I put down to small pollack. I did get one better hit, and the assailant, which I assumed to be a small schoolie, was hooked for a few seconds, but sadly it wasn’t to be and it managed to get away 😢.

Knowing there were small pollack in the area, I could have targeted them with a small Ruf Manic, which has worked for me in the area before, but I decided it was bass or nothing and I persevered with the same tactics.

Eventually this did pay off and I finally hooked something, but it wasn’t the silver I was after. Despite this, I was still relived to avoid the blank and as far as pollack go, at around 35cm it was a half decent size for this particular mark 👌.
Pollack - Oct 19th 2023.jpg

That turned out to be the last of the action for the evening and 2 hours after low water, with the increasing current bringing more and more loose weed with it, and making the fishing increasingly difficult, I called an end to another week of chasing silver.

Back