• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

North Wales Another week in paradise – part 2.

Andy 1965

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
After Tuesday’s successful session, I couldn’t wait to get back for another go, and for Thursday night’s return I was joined by my mate Glyn. We arrived at the mark with a good couple of hours of the flood to go, and I was hoping for another productive night but there was one thing missing. Whereas on Tuesday evening the sea had been a mass of feeding gannets spread out all across the bay, this time they were conspicuous by their absence :unsure:. It wasn’t exactly an encouraging sight, but I hoped that the bass would still be there.

As usual, I started off with the lemon meringue Swimish and keen to help Glyn get off the mark for the year, I equipped him with the same to maximise his chances. The first 20 minutes were quiet, so I gave the Patch and Frosty a quick go at maximum range but just like on Tuesday, it was a switch back to a Swimish in Live which attracted the first sign of interest. Unfortunately the attacker missed the hook but it was a good sign that there were definitely bass about. 10 minutes later and my luck was in, as the next attack resulted in a solid hook-up. Once more the bass were in no mood to give up without a fight, and after a thoroughly enjoyable tussle the blank was beaten again, with a nice 48cm bar of Welsh silver :giggle:.
Bass-48_2022.jpg

Hoping that this was the start of another great session, we both fished on expectantly but it was another half an hour before anything else happened. Again it was my turn to catch and after another great scrap, bass number 2 of the evening was duly landed, and at 47cm it was almost identical in size to my first (y).
Bass-49_2022.jpg

The next 20 minutes resulted in a missed hit each, but we persevered and soon after I was in again. Now this fish was a little special, so I played it very carefully, and after a tense couple of minutes, bass number 3 of the night and 50 for the year was safely landed ?. Yet again it was almost a carbon copy of the other 2 at 48cm ?.
Bass-50_2022.jpg

It was getting on for 10pm now and the light was fading fast, so I knew our time was limited at this particular spot, but there was still time for Glyn to get off the mark. Unfortunately it wasn’t to be, and we both missed a couple of hits each over the next 10 minutes ?. Admitting defeat at this particular spot, Glyn began to wade back towards the shore and I was just about to join him, but not before one last cast ?. As it happened, this was a fantastic decision on my part and my lure was attacked within seconds of splashing down. For the fourth time of the evening, I found myself attached to a very angry silver thing, which turned out to be yet another fish in the same ballpark size at 47cm ?.
Bass-51_2022.jpg

It was definitely time for a move now, so in the gathering gloom we set off along the shore to the cleaner ground. Once there I gave Glyn a quick explanation of what I find works for me and after swapping the Swimish for a heavier and deeper diving Mishna, we waded out to begin round 2.

After a couple of weeks of the water doing a very passable impression of soup at this particular spot, I was pleasantly surprised to find that it was actually starting to clear a little, but would this make any difference to the fishing I wondered? Encouragingly, the first 30 minutes resulted in a couple of small taps for me and Glyn actually hooked and lost what was probably a small schoolie, so things were certainly looking more promising than they had on Tuesday.

We fished on for another 20 minutes and finally it was Glyn’s turn for some action, when his lure was hit again, no more than 5 meters away from him. This time the bass made no mistake and Glyn was finally connected to a very disgruntled bass. After catching a few myself, I was glad to see him getting in on the action, and I kept my fingers crossed that it wouldn’t get away, but thankfully the hook hold was secure. After watching me demonstrate all evening how it should be done ?, Glyn made no mistakes and very soon he was finally off the mark for 2022, with yet another nice fish of 48cm ?.
Glyn Bass-1_2022.jpg

The time was getting on by now but we couldn’t leave while the bass were feeding, so we gave it another half an hour. We didn’t see any more action though and eventually, with the wind starting to pick up, and conditions deteriorating by the minute, we called it a night on another thoroughly enjoyable session ?.

Back