• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

North Wales Anything City can do..................

Andy 1965

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
Due to family commitments, I was only able to get out fishing once this week, and having looked at the forecast, I decided to give the football a miss on Wednesday night, (well I had just watched City beat United a few days before ?) and to head out fishing instead. Though it was promised to be the windiest night of the week, it was also the driest and I decided I would rather be windswept than wet ?.

All week long, I had a mark in mind where I haven’t fished for a while, but where I caught at this time last year, but a last check of the forecast before I left work showed me that there had in fact been a slight change in the wind direction ?. After a quick look at Google Maps and the tide table, I changed my mind about where to go and I decided to head to the same mark I’ve been doing quite well at lately on the ebb instead. I only hoped that this last-minute change of plan wouldn’t backfire on me ?.

I arrived at the mark around an hour and a quarter before high water and thankfully I found it was pretty much sheltered from the worst of the wind. There was still a blustery breeze, blowing over my right shoulder but this was offshore, meaning that the water was calm and gin clear. I immediately rigged up with the mighty Mishna and after casting diagonally up tide, I took in a deep breath of fresh air, and I felt the stress of the day start to melt away as I began my retrieve. Despite the blustery conditions, it was a surprisingly pleasant evening to be out, not particularly cold and with mainly clear skies, so I was feeling quite confident of a bass or two, even so, I wasn’t prepared for what happened next.

As my lure swung around in the current, I was retrieving it back up tide against the flow and it was only a couple of feet away from the rod tip, when it was hit without warning ?. It all happened so quickly, that I didn’t have time to react before the bass powered off for deeper water, and all I could do was to hold on tight but sadly, after no more than 3 or 4 seconds, the bass managed to throw the hook and to make good it’s escape ?.

I was of course a bit disappointed, but after such a fantastic start I was massively excited for the evening ahead.

Perhaps surprisingly, the next hour was quiet with no signs of life, apart from a solitary sea trout leaping clear of the water, but I was certain that I would catch something and sure enough, my Mishna was eventually hit again. This time the attack came at distance, meaning that the rod was more able to cushion the lunges of the fish as it tried to get away, but despite this, the fish actually took some line against the drag! After a spirited scrap I landed my catch and though at 50cm it was a decent enough fish ?, it wasn’t as big as I expected from the fight.
Bass-127_2022.jpg

After a quick picture the fish swam off strongly, then once I’d tightened up my drag slightly ? I was back in the game.

The next hour was quiet again but with the tide now well on the ebb, I knew it was only a matter of time before the bass started to feed more enthusiastically. Sure enough, bass number 2 of the evening eventually showed up and at 50cm, it was a carbon copy of the first ?.
Bass-128_2022.jpg

This signalled the start of a busy period and over the next hour I caught another 4 bass of 44cm
Bass-129_2022.jpg

52cm
Bass-130_2022.jpg

51cm
Bass-131_2022.jpg

and 49cm
Bass-132_2022.jpg

as well as loosing another couple, but eventually this run of fish came to an end.

I fished on for another hour, but the bass must have moved on, and no more hits were forthcoming. I wasn’t complaining though, as my last-minute change of plan had paid off handsomely and with the score at 6-3 to me, I had matched City’s result in the Manchester derby ?.

Cheers gents (y).

Back